The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

black side panels

3 posters

Go down

black side panels Empty black side panels

Post by george p Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:21 pm

hi all
im restoring my 1996 duetto and am about to paint it after replacing wings  sills etc
ive got a couple of questions that i hope someone can avise me on
the black plastic side panels were bonded on with a grey sealer type bonding that remained soft and on a hot day would drip from underneath the panel so when i put them back what type of bonding should i use?
also because they have weatherd and are almost grey now what type of colour restorer to get them black again should i use?
   thank george
george p
george p

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

black side panels Empty Re: black side panels

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:37 pm

George you really only need to post a query once in one section of the forum, not spread it all over the place, it just causes work for the mods tidying it up and they don't need the hassle.
Whatever you use to darken the plastic panel will only last a couple of months. I used Meguelars on my Transit bumpers and it brought them up a treat, but it needs another dose 2 months later. So far Meguelars seems to last the longest, the current Autoglym product is rubbish and washes off in the first shower.  
You could always try the hairdryer method (see Youtube), but whilst it brings colour back to the surface for a while it can only be done once and is not without risks such as melting the plastic or shattering the glass underneath,
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

black side panels Empty Re: black side panels

Post by Lancy Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:52 pm

I had an old van and ended up getting it sprayed black at a body chop. Well worth it
Lancy
Lancy

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down