The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hab unit fried?

2 posters

Go down

Hab unit fried? Empty Hab unit fried?

Post by Jasperjay Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi all, hoping someone can help. Apologies for war and peace in advance but hopefully helps. Model in Q is the later 2002 trident based on the VW t4 2.5 tdi. 

We were returning from a day trip out in the wagon on Sunday and all of a sudden our cabin filled with smoke. I calmly pulled over and soon realised it wasn’t an engine problem rather the leisure battery under my seat had somehow dislodged and the + made contact with the metal rail - short and melted ground cable later.... thankfully the fire put itself out sharpish without intervention. 

Initial thinking was well a new leisure battery and new terminals no biggie. 

Here’s where I need the help. Having disconnected the remaining intact terminal I set off home. When I connected to the EHU though not a thing. Hab unit wasn’t registering anything. No power whatsoever. However power is getting in as the RCD will trip out when tested. 

So my thinking at this point is the control panel fuses have blown on the Hab. Why else would the EHU not work unless the LB is a part of the circuit which defeats the split relay I’ve been looking at with a bemused stare amongst other things. Having chased wires where I can (found an interesting battery charging box which is set to off hiding in the compartment under the larder beside the heater) I can’t for the life of me find the 10a fuses for the Hab control panel. 

Any ideas anyone?!? I’ve been through the manual which confirms the existence of these fuses. Where are they hiding? Probably just another thing to rule out once I do tbh. I’ve put the relay fuses on the multimeter and they’re all fine.

We’re booked out for the first night of site reopening on 4th July and prospect of no power on EHU doesn’t excite. 

Cheers In advance. 

Ben
Jasperjay
Jasperjay

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Hab unit fried? Empty Re: Hab unit fried?

Post by Roopert Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:18 pm

Hi Ben - I don't know the electrical layout of a 2002 Trident at all - what make of control panel do you have?

One thing you can be fairly sure about - as the engine was running at the time of the short, the split charge relay will have been engaged, and the short will have tried to pull 100A+ through that circuit, so the split charge fuse(s) will almost certainly be blown. They will probably be inline fuses adjacent to each battery - typically you need to lift up the wires where they lead away from the battery and you will find the fuses. though on our T5 there is a small 3-way fuse panel on the front rail of the engine compartment (hidden under a battery cover in our case).

Is the leisure battery still missing, and the earth strap for it, or have you replaced these? If they are still missing and the split charge fuses are blown then there will be no power at the panel. I'm not sure how they would have wired the connection from charger/power supply to the panel, unfortunately, but it may be that no battery power at the panel means the charger will not be connected to anything, if a relay is involved somewhere.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Jasperjay Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:46 pm

Thanks Roopert. I’ve not moved the battery yet nor replaced the earth strap. I was about to today when I realised that all the fuses on the relay 2x 30a and 1x15 where still decent. As were the 70a and 40a relay. Then the battery itself is still actually alive.  I didn’t get a chance to go under bonnet as we’ve had some serious electrical storms tonight and not a good place to be!! I’d have expected the EHU to work in the absence of the LB though. That’s were I’m confused. If it were dead for example or in that instance does it act as some sort of ‘dumb’ conductor?
Jasperjay
Jasperjay

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:49 pm

Can't really contribute much further as I've no idea what control panel/power control system you have!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down