The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz

+3
rose49f
Dutto
Jetton
7 posters

Go down

Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz Empty Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz

Post by Jetton Fri May 25, 2012 11:12 am

Sorry to appear silly to ask this but how do you open the water tank cap. I have put the key in and turned anti-clockwise, tried to unscrew anti-clockwise but nothing budges, tried to pull but nothing budges? Any help please?
from a 'very new to this Newbie'

Thanks

UPDATE: Have trawled the 'net and have found the answer - maybe this will help any new Topaz owners: Insert the key and turn anti-clockwise. It should turn about 1/4 turn from locked to unlocked. Now remove the key, push the cap firmly inwards and turn it anti-clockwise to undo it.

Best wishes to all

Janet & Tony

Last edited by Jetton on Fri May 25, 2012 12:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : answer found)
Jetton
Jetton

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz Empty Re: Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz

Post by Dutto Sat May 26, 2012 1:21 am

Hi there,

Most water tank locks have a ratchet on them.

When "locked" the ratchet disengages, the cap rotates in the hole and therefore cannot be removed.

When "unlocked" the ratchet connects and the cap unscrews in an anti-clockwise direction.

You normally have to hold the cap whilst you turn the key in the lock to stop the cap turning.

If it is seized then I would try dipping the key into some olive oil and then running it in and out of the keyhole a few times before trying to unlock it. (Don't use mineral oil or release fluid as you don't want to contaminate the water tank!)

One definite rule is DO NOT try and force anything. If you snap off the key or mangle the cap it will normally result in a need for both a cap and a receptacle instead of just a cap.

Hope this helps. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz Empty Thanks

Post by Jetton Sat May 26, 2012 10:14 am

Thank you for your reply Dutton. All is now well. Enjoy this beautiful weather!

Best wishes

Janet & Tony
Jetton
Jetton

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz Empty locking water cap

Post by rose49f Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Just foung your post on unlocking the water cap. I've just had the same problem on my, new to me, camper. My husand managed it in the end but then he had problems locking it. He did it in the end but can't remembered what he did. I now have unlocking in black and white. Is locking the same only reversed or is there a trick to that as well. scratch head
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz Empty Re: Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz

Post by Paulmold Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:56 pm

Basically, to lock, just push and twist clockwise, then hold cap steady while you turn the key. Likewise to unlock, hold cap steady (to stop it freely turning), turn key anti-clockwise, then push slightly and turn anti-clockwise to undo.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Opening cap of water tank fill - Topaz Empty Thanks

Post by rose49f Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks for that. Sounds so simple now but you should have seen me this morning trying to open it. You've Been Framed would have paid for a video clip of it. I will now go and have a practice. hugegrins
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by petern Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:35 pm

Have read this revived correspondance with interest as we have been driven bonkers while trying to get the water cap off - we can do it on about one in ten attempts (but can't work out what we have done when it does work!). Unlike other contributors, ours seems to lock by turning anticlockwise, rather than the other way round. After unlocking, and getting it to turn (with or without the key still in) and pushing, the cap only rarely comes off.

Presumably this means that the cap is u/s but if it needs replacing, how do we get it off!!

petern
petern
petern

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:09 pm

Your post made me laugh. Sorry!!!! Only I can see myself trying to open mine. Video yourselves next time for You've Been Framed. You will then have £250 for a new cap. hugegrins
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:13 pm

On the subject of water filler caps, whilst I don't know where the filler is on the Topaz, on the clubman it's fairly close to the nearside cab door.

That's handy, because - having driven off on one occasion leaving the filler cap on the wall next to the tap from which I was filling - it's therefore easy to tie a length of cord to the filler-cap key, and when the key is not in use it can be stowed just inside the cab door. The key is thereby always readily available and can't get lost. It also means that, having opened the cap, you can leave the key in it (with cord attached) and put it temporarily on the passenger seat or elsewhere - you won't lose the cap!
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by madasabrush Mon May 29, 2017 11:56 am

Help please, l have followed this advice, on my T4, the cap appears to lock and unlock but the cap just turns round and round but l can't get it off!!!! Madasabrush
madasabrush
madasabrush

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW trooper, pop up r
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Mon May 29, 2017 12:30 pm

Unlock anticlockwise l think then push the cap in as hard as you can and turn still pushed in. Clockwise l think. Good luck. I still get it wrong but it will work. If you still can't manage it let me know and l will go down and see which way l turn. I think the trick is to make sure you push the cap in VERY firmly and turn after you unlock
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by madasabrush Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:56 pm

Thanks a mechanic finally removed it for me, and l've replaced it with a new one from autosleepers, much easier now
Madasabrush
madasabrush
madasabrush

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW trooper, pop up r
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:19 pm

Thought of you today when I filled my van up. Turned anti clockwise heard a click and then  noticed the cap didn't turn easily either left or right. Turned it clockwise and it opened but if you didn't know it was open you would struggle. Glad you're sorted.
allthumbz
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down