The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Clothes drying rack fittings

+8
Roopert
Bev
harrysp
SallyB
Dave 418
Heanorboy
Quilter
Relaxez-Vous
12 posters

Go down

Clothes drying rack fittings Empty Clothes drying rack fittings

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon May 11, 2020 7:56 pm

Ian (in ASOC) showed me the natty wooden fitments/blocks he'd made to allow a standard wire folding caravan clothes drying rack to be mounted along the slots of the sliding door of their Kemerton XL. If the weather had been warmer today I'd have started making some for our van.

For years the Caravan Club prohibited any wet washing being strung up on a washing line. The alternative choices were either a folding wire rack that you slotted onto an open window, better on a small window if you were going out for the day, or in more recent years a free standing tripod clothes dryer, but it's subject to being blown over in the wind.

Has anyone else made something similar?

As an aside, has anyone had any clothes out drying lost or perhaps stolen? Looking at some old 35mm films recently I see I'm wearing a T-shirt that I don't recognise, where did that one go? Here I'm talking more of continental holidaying not in the UK. Probably the most likely is that it remained in a camp site's washing machine after the spin cycle.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Clothes drying rack fittings Empty Re: Clothes drying rack fittings

Post by Quilter Mon May 11, 2020 9:04 pm

Relaxez-Vous wrote:Ian (in ASOC) showed me the natty wooden fitments/blocks he'd made to allow a standard wire folding caravan clothes drying rack to be mounted along the slots of the sliding door of their Kemerton XL. If the weather had been warmer today I'd have started making some for our van.

For years the Caravan Club prohibited any wet washing being strung up on a washing line. The alternative choices were either a folding wire rack that you slotted onto an open window, better on a small window if you were going out for the day, or in more recent years a free standing tripod clothes dryer, but it's subject to being blown over in the wind.

If the rack you mention is what I think it is then it has one big snag: it's too close to the side of the van and clothes are blown onto the van and get dirty. 

The camping version of the free-standing tripod dryer you mention weighs practically nothing and always comes with slots in the base to peg it down with. Three tent pegs and it will not move, even when fully loaded in a real gale.

I've never had any clothes stolen from a campsite but have, at least twice, had someone take my clothes and towels in when it started to rain when we were out for the day.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Mon May 11, 2020 9:05 pm

Clothes drying rack fittings Z I have one of these solves the problem, just fixes on the bike rack

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Mon May 11, 2020 9:43 pm

I thought I was being clever when I removed the bike rack from the Rienza, we don’t have bikes. Managements first comment was were are we going to hang the washing now. 
We bought a thing you hang on the window to replace the bike rack.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by SallyB Tue May 12, 2020 12:53 am

Just recently fitted a removable drying rail in the Warwick,one of the many lockdown jobs I have been busying myself with.
Had something similar in my old van.
Useful thing is clothes can drip dry into the shower tray or if pushed close off all the heater outlets save the shower room one and force dry.
Saves ironing too.
SallyB
SallyB
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 12, 2020 9:11 am

three legged clothes airer used all over Europe....just ensure the securing pegs are well hammered in...
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Tue May 12, 2020 11:26 am

bolero boy wrote:three legged clothes airer used all over Europe....just ensure the securing pegs are well hammered in...
Us too. When the gale becomes a tornado use a large water bottle (full) to keep it down. An essential piece of kit that hopefully we’ll use again one day soon.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Tue May 12, 2020 2:00 pm

We have a very small van ( sadly no longer an Autosleeper) so storage is always a huge consideration.

For years we have used two old tent poles about 4 feet tall and 2 guy ropes with bit of washing line between. Packs down to nothing and gives lots of drying space... the actual line with 'smalls' on the guy ropes. We can also drive away and leave the washing out!

Don't know why we don't see more folk do the same. I have occasionally thought I should market it as an 'item' and make my next million pounds! 🤣
Bev
Bev

Female

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : N/a

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Tue May 12, 2020 2:07 pm

....and..... we keep a couple of those expandable curtains rails fitted tightly across skylight, above where blinds close so we can still close the blind at night.

Great for hanging bits of laundry from in the day as you get the 'conservatory' effect and they dry really quickly. Can also hang shirts, trousers etc from the rails on hangers.
Bev
Bev

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue May 12, 2020 2:34 pm

Bev wrote:For years we have used two old tent poles about 4 feet tall and 2 guy ropes with bit of washing line between.
My understanding is that none of the "club" sites will allow a washing line to be deployed on site in this way - though I confess I have never actually tried.

I was, however, told at the club Glencoe site next to the visitor centre that my act of hanging my just-washed T-shirt on the branch of a tree that hung over the edge of the site was "totally unacceptable behaviour"!

Of course, I complied with the request to remove it (as soon as the shirt was dry).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Bev Tue May 12, 2020 5:14 pm

We've never been asked to remove it and we often use Club sites. There are just 4 tent pegs holding it into the ground....just like the whirly gig types use to hold them in place. 

Sites certainly don't want washing lines attached to fences, trees etc...
 😀
Bev
Bev

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed May 13, 2020 9:26 am

For anyone with a Fiamma wind out canopy, someone on this forum kindly pointed me in the direction of Fiamma hangers, that slide in to the channel of the awning facia. 
They’re basically a stainless steel ‘S’ hook that goes through a drilled plastic insert, ideal for lighter stuff with the canopy partially wound out, or heavier stuff when the legs are deployed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

quentinsf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed May 13, 2020 9:32 am

I’ve also got a bespoke clothes airer fitted to the offside of the van. It sometimes comes in handy for transporting our sea kayaks too  winks 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Wed May 13, 2020 5:12 pm

Looks like the work of Karitec to me Kingham!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed May 13, 2020 9:27 pm

Certainly is up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by quentinsf Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:36 pm

Revisiting this old (but useful) thread, has anyone tried a suction-mounted drying rail, like one of [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] or [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]?
quentinsf
quentinsf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:21 pm

Like Kingham, we also use the 'S' hooks that fit into the awning channel, and these are very useful for individual items, including wet anorak after a walk.

For larger wash, we use a fold-up A frame:

Sling a guy rope over each end and peg down tight and it is quite secure.
Folds down to 33cm, and comes with a handy bag.  Works well for us, and never had a problem using it on club sites.
Available on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0BGL44LLJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

quentinsf likes this post

Back to top Go down