The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2014 Symbol 230v outlet problem

3 posters

Go down

2014 Symbol 230v outlet problem Empty 2014 Symbol 230v outlet problem

Post by Daves Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:15 pm

The 3 MCBs in my 2014 Symbol have NOT tripped but MCB 2 appears to have failed.  The Space Heater is not working together with the 2 outlets on the same circuit.  MCB 1 (primary 230v outlets) and MCB 3 (12v charger) appear to be working ok.  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks - Daves
Daves
Daves

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

2014 Symbol 230v outlet problem Empty Re: 2014 Symbol 230v outlet problem

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:21 pm

On most Sargent PSUs there are two 9 pin outlet plugs into the bottom of the unit. One plug may have worked loose, wiggle them, may help.(power off)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:16 pm

MCBs rarely fail in my experience. It’s more likely to be a connection problem somewhere. The 230Vac supply from the PSU is connected to the loads via a 9way connector and a wiring harness, so this is the first thing to check as Ploughlin advises. The age of your van is similar to ours, in which case you may well have an EC155 PSU and the 230V wiring harness will be as shown in the link below.  This may help you to check the continuity between the PSU, the heater and the relevant socket outlets.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you had said it was just the heater that wasn’t working then I’d have suggested you check the fused spur that supplies it, in case it’s been switched off.  However the fact that your sockets fed by the same MCB are also not working indicates the problem is nearer to the PSU.

Unless you’re competent with 230V systems I would suggest you check continuity with a multimeter and with the PSU powered down.  If you’re unable to progress beyond that level of checking then turn to a professional electrician.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Daves Wed Feb 19, 2020 6:41 pm

Many thanks for your replies.  As part of winterising, my van is permanently hooked up and a small oil-filled heater set on low from one of 2 outlets under the offside bed.  I check it weekly but today find the heater is not working.  It works ok from 2 other outlets which I guess are supplied via MCB 1.  I also turned the space heater on electric but that didn’t work either.  I’ll check out the system as you suggest.  No evidence of vermin but I guess if a mouse had got in there behind the PSU, and chewed the supply, the MCB would have tripped?
Thanks - Daves
Daves
Daves

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down