The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas-it for Autosleeper Trophy

5 posters

Go down

Gas-it for Autosleeper Trophy Empty Gas-it for Autosleeper Trophy

Post by leonardo1776 Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:48 pm

Hi,

Has any one had experience of fitting a Gas-it or other external gas cylinder filling system to a Trophy. As you probably know, the Trophy has two small Camping-Gaz cylinders in an internal locker at the back of the shower/toilet section. This makes buying gas very expensive and awkward. All the videos I've seen for fitting the Gas-it system have been for an external Gas locker.

Leonardo
leonardo1776
leonardo1776

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Gas-it for Autosleeper Trophy Empty Re: Gas-it for Autosleeper Trophy

Post by daisy mae Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:51 pm

In my Topaz, same arrangement, I have one 3.9 calor butane gas bottle, will hold two bottles , as I did have in my first Topaz.. bigger than the ones you have. I am still looking for another 3.9 butane bottle empty.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm

will a safefill bottle fit in the locker
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:27 pm

Don`t know , never had one.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:49 pm

the safefill bottle is a cheaper option than the gas it system
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by leonardo1776 Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:02 pm

leonardo1776 wrote:Hi,

Has any one had experience of fitting a Gas-it or other external gas cylinder filling system to a Trophy. As you probably know, the Trophy has two small Camping-Gaz cylinders in an internal locker at the back of the shower/toilet section. This makes buying gas very expensive and awkward. All the videos I've seen for fitting the Gas-it system have been for an external Gas locker.

Leonardo
It looks like the answer to my query, quoted above, is in the negative.

After a cursory glance at the Safefill web site, it seems that the whole advantage of the Gas-it system, ie the ability/provision of an external refilling point (just like the water input) for use with the gas refilling facilities widespread in the UK and Europe, is lost with the Safefill. I would still have to lug the Safefill cylinders to the refill nozzles, and there is no guarantee that trans UK and EU there will be suitable connections.  or am I missing something.

I will post a query to Gas-it.....Thank you all
leonardo1776
leonardo1776

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:57 am

Hi

"Lug" doesn't apply to Safefill bottles. They are very light and have large, convenient handles.

They come with a multi-lingual sheet explaining that they are fitted with all the safety shut-off gear, so in theory there should (!) be no problem if you brandish the sheet at the kiosk before filling . . . which can be easily done without removing the bottle from the van.

Haven't used one abroad, but someone will have. They are fine for this country.

P.S. Check sizes. They are quite bulky.

P.P.S. In my opinion the best arrangement is a single Gas-It or Gaslow  bottle with a standard Calor as a spare - which is kept for just that purpose. It would be used only when the re-fillable runs out, until it could be topped up

This should never occur, since the re-fillable can be topped up at any time. An advantage to a Safefill is the translucency of the bottle, so you can see the level of the LPG at a glance.

P.P.P.S. Alugas is a much lighter alternative you may want to consider.
 [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:30 pm

Gaslow market a 'camper' sized refillable at 3.9kg if this will fit or the locker modified to allow it....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by NicP Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:53 pm

Hi Leonardo,
I have fitted 2 Gaslow refillable bottles to my Trophy. The smallest size that Gaslow do. These are Gaslow Twin Cylinder Refillable System R67 2.7kg, Auto Changeover, Filler Kit: Black, 1.5m Hose, Regulator Hoses: 2 x 0.75m, Outlet: Hose Nozzle. I used a Gas it hole saw kit 86mm and 70mm to cut a hole in the side of the van into the gas locker. The kit gives you the filler and foreign adaptors. The bottles work really well and cost very little to refill. I also bought a rubber boot from Gasit to fit on the inside of the locker where the filler pipe comes through. The hole saws are bi-metal so will cut through the metal gas locker on a slow speed hand drill. We have travelled to France several times and its easy to refill the bottles from any service station where autogas is sold. Quite a few do on the Autoroutes and we use an app to see where they are. This kit did cost about £650 but it works really well.
Hope this helps.
Nic
NicP
NicP

Male

Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by leonardo1776 Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:17 pm

NicP wrote:Hi Leonardo,
I have fitted 2 Gaslow refillable bottles to my Trophy. The smallest size that Gaslow do. These are Gaslow Twin Cylinder Refillable System R67 2.7kg, Auto Changeover, Filler Kit: Black, 1.5m Hose, Regulator Hoses: 2 x 0.75m, Outlet: Hose Nozzle. I used a Gas it hole saw kit 86mm and 70mm to cut a hole in the side of the van into the gas locker. The kit gives you the filler and foreign adaptors. The bottles work really well and cost very little to refill. I also bought a rubber boot from Gasit to fit on the inside of the locker where the filler pipe comes through. The hole saws are bi-metal so will cut through the metal gas locker on a slow speed hand drill. We have travelled to France several times and its easy to refill the bottles from any service station where autogas is sold. Quite a few do on the Autoroutes and we use an app to see where they are. This kit did cost about £650 but it works really well.
Hope this helps.
Nic
Hi Nic,

£650!!! that's a load of cash! I realised that a 'big' disadvantage of having the gas bottles inside, is that you can't see when they are full (and take advantage of the transparency of the bottles). I will switch over to the 'plastic' variety, if only for their lightness and ability to see the gas remaningh, but will not cut through, but just take them out.  Thanks every one, for all their help.

I have upgraded my Trophy, to have a fold down TV/games consul, a rear view mirror mounted, rear view display and a forward and rearward bleep-bleeper system, with the indicators mounted in front of and behind a Dinky type model of a VW T4 - you may gather that I am paranoid about hitting anything when parking!!
leonardo1776
leonardo1776

Male

Back to top Go down