The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing a light bulb on a Symbol

5 posters

Go down

Changing a light bulb on a Symbol Empty Changing a light bulb on a Symbol

Post by orian Sun May 13, 2012 1:12 pm

I was speaking to someone this week who asked me how you change a rear light bulb (reversing/indicator/stop) on my Symbol. I had to admit I did not know so I consulted the Peugeot handbook which talks about removing fixings behind the light. Unfortunately it is not possible to see the rear of the lights; one side is behind paneling by the fridge whilst the other is behind the toilet/shower. scratch head

Of course I started imagining being in the back of beyond in Europe with a failed rear light and being pursued by the local police. think_smiley_46

Before I contact Autosleeper for advice, has anyone a simple answer to this problem?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol 2011

Back to top Go down

Changing a light bulb on a Symbol Empty Re: Changing a light bulb on a Symbol

Post by njr001 Sun May 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Apologies to anybody who is offended that I haven't introduced myself prior to posting for the first time.
Bulb replacement is a pain but the near side is marginally easier.

You should find that you have a long box spanner in the Peugeot tool kit supplied and a long screwdriver blade which can be inserted in the box spanner to act as a lever, these are required to unscrew the two nuts on each light cluster. For nearside, open rear door and then open the narrow cupboard, inside at the LHS the wooden panel has a 'finger hole' and is held in place by four screws, remove this panel and the insert box spanner and with difficulty you can unscrew the lens which enables bulbs to be replaced. On the offside you need to remove the plastic tray and wooden infill panel and repeat the process - as an alternative it may be possible to gain access by removing the lower fridge vent.

Given the comparatively low cost of the bulbs it may be worth replacing them on a regular basis to reduce the likelihood of them failing at inappropriate moment.
njr001

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sun May 13, 2012 10:32 pm

njr001 wrote:Given the comparatively low cost of the bulbs it may be worth replacing them on a regular basis to reduce the likelihood of them failing at inappropriate moment.
If they are so awkward to get at, they sound like prime candidates for LED replacements.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by orian Mon May 14, 2012 8:20 am

Thanks njr001 for a really useful first post. When I can find time I will try out your directions. up!

Frank - I did not know you could buy LED stop, reversing and indicator lamps.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon May 14, 2012 8:42 am

I don't know exactly what type of bulbs your van has (It's newer than mine) but if you search ebay for LED Stop light bulb / LED Tail light bulb etc you'll get thousands of hits.

HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Wed May 16, 2012 6:14 pm

I've always cut a small panel out of the panel behind the toilet as a storage cubby, there's quite a lot of usable space in there. It gives access to the nearside rear light and to the bathroom plumbing. With a bit of varnished trim around the opening (approx 300mm x 300mm) and re-using the cut-out piece to make a door (with trim) it looks OK.
I need to check the Harmony access on the offside as the fridge panel is right up against the back door frame. Could be a challenge ?
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed May 16, 2012 6:30 pm

newterry wrote:I've always cut a small panel out of the panel behind the toilet as a storage cubby, there's quite a lot of usable space in there. It gives access to the nearside rear light and to the bathroom plumbing. With a bit of varnished trim around the opening (approx 300mm x 300mm) and re-using the cut-out piece to make a door (with trim) it looks OK.
I need to check the Harmony access on the offside as the fridge panel is right up against the back door frame. Could be a challenge ?

If your van is the same one as your avatar, you don't need to mess about like that! just undo the two screws on the rear light cluster and the whole unit comes away for bulb changing.
Orian's van is the later Boxer so I imagine his rear light clusters are different to mine.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed May 16, 2012 6:35 pm

newterry wrote:I've always cut a small panel out of the panel behind the toilet as a storage cubby, there's quite a lot of usable space in there. It gives access to the nearside rear light and to the bathroom plumbing. With a bit of varnished trim around the opening (approx 300mm x 300mm) and re-using the cut-out piece to make a door (with trim) it looks OK.

I saw a Symphony with exactly that cut-out cupboard with trim around for sale at Newark. Perhaps it was one of yours.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Changing a light bulb on a Symbol Empty Changing a light bulb on a Symbol

Post by newterry Wed May 16, 2012 7:10 pm

I did it to my Harmony way back when I first had it, it was still there when we got her back last year, then to a Dorset back in 2003 which left us in 2009.
You have to be a bit brave, I gently levered open part of the full panel before cutting to check where the water pipe runs were. The space is very usuable providing there's a decent bottom lip (200mm) to stop stuff falling out. I can get a hook-up cable, 2 bottles of toilet chemical and levelling blocks in there.
The Dorset had a cross bar half way up but the Harmony space goes right up without any obstructions, I suppose you could make it into a full height cupboard, if you're really brave (or desperate for space!)
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed May 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Paulmold wrote:I saw a Symphony with exactly that cut-out cupboard with trim around for sale at Newark. Perhaps it was one of yours.
I've done this with mine too, (not been to Newark for about 4 years so it won't have been me) I haven't put any hinges on the door, it just lifts off / out. Quite a few people have done this mod.
I did it to utilise the space, not to get at the rear lights though content

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down