The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remove/fix propex heater from 1995 Symphony

5 posters

Go down

Remove/fix propex heater from 1995 Symphony Empty Remove/fix propex heater from 1995 Symphony

Post by janice171 Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:33 am

Hi,

My heater isn't working and after speaking with the helpful people at Propex it sounds like it could be an incorrect spark gap. (It could also be a few other things but this is the one i thought i might be able to fix myself).
Has anyone removed one of these heaters that reside beneath the sofa.
The propane bottle is full and leisure battery charged so i'd like to try to fix this before resorting to returning to Propex to fix.

Thanks for any help
janice171
janice171

Female

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony 2.5 diesel
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Remove/fix propex heater from 1995 Symphony Empty Re: Remove/fix propex heater from 1995 Symphony

Post by Roopert Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:46 am

I've never owned a Symphony, but I had a slightly older Rapport with Propex heating and I didn't have too much trouble removing that (only to discover that it was the poor old leisure battery letting me down - should not be the problem in your case). They are pretty simple devices compared with some heaters.

They are (of course) plumbed into the gas supply, and so need a "competent person" to reconnect them - but I'll leave it to you to use your own judgement about that.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Remove/fix propex heater from 1995 Symphony Empty Re: Remove/fix propex heater from 1995 Symphony

Post by finbar Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:56 pm

Just as a warning about opening up the case of a Propex 1600 compact. it is sealed with a sealant to totally enclose the combustion section of the heater. It may look like an ordinary silicone sealant. but suspect it is at least designed to withstand heat. It is important that the case is resealed correctly to avoid burnt gases from entering the campervan. I speak from experience about trying to diagnose the faults. (and I'm an engineer) After a lot of faffing about it proved to be the best thing to return it to Propex. It will be returned in a safe and updated manner with a warranty.  smile!
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by finbar Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:00 pm

It is possible to check that the thermosat is functioning correctly. This was my experience 
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] 
Whistle1
finbar
finbar

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW Trident
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by janice171 Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:43 pm

Thanks very much for your answers. I may well send it back to Propex to be fixed if the other options don't work.
janice171
janice171

Female

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony 2.5 diesel
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:50 pm

HI 
I have some fitting instructions for a Propex 1600 which may be of help, if you P.M. me with email address i can send them to you, they are in pdf format so you would need Adobe reader to see them
mike 
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by NCB Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:07 am

Hi there, I had a red propex heater in my previous Holdsworth camper. Not long after we got the van we were using it one night and the carbon monoxide alarm went off . 
The heater wasn't working properly although it was producing heat.   I was very glad to have the alarm that night! 
Once home I removed the heater and sent it back to Propex they said it had been bodged at some point and the fan was fitted so it was running in the wrong direction. 
They replaced some parts, tested the heater and returned it for about £100. It gives a lot of peace of mind to know it is working safely. Its a fairly simple job to remove the heater, if it is in any doubt I would return it  to them.

NCB
NCB
NCB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down