The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1.9 petrol VW T4 - What would you overhaul?

3 posters

Go down

1.9 petrol VW T4 - What would you overhaul? Empty 1.9 petrol VW T4 - What would you overhaul?

Post by Nickmac_21 Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:50 am

Hi, I have recently purchased a 1.9 petrol VW trident 1993 and it has 110,000 miles on. I intend next year to do some longer road trips so just wondered if I could change a few things to try and prevent unwanted breakdowns, I have a mechanic who says these are good engines if looked after but if you go in the T4 forum on Facebook it seems like all they do is breakdown!! What is recommended to renew to try and extend life? Thanks everyone!
Nickmac_21
Nickmac_21

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

1.9 petrol VW T4 - What would you overhaul? Empty Re: 1.9 petrol VW T4 - What would you overhaul?

Post by NCB Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:42 pm

HI there

welcome to the forum...

We had a VW T4 petrol based camper previously, when I bought it it was about 24 years old  but fairly low miles at about 65000.
I was in a similar situation and keen to carry out as much preventative maintenance as possible to reduce breakdowns.

Briefly here`s what I did.....

Full service, good engine oil, filter, air filter fuel filter (there is a filter hidden by the fuel tank and it often gets overlooked)
Spark plugs (don't scrimp on quality) plug leads, distributor cap. 
Cam belt and tensioner. alternator drive belt.
New water pump, alternator, and starter motor
Cooling system flush with flushing agent, replaced radiator (was crumbling) new proper VW approved  G12 coolant.
Replace small rubber drive bent that drives the second cooling fan (often missed) 
Definitely replace the nylon bushes on the gear linkage (they break and fall off).

It may sound like a lot, and you could work through in items of urgency, but most of the parts are quite cheap.
The petrol engine has a lot of room around it in the engine bay so pretty easy to work on. The cost of replacing those parts probably  less than the hassle of being relayed home.

We would take off in that camper most weekends with bikes loaded etc, even did a 1000 mile trip through the Scottish highlands, never missed a beat.
NCB
NCB

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

1.9 petrol VW T4 - What would you overhaul? Empty Re: 1.9 petrol VW T4 - What would you overhaul?

Post by Nickmac_21 Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Hi, that's a fantastic insight, thankyou very much, I have screen shot your list and will work through it, I'd absolutely rather spend money now to prevent any issues later on! Thanks again my friend.
Nickmac_21
Nickmac_21

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1993

Back to top Go down

Post by babian Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:32 pm

hi NCB,
I know nothing of the VW autosleepers but have just read your detailed overhaul list in answer to nicks initial questions and his search for advise and help.
sums up what this forum should be all about.
good for you.
Ian
babian
babian

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down