The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New model - Fairford Plus

+4
AutoSleepy_Don
Relaxez-Vous
Peter Brown
Paulmold
8 posters

Go down

New model - Fairford Plus Empty New model - Fairford Plus

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 24, 2019 1:42 pm

Surprised no-one has mentioned this in latest MMM. Watch the video...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

New model - Fairford Plus Empty Re: New model - Fairford Plus

Post by Peter Brown Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:56 pm

Thanks Paul, I'm looking forward to seeing it in the flesh at the NEC.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 24, 2019 3:20 pm

The article in MMM is much more informative than the video. People have been asking for a 'garage' for a while, so here is one.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:10 pm

Review also in latest Practical Motorhome.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:05 pm

It won't appeal to everyone but there lots of flexibility built in, but please A/S, get your quality control right.

Since July we've had two issues here that needed to be sorted (by Sargent and the dealer), now a third has happened which requires another 2 hour drive to the dealer. This is on top of some minor issues I was able to rectify myself with new parts and screwdriver.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:10 pm

is that "canoe roof rack" a standard fitting? hugegrins

It might be, both the vans I have seen have one fitted.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:19 pm

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:is that "canoe roof rack" a standard fitting? hugegrins

It might be, both the vans I have seen have one fitted.

Reading a review earlier, sounds like the Thule roof rails are an option, similar to when I upgraded mine to Fiamma just to get something that was load bearing.

Not sure I’d manage to get my sea kayaks on to that system ?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:22 pm

Is nobody going to mention the elephant in the room?

(roll out awning on the back)
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:49 am

RogerThat wrote:Is nobody going to mention the elephant in the room?

(roll out awning on the back)

It's good to see A/S moving towards making their vans have a wider range of useability. It's all very well having a beautifully upholstered and fitted interior but being able to use it for lots of other practical activities widens the appeal and encourages sales to more customers. 

According to the MMM review that rear awning was added to the Fiamma range after A/S requested that they provide one. Looks a bit odd to my eye and I always prefer those that are fitted flush, the sitting on the edge of the roof ones looking v ugly. A lifthatch, rather than barn doors would provide similar protection without screwing something onto the roof. There again Pug/Fiat/Citroen don't do a lifthatch in that size van. 

I note that the rear garage/bed/lounge doesn't have any side windows, which is OK for a bed or storage area but, with the rear doors shut that lounge set up must be a bit dungeon like.

The canoe rack is a cost option BTW.

Our van has a 3ft deep clear space between the rear wheelarches, a 'garage' if you will. It is a brilliant storage space, accessible from the interior central aisle and the rear doors. Ours has kitchen worktop above, though some were built with a bed instead, though I wouldn't fancy lying in bed beside the kitchen sink. That kitchen worktop is about 4ft 3ins wide by the 3ft deep, enormous in a 5.2m campervan.

It made me think that instead of trying to fit another bed/lounge in there, A/S move the kitchen rearwards and fit a single seat a la Symbol etc and have a 3ft deep garage with kitchen worktop above. The front dinette could be changed to another single seat (a la ES models) and you get two single beds or a double, or a single seat and offside sofa. Behind that the washroom and a wardrobe and fride, then the garage with massive kitchen worktop from side to side and the kitchen on the nearside. They could even get Barjo to make dog crates to fit the space, with a central door into the van aisle and two doors out the back so if there were two dogs they could be removed from the crate separately, if it had a central divider. There'd be enough room on top of the crate for folding outdoor chairs and table and at the sides for cables and hoses and if you need a large empty space then slide out the crate and store it away.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
This is our first Innovation van which was only 4.98m long (SWB) and the garage just 2ft deep. Our current van is on a 5.2m (MWB) base and has a 3ft deep garage. Note the Barjo crate and the space above for storing chairs etc and the space for cables and hoses etc at the sides. When no dogs inside the crate was used to hold supermarket shopping so it didn't slide about.

Last edited by steamdrivenandy on Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:39 am; edited 1 time in total
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Lancy Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:31 am

My in laws had a look at a van very similar to yours some years ago and are now wanting to exchange again for something less old but still under 5.5m. The one they saw though was quite impractical though in a couple of ways.  Access to the thetford cassette was in the garage so that side had to be emptied to get to it! Also a very poor excuse for a 'bathroom' [drop down sick which is fine] but no leg room for sitting on the loo with the door closed!!. Your legs had to go in the gangway opposite the kitchen ,of all places.  There was a pull out privacy door for across the front lounge and front windows and you would have to either close the back curtains or get the back windows tinted. As for any needed sound proofing.... Whistle1 !!  No brainer
I know you are wanting to change to a Talisman and the parents might be interested in your van as other than those issues they quite liked it [especially for their golf clubs and trolleys etc.]
Lancy
Lancy

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by steamdrivenandy Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:06 pm

Lancy wrote:My in laws had a look at a van very similar to yours some years ago and are now wanting to exchange again for something less old but still under 5.5m. The one they saw though was quite impractical though in a couple of ways.  Access to the thetford cassette was in the garage so that side had to be emptied to get to it! Also a very poor excuse for a 'bathroom' [drop down sick which is fine] but no leg room for sitting on the loo with the door closed!!. Your legs had to go in the gangway opposite the kitchen ,of all places.  There was a pull out privacy door for across the front lounge and front windows and you would have to either close the back curtains or get the back windows tinted. As for any needed sound proofing.... Whistle1 !!  No brainer
I know you are wanting to change to a Talisman and the parents might be interested in your van as other than those issues they quite liked it [especiallyfor their golf clubs and trolleys etc.]

T'is true, the little door in the bulkhead on the nearside is hidden by Rosie in the pic. In fact, as the Barjo crate was made to measure it has a matching small door and the toilet cassette could be withdrawn through the dog crate. And yes, on our current Innovation we saved the £800 cost of a Barjo custom made crate and purchased a Ferplas plastic one instead. Each dog gets the same overall space as the Barjo but it's a different shape, not so wide and deeper. Which is fine because the garage is a foot deeper. The Ferplas only has doors on one side, so the dogs can only be taken out from inside the van and it has no little door for the toilet cassette, so you have to remove the crate to empty the cassette. There is no bathroom as such, just a wardrobe type space for the swivel toilet and you do stand, or sit with your feet in the aisle to use it. Our's nearside barn door has no glass in it, so privacy when using the toilet isn't an issue. The kitchen sink, with hot water, is opposite the toilet space, so the lack of a washbasin isn't an issue.

To be frank, it represents several steps up from a basic campervan, which generally can only provide a porta potti, if you're lucky. It has fresh and waste water tanks underneath, is a full height with no canvas poptop, masses and masses of storage, 7ft long singles or a double bed and enormous kitchen space. It hasn't got a shower, so unless you're happy with a wash only it's best to stay on a full service site.

We've run a new 2006 Innovation 1 (SWB Transit Mk6 with GRP custom made roof) 2006 to 2008 and now have a 2008 Innovation 3 (MWB Transit with standard Ford steel high roof). Both were beautifully hand built by the Pegg Bros in Tamworth as part of their Horizons Unlimited joint venture with Roy Wood Transits who now sell their own Autocamper range.

It’s a

[list defaultattr=]
[*]Campervan
[*]Hitop van
[*]Dayvan
[*]Weekend van
[*]Holiday van
[*]To Morocco and the Arctic Circle van
[*]2 berth van
[*]4 seater van
[*]Cab aircon van
[*]Alloy wheels all round van