The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Modding my Stanway (and PVCs in general)

+19
v8oholic
SpeedTrip
IanH
Relaxez-Vous
Baggiecamper
Clib1
Bernilynn
RogerP51
Mindhyg
Bulletguy
jennyandpeter
GrahamF
Spospe
woodlice
inspiredron
Sally
rgermain
Gromit
RogerThat
23 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

Modding my Stanway (and PVCs in general) - Page 6 Empty Re: Modding my Stanway (and PVCs in general)

Post by SpeedTrip Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:43 pm

RogerThat wrote:
SpeedTrip wrote:
One way valve fixed, one size does all.  Almost copy image of where you've fitted yours.  And I've also gone with the angled drain, all push fit pipework that I wasn't expecting but at least the pipework is now pushed in FULLY.

Excellent news!   Worthwhile modifications for sure.  Did you also cut some extra lugs out of the plug hole? hugegrins

Scooter platform looks solid.  Which one is it?
Plug hole already had extra area . So no issues.

The Scooter platform was Watling Engineering. Very impressed with them. The tow bar I fitted could take 150kg nose weight (I looked round  and used Just Tow as their bar seemed easy to fit). The rack takes 130kg but weighs 30 kg so that limited my bike to 120kgs but the Yamaha D'elight is 101kgs. Watling also do a check on the weight distribution to make sure you don't break any laws (but no issue with the Stanway).  You don't really notice anything when driving (apart for reminding yourself your longer). But Scooter really handy for getting around
SpeedTrip
SpeedTrip

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2017

v8oholic, StewPotch and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

Modding my Stanway (and PVCs in general) - Page 6 Empty Re: Modding my Stanway (and PVCs in general)

Post by RogerThat Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:49 pm

Thanks for the details!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Another layer of security added to my van, this time in the form of deadlocks.

They're from "Locks 4 Vans".

I bought a set of four, all keyed alike.  The sliding door and rear doors are the hook type, the two front doors are regular "bolt" type.

If ordering for your Stanway, Symbol, Kemerton, etc, be sure to specify a glazed van!  

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by RogerThat on Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Nov 14, 2021 7:55 pm

Some more pics:

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

v8oholic, Tintent116 and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Jupiter Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:39 am

Rogerthat, 
Thanks for sharing your many adaptions, and modifications. Certainly food for thought

I wonder have you or any reader for that matter, fitted a swivel seat to the driver's seat?

I appreciate the bench seat behind may compromise normal seating, but. 
My thoughts
A better more comfortable lounging position aligned for TV viewing
Reversing the seat and locking, it with a disc clamp, creates another theft deterrent

Finally, I have heard some swivel bases, although compliant, tend to "wobble" do you have any suggestions recommending a base suitable?
Thanks and regards
Pete
Jupiter
Jupiter

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2021

RogerThat likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:50 am

Depending how tall you are, you may find a swivel raises the seat so that your line of vision hits the top of windscreen and you having to duck to see the road ahead.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Jupiter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:57 am

We bought and fitted on to the Warwick Duo
It was stiff (in spite of being awash in oil) hard to use, rattled, and, as Paul says raised the pax eye level to above the clean bit of the windscreen.
Was removed and sold on ebay!!

SHOULD you take this route the critical dimension of the device is height, ours was 25mm we saw some much thicker than that.....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Jupiter likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:20 am

I never use the swivel seats in the Symbol and had considered removing the swivel mechanism. No rattles or wobbling in the ones Auto-sleepers used, but as already said, the combination of increased seat base height and the top rail of the windscreen blind really affects the forward view. I’m 6 foot and I can’t see anything above the horizontal from my eye line which is literally just below the blind rail.

It’s a bit crazy that in a regular car, a windscreen chip in the swept area near the top of the windscreen drivers side would get you an MOT fail, when it has little effect on the view. Yet obscuring the view totally is fine!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Jupiter and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:02 pm

Jupiter wrote:Rogerthat, 
Thanks for sharing your many adaptions, and modifications. Certainly food for thought

I wonder have you or any reader for that matter, fitted a swivel seat to the driver's seat?

I appreciate the bench seat behind may compromise normal seating, but. 
My thoughts
A better more comfortable lounging position aligned for TV viewing
Reversing the seat and locking, it with a disc clamp, creates another theft deterrent

Finally, I have heard some swivel bases, although compliant, tend to "wobble" do you have any suggestions recommending a base suitable?
Thanks and regards
Pete

I'm glad you found the thread useful Pete.

You've also reminded me I need to add an update with colour-coded front and (different) colour-coded rear reversing sensors.

I've not considered making the drivers seat swivel, well, I did, but I thought the steering wheel would just get in the way so I abandoned that plan quite quickly.

There is a zero-cost test option though, if you're willing to give up a few hours on a Sunday?

Take the swivel base off the passenger seat and fit it to the drivers seat.  That way you can test it to see if it suits your personal needs, and if it does then you know exactly what to order smile!

If it doesn't, simply put it all back the way it was and you've lost nothing but a Sunday afternoon hugegrins
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:30 pm

v8oholic wrote:I never use the swivel seats in the Symbol and had considered removing the swivel mechanism. No rattles or wobbling in the ones Auto-sleepers used, but as already said, the combination of increased seat base height and the top rail of the windscreen blind really affects the forward view. I’m 6 foot and I can’t see anything above the horizontal from my eye line which is literally just below the blind rail.

It’s a bit crazy that in a regular car, a windscreen chip in the swept area near the top of the windscreen drivers side would get you an MOT fail, when it has little effect on the view. Yet obscuring the view totally is fine!
Strange - I'm 6ft tall as well but my view is fine in the Nuevo though I do have to be careful when positioning the sun visor. I guess my legs might be longer than yours 😀

Last edited by inspiredron on Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri May 19, 2023 8:08 pm

I've added some parking sensors to my PVC, both front and rear.

I spent more money on paint than I did on the whole parking sensor kit Whistle1

Very pleased with the outcome though.  I've put a single switch on the dashboard to turn on the digital display - handy for when I'm pulling the front bumper up to the edge of my house when parking.

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri May 19, 2023 8:09 pm

And the colour-coded sensors that I painted:

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Fri May 19, 2023 8:11 pm

I've also upgraded / replaced the supplied coffee machine.

I had no issues with it, the original one was 12v (ideal!) but it took about 25mins to brew (not ideal!).

Out with the old, and in with a slimline 240v pod machine. I've used very heavy duty velcro strips on the bottom to hold it in place.  1,000+ miles covered, it hasn't moved allthumbz

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Modding my Stanway (and PVCs in general) - Page 6 Empty Ladder!!

Post by The Jacobite Sun Oct 22, 2023 11:16 pm

RogerThat wrote:With the roof bars in place, I was then able to get a roof box organised.

I went with a Thule, again for simplicity and a guaranteed fit.

The roof box is bit of a tardis, I'm able to store all my "outdoorsy" stuff in there, including two folding chairs, a set of ramps for the mobility scooter platform, a Hoselock pressure pump (which makes an ideal shower for the dog), toilet chems, hosepipe, collapsible bucket and watering can, four-pole wind breaker, hose pipe, mains EHU lead, outrigger pads, fold up washing line, and more!

I seen the ladder in the pics, can you tell me the make/model? I think because I don't have a ladder, this would be ideal! I like the "attachment" to the van. Is that permanent? Clipped on or part of the ladder? 
Cheers
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:28 am

Hi, the ladder is just a generic surveyors ladder. If it helps, this is exact one I bought: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The ladder mount is magnetic so can be positioned anywhere and removed when not in use.  I also mount it vertically on the side of the van to use with my Thule pull-out wind break. This is the exact magnetic mount that I bought: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps smile!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

v8oholic likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:43 am

I could do with one of those ladders and mounts just to help with cleaning the roof, but it looks like a potentially useful thing to carry.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by The Jacobite Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:06 pm

RogerThat wrote:Hi, the ladder is just a generic surveyors ladder. If it helps, this is exact one I bought: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The ladder mount is magnetic so can be positioned anywhere and removed when not in use.  I also mount it vertically on the side of the van to use with my Thule pull-out wind break. This is the exact magnetic mount that I bought: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Hope this helps smile!
Thanks for that info, much appreciated!
The Jacobite
The Jacobite

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:22 pm

v8oholic wrote:I could do with one of those ladders and mounts just to help with cleaning the roof, but it looks like a potentially useful thing to carry.

I use it to clean the roof too.

The magnetic mount has some very clever straps built in to strap the ladder to the mount so it's rock solid and doesn't move at all.  

Very safe indeed.
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6