The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How is the Front of the drawer fastened on.

+3
Tinwheeler
inspiredron
AutoSleepy_Don
7 posters

Go down

How is the Front of the drawer fastened on. Empty How is the Front of the drawer fastened on.

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:13 pm

The front of the big drawer has come off  censored!
This is the drawer under the oven in a Warwick.
I can not understand how it used to be fastened on.
There are 6 threaded shafts but I can't see how they can be used as they are not exposed at the front.

I know some forum members have carried out modifications to their vans so can anyone explain how the front of the draw is fastened on?
How is the Front of the drawer fastened on. Img_0610
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

How is the Front of the drawer fastened on. Empty Re: How is the Front of the drawer fastened on.

Post by inspiredron Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:50 pm

From what I can see in your photo I would guess that it is dowelled with some wood glue on the dowels. Is there any evidence of knock- down fittings with metal fasteners that then to lock.
I suggest that you remove the drawer completely to do the repair.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

How is the Front of the drawer fastened on. Empty Re: How is the Front of the drawer fastened on.

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:50 pm

Don, we had the same issue with a couple of drawer fronts in the stack of 4 under the sink. They are the type of fixing used by Ikea.

Under the plastic caps in the sides of the drawer there are cam type fixings with cross head screwdriver slots. (They are known as cam bolt fixings.) Turn each slot 90° in the only direction it will turn and the screwed sections will come out. I replaced the screwed sections in the drawer front after first putting a little Araldite in each hole. This stuck the screwed sections into the holes in the drawer front. When dry, the drawer front can be refixed to the drawer carcass and turning the slotted cam heads 90° will lock it in place.

This is the type of fixing, although not necessarily the same size.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Alas these forums don't host photos too well, but zooming in, I'd agree with Ron, they look like regular flatpack furniture dowels.

RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:16 am

Thanks for the replies.
You are all correct, the front is held on by 6 cam dowels of the type shown by tim. The dowel end goes into about 1cm of veneered chipboard.
I have assembled flat pack furniture before and I should have recognised the fittings.

I had a 2 litre bottle of water in the drawer and it must have rolled in the drawer on a corner and knocked the front off.

Seems the only repair is to use glue. I am currently researching whether to use epoxy resin or wood glue.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogzee Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:29 pm

I had the same issue albeit a different drawer front but the reason the draw front came off was the holes in the drawer were bigger than the plug that was used for the cams .I fixed with a liberal dose of wood glue .
Mogzee
Mogzee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:31 pm

Hope it helps, Don. As I said, Araldyte did the job for me.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have found sealfix to be the most effective adhesive to use in the van. It bonds virtually anything to anything and happily bridges gaps in imperfect surfaces and for re-fixing 'fixings'
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Sounds brilliant Peter. What's its shelf life - it's the sort of thing that would not be used often, and the longer it stays usable the better.

Thanks

Dave
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:09 pm

Once opened and used I squeeze out about an inch and hang the tube in its applicator with the nozzle down.  The exposed bit hardens and, in theory, next time you want to use it you pull the plug - sometimes that works and sometimes I have to remove the nozzle and dig it out.

I've never managed to used more than a third of a tube and as soon as I open a tube I buy another so that when the inevitable happens and its unusable  I have a fall back.  I use the clear so it is neutral in colour.  Even if I only get 4 repairs from a tube its worth the cost at less than £4 each.

I've reattached the outer cover to one of my roof lights (about 4 years ago) fixed the hinge of the folding shower door, sealed the toilet flush tank and secured dozens of fixings with it.  I was recommended it by a plumber to fix a crack in the bottom a ceramic flush tank without draining the water which it did and I've sealed the joint between two edging stones on my drive to stop my neighbours garden draining to me - its magic.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks Peter

A couple of tubes are about to find their way into my tool box. At that price, and after such an excellent recommendation from personal experience, it's a no brainer!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down