The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident T4 underbed drawer front repair

2 posters

Go down

Trident T4 underbed drawer front repair Empty Trident T4 underbed drawer front repair

Post by Dom1997 Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:40 pm

The under bed draw front on our Trident has become detached from the draw itself. The screws have worked themselves through the wood over the years. To fix the draw more securely I am considering replacing the screws in the drawer handle with bolts and put a thin metal plate in the draw which I can then bolt through to, making the whole attachment more sturdy. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to remove the handle screw covers without forcing something and probably breaking it. Has anyone had to do anything similar ?

I also noticed the laminate on the draw front has shrunk over time and could do with replacing, but have no idea where to get a new moulded laminate part from, or how to make one so any suggestions would be welcome. 

Thanks
Dom1997
Dom1997

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Trident T4 underbed drawer front repair Empty Re: Trident T4 underbed drawer front repair

Post by daisy mae Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:24 pm

I have just done the drawer on my Topaz. I took off the plastic coating as it was cracked in one place and started to come away, colour was wrong for the refurb. anyway, I cleaned it up and undercoated and painted the front. with a satin finish, ivory coloured paint. . I also took off the handles, on the drop down flaps as well. also painted them they were not damaged needed to be the same colour.

The handles are screwed under the metal cover, I prised mine off ,as I was replacing the handles with more modern ones, curved satin silver, the holes are 160mm apart , the handles I have bought are the same so fit in nicely.

The drawer front is not a laminated plastic, well mine isn`t , a 1998 topaz, it is moulded fibreboard. with a plastic sprayed on I believe, if knocked and damaged starts to break off. best to heat with a hairdryer to loosen the glue, I didn`t so was hard work.

Good luck with your project.
Best wishes,
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Trident T4 underbed drawer front repair Empty Re: Trident T4 underbed drawer front repair

Post by Dom1997 Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:50 pm

cool thanks, I chopped the end of the screws off and put a slot in them so I could unscrew from the wrong end, having looked at the metal covers I don't see how they could have been removed without pulling the screws through the fiber board. 

Just need to decide whether to put a bolt through to a plate or longer screws, want to do it in a way I can take it apart again if needed.

Mine is also moulded fibreboard, hadn't considered it was coated in a spray on plastic, maybe have to follow your example and paint it.

Thanks
Dom1997
Dom1997

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down