The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto Carpet Replacement

4 posters

Go down

Duetto Carpet Replacement Empty Duetto Carpet Replacement

Post by Alistair Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:03 pm

The carpet in our 1998 Duetto is getting very shabby. To do a proper replacement, it looks like the furniture would have to be removed. How difficult is this? Has anyone done it the "easy" way by cutting the carpet around the furniture and butting the new carpet up to the furniture? Was the outcome satisfactory? Has anyone replaced the carpet with vinyl, and is this a good thing to do? The particle board under the carpet is also getting a bit lumpy and would be replaced when the carpet was lifted. Any helpful hints?

Many thanks.
Alistair
Alistair

Auto-Sleeper Model : 1998 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Duetto Carpet Replacement Empty Re: Duetto Carpet Replacement

Post by Dave 418 Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:56 pm

When the side panel and the floor under the water heater on our Duetto was repaired the bench seat had to come out. The repairers said it was a long job to remove and replace the seat. They thought the floor was carpeted fully before any furniture was fitted.
I have heard of a Duetto rotting under the shower were the spring hanger bracket is. The shower had leaked soaking the carpet and board followed by the floor.
The floor in our Rienza is laminate with loose carpets clipped down with press studs. This is a better idea because we can take the carpets out to clean them once a year. The laminate on its own is cold underfoot during the night visits, carpets feel cosy.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:43 pm

Alistair wrote:The carpet in our 1998 Duetto is getting very shabby. To do a proper replacement, it looks like the furniture would have to be removed. How difficult is this? Has anyone done it the "easy" way by cutting the carpet around the furniture and butting the new carpet up to the furniture? Was the outcome satisfactory? Has anyone replaced the carpet with vinyl, and is this a good thing to do? The particle board under the carpet is also getting a bit lumpy and would be replaced when the carpet was lifted. Any helpful hints?
It's quite a big job to remove all fittings. It could be worth having a professional carpet fitter look at doing it the "easy way" because when it comes to fitting, a 'pro' will make a big difference as they have the right tools and know what they're doing. Another route would be to locate anyone who does professional van conversions. The reason i mention that as a suggestion is i was once looking for some interior panel carpeting to renew the old tatty stuff in a panel van i had. They stocked the identical carpet and also cans of 'pro' spray adhesive, but that was an easy job compared to flooring.

What does concern me a bit with your van though is your description of the board being "a bit lumpy". If by that you mean it's warped, i'd be concerned as to how and why. If water ingress then you'd need to find from where before laying any new carpet down even though you intend to replace the board. My Duetto is only two years newer than yours and both carpet and flooring are flat as a billiard table.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:13 pm

I did it last year in my 1998 Topaz, waited for a carpet fitter to turn up, when he didn`t, I  cut around the furniture with a stanley knife, but also removed the small single rear seat, hard job , made it easier and put Vinyl wood effect flooring down, similar layout to a Duetto, there are photos on this forum that I put on after I had finished the upholstering. 

Also removed carpet from seat bases . 

Good luck, well worth doing.Once you start it is straight forward.
Margaret

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Alistair Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. Something to think about! Bulletguy, I've checked underneath and the floor panels are clean with no rust holes so I doubt that moisture would have got in. Lumpy is perhaps a bit misleading - it's more like that the carpet is so thin that the texture of the particle board under it can be felt. I'll check it all out when I can.
Alistair
Alistair

Auto-Sleeper Model : 1998 Duetto

Back to top Go down