The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Making an autosleeper more stealthy?

+4
Quilter
burlingtonboaby
Paulmold
booms81
8 posters

Go down

Making an autosleeper more stealthy? Empty Making an autosleeper more stealthy?

Post by booms81 Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:47 pm

Hi all,

I've been thinking of buying an Autosleeper (maybe a Harmony, Duetto or Symbol) as a vehicle for daily use, and when I'm travelling.

One bug bear is that I find Autosleepers very noticeable. I'm travelling at the moment using ParkForNight, and especially in countries that aren't so friendly to campervanning (or foreigners), it would be nice to have a big bland black van, rather than something that draws a lot of attention.

Has anyone ever had their Autosleeper toned down, or just re-detailed to be black? Or would that take off a lot of value?
booms81
booms81

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Making an autosleeper more stealthy? Empty Re: Making an autosleeper more stealthy?

Post by Paulmold Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:50 pm

I would suggest the value would be greatly affected. Auto-sleepers are well known for holding their value far more than other brands.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Making an autosleeper more stealthy? Empty Re: Making an autosleeper more stealthy?

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:50 pm

booms81 wrote:Hi all,

I've been thinking of buying an Autosleeper (maybe a Harmony, Duetto or Symbol) as a vehicle for daily use, and when I'm travelling.

One bug bear is that I find Autosleepers very noticeable. I'm travelling at the moment using ParkForNight, and especially in countries that aren't so friendly to campervanning (or foreigners), it would be nice to have a big bland black van, rather than something that draws a lot of attention.

Has anyone ever had their Autosleeper toned down, or just re-detailed to be black? Or would that take off a lot of value?
Have you heard of vinyl wrap, google it , you could cover your van in any colour and remove it later.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:15 pm

No panel van could be stealthy. The owner only has to slide open and crash closed the door for everyone within earshot to curse them.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:47 pm

I have seen a few vans in London that are motorhomes with a cloaking device. They are basic panel vans with no side windows in the rear but are motorhomes inside.
You can spot fridge and heater vents, otherwise they appear as an ordinary van like your plumber would have.
I think workman use them to live on the street or in car parks where a motorhome would not be allowed.

I assume these are self conversions from a basic van.

I think adding a cloaking device to an AS would destroy it's value.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:57 pm

Value would be affected for sure.

You could remove all decals and wrap it in white, it'd blend in a bit more than black?
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:54 am

The footballers wrap’ their Bentleys (camouflage?) and then when changing (6months later) remove the wrap to leave perfect paintwork. 

No idea whether possible on a AS van.

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:08 am

booms81 wrote:

....... and especially in countries that aren't so friendly to campervanning (or foreigners), it would be nice to have a big bland black van, rather than something that draws a lot of attention.

You don’t specify which countries these might be. Over many years of travelling by motorhome ( a peculiar VW conversion) in East, Central and Southern Africa for example we found the only problems were because of the size and durability of the vehicle and the availability of spares and repairs . Much as I love AS vans they just would not cope. People: no problem. We’ve never met any unfriendly ones even in war zones.

Something smaller and more car- like would be much more suitable.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:11 pm

Quilter wrote:No panel van could be stealthy. The owner only has to slide open and crash closed the door for everyone within earshot to curse them.
snigger up!
This forum really needs a LIKE button . . .

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down