The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stainless exhaust - T5-based Trooper/Trident

5 posters

Go down

Stainless exhaust - T5-based Trooper/Trident Empty Stainless exhaust - T5-based Trooper/Trident

Post by Roopert Tue May 28, 2019 11:18 am

Does anyone have any recommendations for a supplier of a new stainless system for a T5-based conversion (e.g. Trooper, Trident and perhaps the later Topaz)?

It sounds easy enough and there are quite a few companies that make aftermarket systems, but the problem is that they often don't route the exhaust in the same path that the original exhaust takes - so if you have water tanks, it won't fit. We found this out the hard way, buying a system from PPT - which didn't fit!

Ours is starting to get a bit critical now, as the outer skin has fallen off in a few places, and the inner one is starting to go...
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Stainless exhaust - T5-based Trooper/Trident Empty Re: Stainless exhaust - T5-based Trooper/Trident

Post by Paulmold Tue May 28, 2019 11:39 am

Have you googled 'bespoke stainless exhaust' ? Surely they will do whatever you ask them.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Stainless exhaust - T5-based Trooper/Trident Empty Re: Stainless exhaust - T5-based Trooper/Trident

Post by Roopert Tue May 28, 2019 11:48 am

Surely that's right! But they generally want you to take the van to them, for them to take the exhaust off to copy, and they then put the new one on. Which, unless they happen to be nearby, makes it not such a simple option.

Logistically it's easier if you can find someone who already has a pattern for a standard 2.5l TDi exhaust (the one on the Trooper is just the standard one from the factory), because then they can make one for you wherever they happen to be in the country, post it to you, and then (critically) you can measure it to be sure it fits before taking it to a local exhaust place for them to fit for £50.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 28, 2019 11:55 am

Are you saying that AS have them made to fit their conversions? If so could they not tell you where they get them from? Probably not stainless though.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by repoort Tue May 28, 2019 10:15 pm

...simpler just to replace with another standard system ?
Ours ('07) is still the original - if it goes now, another normal one will probably outlast me.......
repoort
repoort
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : T5 Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 28, 2019 10:30 pm

Exhausts don't rot like they used to. I don't think I've had an exhaust replaced in 20 years, not that I've ever kept any vehicle longer than three years (apart from motorhomes).

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue May 28, 2019 10:42 pm

Paulmold wrote:Are you saying that AS have them made to fit their conversions? If so could they not tell you where they get them from? Probably not stainless though.

No - I don't need a bespoke exhaust. The Trooper and Trident (and probably the Topaz) have a bog-standard mild steel exhaust, fitted by VW at the factory.

I want to replace ours because it is nearly 14 years old and it ~is~ rotting away.

The reason I don't want to buy a standard VW exhaust to replace it with is because VW charge around £800 for a mild steel system, while a Stainless aftermarket system is less than £400, typically.

But the usual aftermarket system is made by cutting corners (literally) which means that generally they won't fit a van with tanks, because they sit where the corners have been cut.

Hence I'm hoping that someone has already identified a supplier of aftermarket stainless systems that will fit a van with tanks (i.e. a system that takes exactly the same route as the factory system).

Hope that clarifies things!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:37 am

Just to complete this one: we ran out of time to find a standard off-the-shelf replacement exhaust, because the MOT was due.

We ended up going to a custom exhaust place (A2Tyres in Sittingbourne), and they made up a full stainless, single-box system for £500 - which is no louder than the original factory 2-box system. Not cheap, but still a fair bit cheaper than a VW mild steel replacement, and it should last the remaining life of the van.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:33 am

No help to Roopert but after 10 years the exhaust on my car starts to blow.  Very few of that model were made so no one has bothered to build an aftermarket one and the original Vauxhall one was well over £1,000.

I was pointed to a guy in Leek.  He cuts the old pieces out and fabricates a new one out of stainless steel on the vehicle there and then, it only took him just over an hour and it was fascinating watching him work.

Picture below is of the car he did before mine - his garage doesn't have the height to accommodate a motorhome but his kit looked portable:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Mogzee Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:41 am

Hi,I remember a co.Down your way who did s/steel made to measure exhausts by the name of Vortex  but I have no further details.
Mogzee
Mogzee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down