The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stowing Table over Cab

4 posters

Go down

Stowing Table over Cab Empty Stowing Table over Cab

Post by DesG Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:38 pm

NHello again.

We’re continuing to explore our new Symbol Plus and have now discovered a more serious problem.

The main table is stowed in a smallish compartment over the front cab. It’s very tricky getting the table correctly located and there is a tendency to put too much strain on the folded legs when trying to get it fully in place. Unfortunately due to leveraging effects, this can result in quite large outward forces being applied to the screws attaching the legs to the table causing them to pop out. A similar problem can arise if you try to place any rigid items on top of the table whilst travelling.

So, we now find ourselves with a table with loose legs which will need replacing or repairing somehow. It seems to me that this is a design fault and that the table is not fit for purpose.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Regards
Des
DesG
DesG

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Stowing Table over Cab Empty Re: Stowing Table over Cab

Post by Roopert Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:56 pm

If the core of the table is MDF, this can be quite a problem, and IIRC on some conversions, A/S use a product with an almost hollow centre to keep weight down - which is even harder to fix.

I've had some success with this sort of issue by drilling out the holes to a much larger size, gluing in lengths of wooden dowel with PVA glue and then screwing the fixings into the dowel - but it's time consuming.

I guess a lot will depend on whether A/S agree that the design is at fault and it should be replaced under warranty, or whether it's "user error". Sadly the push for lighter weight in every fitting means that many parts are only just strong enough.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:58 am

One of the first things I did after picking up my new van was to make a new table top and fit the existing legs to it. I didn’t want to worry all the time about damaging the A/S one which I’ve heard are very expensive to replace.
Luckily, I had some Vohringer board and edge trim left over from a previous self build camper but ready made table tops are available in all sizes and finishes on the internet for about £40. 
Vohringer (or equivalent) is only 15mm thick but is very tough and would prove much stronger than the honeycomb stuff.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by Dbvwt on Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : edit)
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:32 am

Not much help to you at the moment, but our long term solution to this problem has been to store the table upright in the toilet room. Storing the table in the overcab space, is tricky and detracts from useful bedding storage, so standing it upright, facing the door in the toilet room solves both issues at a stroke.

I made a small shelf to stand the edge of the table on just above the shower tray and used some turnbuckles to retain the table to the wall and not had a problem in 5 years.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by DesG Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:57 pm

Many thanks for the very helpful replies.

I'm hoping that I can get the table replaced or repaired under warranty since the one supplied is clearly not fit for purpose - we have only used it as intended since we bought the Van a little over a week ago.

In the event that we are left with the faulty table for whatever reason, then the advice about repairing or replacing will be very helpful. I also like the idea about storing the table elsewhere and using the over cab space for bedding.

Best Regards
Des
DesG
DesG

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down