The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Diesel symbol info

+2
oldfred
phillips
6 posters

Go down

Diesel symbol info Empty Diesel symbol info

Post by phillips Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:14 am

Hi all, we are thinking of purchasing a 1999-2021 Symbol 1.9 diesel none turbo. and was hoping you can help with a few questions, like will the 1.9 diesel be happy to sit at 60mph on the motorway, and what are they like on the A roads? do you need to stir the gear stick a lot?. also I understand
that they will return well over 30mpg. we had a 2L petrol boxer and that liked petrol. May thanks.Stuart
phillips
phillips

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : clubman
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Diesel symbol info Empty Re: Diesel symbol info

Post by oldfred Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:24 am

I had a non-turbo diesel car once, I think it was a Citroen ZX estate 1.9D.  The performance was remarkable (really slow). The only compensation was that in summer you could run it on cheap cooking oil.

Note to moderator - could you retitle this thread to make it easier to find in 'search'. 

Thanks
Fred
oldfred
oldfred

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by Crystalvoyager Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:24 am

I wasn't aware they did a non-turbo version of the 1.9D. I test drove a reconditioned 2.5D Symbol when I was looking for a Symphony / Symbol. Boy was it slow. It took a while to get up to cruising speed and then it hit a hill, that's when it started to struggle. This from a garage forecourt when unladen. 600cc less could be pretty dire. I bought a 2.0 petrol Symphony in the end and think I made the right choice. I get between 22 and 28 to the gallon, it's quiet, sits at 60mph on a motorway nicely and is no slouch.
Crystalvoyager
Crystalvoyager

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1997

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:56 am

If you look at the figures on the Wiki page, it looks woefully underpowered - 1.9D gives 69PS and 120Nm, while the turbo 1.9TD gives 92PS and 196NM. For further comparison the 2.5TD gets you 103PS and 230NM. Worse, the peak power is way up at 4600 RPM, which is going to sound pretty manic with a diesel.

Doesn't sound like my idea of a fun drive....
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:48 pm

My previous van was a 2.8lt non-turbo diesel, and although it would eventually reach the national speed limit, I could've boiled an egg in the time it took to do it.
My present van is only a 2lt HDI, but it's streets ahead on acceleration.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm

bikeralw wrote:My previous van was a 2.8lt non-turbo diesel, and although it would eventually reach the national speed limit, I could've boiled an egg in the time it took to do it.
My present van is only a 2lt HDI, but it's streets ahead on acceleration.
Al.
I think much is down to the internal fittings because i once had a Transit 2.5Di which went pretty damn well and the mpg was excellent. However the fittings in that van were all mdf where AS use solid wood so much heavier. The engine i have now is a turbo 2.5 and doesn't perform anywhere near as good as the non-turbo did. Mpg is also lower.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down