The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Connecting aquaroll

+5
RogerThat
Justus2
kaspian
AutoSleepy_Don
Kdc
9 posters

Go down

Connecting aquaroll Empty Connecting aquaroll

Post by Kdc Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:32 pm

Just obtained an aquaroll to suplement water tank on my warwick xl on occasions.Have not tried it yet and a little unsure quite how it will operate,reading my hand book is cloudy.
Question......am ok connecting to socket and familiar with concept that pump will run once water is demanded. What happens to fitted pump in tank and if onboard tank is full will it only take from aquaroll?
Sure there are some who have used this set up and  will hopefully clear up my uncertainties before i try it out.   Cheers for any/all comments

Last edited by Kdc on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling error)
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Connecting aquaroll Empty Re: Connecting aquaroll

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:09 am

Someone will be along with a more comprehensive answer soon, but in the mean time, I can say the concept of the whale connector is that it fills your onboard tank from the aquaroll so the fitted pump runs as it does when you are not using the aquaroll. The difference is that water taken from your onboard tank is instantly replaced from the aquaroll. (based on what I think is happening to what is fitted to my 2017 Warwick)
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:41 am

Hi KDC, the internal pump will only ever draw water from your internal tank. If electrics are on, as the level in the internal tank drops it will be topped up from the aquaroll via the external drop in pump. Problem is , if you are in the position of the aquaroll being low on water and the internal tank float switches on the external pump to top up the internal tank , the external pump will run dry, possibly destroying the pump in the process. PHEW! 
         Many times over the years while  on sites you hear the tortured groans of pumps running dry when caravan owners go out for the day and leave a tap slightly on or a slight water leak etc . Just be aware that the pump can come on at any time and remove when left unattended, if not only for safety but also security as they can be attractive to thieves .
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:31 am

Water to your taps always comes from what is in the underfloor tank via the internal pump.The external whale filler is designed to re-fill the underfloor tank from an external container, ( aqua-roll in your case ). Once the underfloor tank is full the external pump shuts off. As the level in the underfloor tank drops due to use, the external pump kicks in again and refills it so for a short time. both pumps are running. It is designed to be used temporarily, to refill the underfloor tank, not to be left plugged in all the time. Once the aqua-roll becomes empty, your external pump, as others have suggested, will run all the time, and could / will eventually burn out. If I ever want to top up our tank if we are staying on site, I do so from a smaller water container connected via the external whale pump for as many times and long as it takes to refill the van's tank. I would never leave it unattended.
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:41 am

Thanks Justus2.......useing the aqua roll to refill "in bulk"is just how i hoped it would work, do not intend to leave it connected and live.
i'll have a play with it on the drive so i look as though i know what i am doing when on site!!!
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:41 am

Update...........
Just had a play and found that the whale socket on my van is switchable from the EC700 control panel .
The information for this panel i downloaded as advised by dealer as auto sleeper do not supply one (dont get me going on that one).
When selecting tank fill the external pump will run untill tank full or 7mins. Whichever is the sooner.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:31 pm

Looking laterally for a moment, I find it difficult to understand why you need to do this, and here's why....
There are only two of you in the MH, I don't know if the XL is different in water capacity, to my duo, but we have never got near to running out of water.
The real problem isn't water capacity but toilet cassette capacity.
We only stay on sites every 2 or 3 days, using aires the rest of the time.
When we leave a site, its always, full water, empty cassette, full toilet flush tank, empty grey, and that's us for 2 or 3 days, BUT, the limiting factor is the toilet cassette, not the water capacity.
I also wonder where you store this aquaroll??
Just a thought
Ian
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Sat Mar 23, 2019 6:37 am

IanH wrote:Looking laterally for a moment, I find it difficult to understand why you need to do this, and here's why....
There are only two of you in the MH, I don't know if the XL is different in water capacity, to my duo, but we have never got near to running out of water.
The real problem isn't water capacity but toilet cassette capacity.
We only stay on sites every 2 or 3 days, using aires the rest of the time.
When we leave a site, its always, full water, empty cassette, full toilet flush tank, empty grey, and that's us for 2 or 3 days, BUT, the limiting factor is the toilet cassette, not the water capacity.
I also wonder where you store this aquaroll??
Just a thought
Ian

As far as I am aware both Warwicks have the same size tanks, 70L fresh and 45L waste. How long that lasts depends on your style of camping, where you stay, and style of use. We use water just as we do at home. We tend to stay only on club sites, commercial sites and 5 van sites. Water is readily available, the van gauges can be wildly inaccurate ( our waste now reads full ALL the time ) so I find that topping up every day means I KNOW how much fresh we have on-board and how little is in the waste tank. I generally find I need to put 30 L per day into the tank ( I use a 10L container ), so if I didn't top up, and despite using site showers if available, the most we could last is 2 days, if there are no showers, it's only one day.. I once took a chance at not emptying the waste the morning before we left a site as I expected to leave via the MH service point... alas the breakfast washing up water tipped the waste tank over the edge and ended up filling the shower tray once the tank was full. One of us was very annoyed at that... In the end It's just down to personal choice.
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:11 am

J2 when you say you use water 'just like at home' do you clean teeth under a running tap?....or wash hands with the tap full on?....or use a full bowl of water to wash two cups?

I realise we have larger tanks than you and that we all do things differently but we last 10 days or so if using site showers or 5/6 days incl showers from a 120l supply...(and 100 ltr waste).
so roughly 12 ltr or 20 ltr a day depending on showers usage.

if you're using 30 ltr a day without using the shower that is around 40 kettle fulls of our 750 ml travel kettle....that's an awful lot of tea and coffee....
and then you might have shower in top....70ltr a day? 
so, with a 45 ltr waste tank you would need to get out and empty the waste between the two showers?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:30 am

bolero boy wrote:J2 when you say you use water 'just like at home' do you clean teeth under a running tap?....or wash hands with the tap full on?....or use a full bowl of water to wash two cups?

I realise we have larger tanks than you and that we all do things differently but we last 10 days or so if using site showers or 5/6 days incl showers from a 120l supply...(and 100 ltr waste).
so roughly 12 ltr or 20 ltr a day depending on showers usage.

if you're using 30 ltr a day without using the shower that is around 40 kettle fulls of our 750 ml travel kettle....that's an awful lot of tea and coffee....
and then you might have shower in top....70ltr a day? 
so, with a 45 ltr waste tank you would need to get out and empty the waste between the two showers?

No, to the first bit, BB, we don't leave taps running. I suspect that our water consumption is driven by our washing up in the main. We never ever eat out, we always cook on site. We enjoy cooking, just as we do at home, and it can generate a lot of washing up, and we do it 3 times a day, the evening meal often requires 2 lots of washing up plates bowl pans etc... Sometimes we use the site's washing up, but it depends how far away we are from the facilities.  Re showers, one of us always showers in the morning, the other in the evening, so a refill and empty always happens in between the two. It isn't in anyway a chore dealing with water, it is much the same as when we had a caravan, but on those odd days when we do go out in the van we of course use the motor-home service point.

PS our toilet flush is also drawn from the main tank rather than a separate one.
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:42 am

yes, I agree, washing up can take up plenty....we cook in the van often, too, but perhaps are a bit more thrifty with the water?
we do a fair bit of off gridding, especially when away, and touring around, and not all Aires have service points, certainly many of the 'overnight parking allowed' spots don't...
we like to shower each day, too, so in the places I've just mentioned, having such small tanks would seriously impact on our touring style.
I also agree with Ian in that the cassette emptying is likely to be the limiting factor for many (certainly for those who use a lot less water than you've described) and this is likely to every three days or so...

but if we needed to empty the waste every day or find fresh water every one or two days, I couldn't say we'd be in any way 'self sufficient'....which is one of the reasons we have a MH.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:40 am

J2
You are correct, each to his/her own.
We never use sites in UK, only pub stops. Use sites every 2 or 3 day abroad, otherwise Aires. We virtually never cook in the van, so not much washing up. We never drink the onboard water and use bottled only for drinking, so don't need to be too fussy what we put in the tank
We all use more or less identical trucks in different ways!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:47 am

There are plenty of views on water useage it seems.As already stated in posts it is down to how/where you camp,no different to why we all have different units to camp in.
I have no intention of useing the aquaroll very often,it is purely to give me more capacity when situations dictate,for example when on a rally field for a number of days where it would be a pain to trapse across a large field many times with my "normal" 10 litre container to maintain the fresh.I am also embarking on a 3week tour on the I.O.M. Where wild camping is quite the norm,a little more water may be handy . Ofcourse if you camp on facility sites there are no issues or inconveniences.As for the question where am i going to store it,in the van to travel and outside on site....simples.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RogerThat Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:53 pm

Kdc wrote:I have no intention of useing the aquaroll very often

I use mine all the time allthumbz

Bought both of these around September 2018, wish I'd bought them waaayyyy sooner smile!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:00 am

I find it hard trying to understand any motor homer using an aquaroll, gave up caravaning to get away from the hassle, MH `s are simpl,e quick to set up , stop ,switch off hand brake on, sit with a drink of your choice, watch tuggers fetching water in their aquarolls.  up!
?
I do have one for sale if anyone wants one.?

Best regards,
M

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by RML Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:54 am

daisy mae wrote:I find it hard trying to understand any motor homer using an aquaroll, gave up caravaning to get away from the hassle, MH `s are simpl,e quick to set up , stop ,switch off hand brake on, sit with a drink of your choice, watch tuggers fetching water in their aquarolls.  up!
?
I do have one for sale if anyone wants one.?

Best regards,
M

I'm with you on this, where is all this stuff stored when traveling?
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:25 am

I don't use an aquaroll anymore, though we still have it from our caravan days. For fresh we have a 10 ltr container, for waste a 23Ltr Fiamma container.

Where is it stored whilst travelling.... in the shower.
Why do we bother... smallish tanks mean we can't last more than 2 days, especially as we cook and  wash up a lot in the van.
Why do we behave like caravan.... When we arrive and if we go out in the van, we always use the MH service point, BUT if we are staying for four days and not going out, by the time you have put away the kettle, removed the silver screens, unplugged the mains lead, driven off the ramps, done it all the other way round having visited the service point...behaving like a caravan is far quicker, and less hassle, especially if you are near to a tap...

Edit : Despite using puriclean, tank cleaners, elsan tank cleaner and various other products at length, neither gauge is reliable, the fresh always reads high and the waste always reads full. Filling the fresh till it overflows and draining the waste often means I actually do know what I have under the floor..... content
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:04 am

it takes us / me  5 minutes to be off when going out from  site, organisation is the key,

cook and wash up in the van, rarely have meals out. and I don`r mean ready meals either, don`t like them, cook from scratch, same as at home. 

Start off from home with a full tank of water, carry 2 x 5 litres of tap water for cold drinks, everything else is from the tank. top up with a watering can every two days or so, no hardship.

Also use the shower in the van.

I find MH`s easy and relaxing a far cry from tugging, each to their own and how they use their vans.
Do not use ramps. haven`t found the need to..
Just enjoy.

Dr. Seuss
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:10 am

Re toilet cassette filling being a limiting factor in length of stay where there are no facilities.  Flushing the bowl adds a lot of water to the cassette and, since the point of the flush is only to clean the bowl ( not, as at home, to help the contents on their way down the drain) why not carry a small spray bottle of water plus a bit of multi- surface cleaner ?  

A squirt round the bowl after use does the necessary clean without adding an unnecessary litre of water to the tank.

Lining the toilet bowl with a single ply paper napkin before using the bowl for more than liquid makes for a neater cleaner disposal of the contents as well.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:38 pm

Once on site our van never moves until we leave at the end of our stay. Aquaroll (mitigates any far distance to the tap) easily delivers 40 litres each time to the van which compliments the Whale filling system. Each to their own but often see vans circling a site simply to take on more water. Of course, we have the space to store the Aquaroll in the shower enclosure.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down