The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident 12v outlet

4 posters

Go down

Trident 12v outlet Empty Trident 12v outlet

Post by Stevo1949 Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:12 am

Hi, I’m a new owner of a 2005 Trident. I went to plug into the 12v supply but there was nothing behind the two slots to connect with  the plug, the plug fell out. Can I remove the 12v outlet  from the front ( without breaking it ) or do I need cover that holds the light and the electrical panel and attack it from behind ? Regards Stephen
Stevo1949
Stevo1949

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 203

Back to top Go down

Trident 12v outlet Empty Re: Trident 12v outlet

Post by Roopert Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:36 am

A/S changed the type of fittings that they used on the VW-based conversions of that time quite regularly, so it's difficult to say without seeing a photo, but if it's a Clipsall socket then yes, you should be able to remove the trim (with some difficulty) to access the fixing screws so that you can remove it. My guess is that someone has misaligned the plug pins and broken the socket off the back of the faceplate, but I may be wrong there.

We found the full-sized Clipsall fittings (if that is actually what you have) quite wasteful of space, and replaced ours with CBE-style ones, because you can get three of those in the space that two Clipsall sockets (mains, 12v or whatever) occupy.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:45 am

Stevo1949 wrote:Hi, I’m a new owner of a 2005 Trident. I went to plug into the 12v supply but there was nothing behind the two slots to connect with  the plug, the plug fell out. Can I remove the 12v outlet  from the front ( without breaking it ) or do I need cover that holds the light and the electrical panel and attack it from behind ? Regards Stephen
Gem caravans in Crossford might be able to help, don't know them myself, googled caravan repairs in Dunfermline and up they came.  
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo1949 Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:05 pm

Roopert wrote:A/S changed the type of fittings that they used on the VW-based conversions of that time quite regularly, so it's difficult to say without seeing a photo, but if it's a Clipsall socket then yes, you should be able to remove the trim (with some difficulty) to access the fixing screws so that you can remove it. My guess is that someone has misaligned the plug pins and broken the socket off the back of the faceplate, but I may be wrong there.

We found the full-sized Clipsall fittings (if that is actually what you have) quite wasteful of space, and replaced ours with CBE-style ones, because you can get three of those in the space that two Clipsall sockets (mains, 12v or whatever) occupy.
Thank. Once I applied myself the chrome affect trim came away without breaking to allow me to the screws.The main body of the socket had come adrift from the face. Now glued back together and working.
Stevo1949
Stevo1949

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:46 am

Stephen, hello and welcome. I too have a Trident and have an issue with the mains socket. The right side of it is loose and i'd tried to get the chrome trim off but didn't want to break it. How is it held on and how did you remove it? Thanks Steve
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:42 pm

I persevered with brute force and managed to get the chrome trim off intact. The metal insert for the mounting screw had broken free and i've also glued it back together. Its a really poor piece of design. Thanks
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:07 pm

Brute force seems the only way. Both of ours were loose on one side when we got the van, and both fought off attempts to remove the chrome trim.

IMO, they are huge and ugly, so I replaced the mains socket with a CBE one, the 12V outlet with a twin USB charger socket and in the space that freed up, a voltmeter - all in a three-outlet CBE frame that matches the Sargent power control panel (which I understand you may not have on a Trident).
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo1949 Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:22 pm

Steve&Veronique wrote:Stephen, hello and welcome. I too have a Trident and have an issue with the mains socket. The right side of it is loose and i'd tried to get the chrome trim off but didn't want to break it. How is it held on and how did you remove it? Thanks Steve
Hi sorry about the delay.  I put my fingernails in one side which came out early. The other side didn’t want to come out but I persisted and with a bit of force suddenly came out. 
You can maybe help me. I was trying to work out how to get the cover off the fuse holder of th PSU2005 electrical panel.
Regards 
Stephen
Stevo1949
Stevo1949

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Stephen, i've had the pleasure of removing this cover when tracking down a water pump fuse. Its a simple push on plastic cover without any clips or catches. It's tapered design makes it really hard to get hold of and i tried everything before resorting to marigold rubber gloves for a better grip had_idea I thought of not replacing it but its in the portapotti cupboard and didn't want to risk it getting splashed! Good luck.
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:06 pm

They really are an awful design, aren't they? On a previous van with the same covers - but even more awkward access - I used a small dremel-type drill and cutting disk to cut slots in each side so that you could get fingernails in to help get the cover off.

Note also that they should be "keyed" to go on only one way up, so if a previous owner has forced one on upside down it can be very difficult indeed to get off!
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo1949 Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:08 pm

Steve&Veronique wrote:Stephen, i've had the pleasure of removing this cover when tracking down a water pump fuse. Its a simple push on plastic cover without any clips or catches. It's tapered design makes it really hard to get hold of and i tried everything before resorting to marigold rubber gloves for a better grip had_idea I thought of not replacing it but its in the portapotti cupboard and didn't want to risk it getting splashed! Good luck.
Thanks Steve, I just couldn’t see how they are fitted. I might dril a small hole in the middle and use the gadget ffor taking the wheel nut cover off. 
Next Question. How do you get the main cover off the panel?. The manual says that there is spare breaker I thought of installing a second 240v outlet behind the drivers seat.
Regards 
Stephen
Stevo1949
Stevo1949

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevo1949 Mon Mar 25, 2019 9:13 pm

Roopert wrote:They really are an awful design, aren't they? On a previous van with the same covers - but even more awkward access - I used a small dremel-type drill and cutting disk to cut slots in each side so that you could get fingernails in to help get the cover off.

Note also that they should be "keyed" to go on only one way up, so if a previous owner has forced one on upside down it can be very difficult indeed to get off!
Good to know, I usually get things upside down the first time I approach a task.
Stephen
Stevo1949
Stevo1949

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve&Veronique Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:24 pm

I like the idea of making holes in the plastic, maybe a Velcro webbing strap would help. They always blow at the most awkward time, usually at night in the rain. Let us know how you get on with a second socket. We use a 4 way extension, it works but not ideal. Regards
Steve&Veronique
Steve&Veronique

Male

Back to top Go down