The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

!995 Duetto, Gas Isolation Taps.

5 posters

Go down

!995 Duetto, Gas Isolation Taps. Empty !995 Duetto, Gas Isolation Taps.

Post by leonardo1776 Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:24 pm

Hi, 

I still have my Duetto, see topic  "Duetto Swindle". 

Looking to see if it's worth keeping re Greyhound's very good point in "Should we replace our Duetto", I now find that the taps on the Gas isolating manifold are seized on, and the handles seem loose. Assuming that a replacement manifold is needed, is one available and at what cost. Alternatively I could take next door's offer of £3500 (he is a very able builder and DIYer) and let it be 'some-body-else's problem. I have already spent over £12,000 on it (purchase + repairs).
leonardo1776
leonardo1776

Male

Member Age : 84
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

!995 Duetto, Gas Isolation Taps. Empty Re: !995 Duetto, Gas Isolation Taps.

Post by fenderbender Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:06 pm

That's a big loss, if it was me I would keep it, I'm sure you could get a gas manifold from somewhere.
If you still decide to sell when everything is fixed, you should get a good price with summer coming up.
Dave
fenderbender
fenderbender
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Transit
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:48 pm

leonardo1776 wrote:I could take next door's offer of £3500 (he is a very able builder and DIYer) and let it be 'some-body-else's problem.
Would you be happy to see it everyday on next doors driveway?  especially if he sells it on for £10,000 smile!
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:26 pm

leonardo1776 wrote:I now find that the taps on the Gas isolating manifold are seized on, and the handles seem loose. Assuming that a replacement manifold is needed, is one available and at what cost. 
My Duetto is 2000 reg though on a Mk5 Transit. I'm just a bit puzzled as to what you refer to as a "gas isolating manifold". Exactly what and where is that located in your van? I'm assuming you mean the valve tap? In my van that's always open as the only time gas runs through the pipe is when i've connected a bottle up to the flexible hose....and as the bottles have taps on the regulator as well, i've always just used that for supply. When not needing gas at all, i remove the regulator from the bottle.

A new tap only costs four quid off ebay which makes your 'seized tap' issue a no brainer!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards the reference to your other thread in 2018, did you read my post on there? I felt back then you were acting in haste and hoped my experience of needing extensive welding on a van would give you encouragement. I ran it for five years then sold and 20 years after having the welding done it's still on the road today, fully taxed and mot'd.

Looking at the welding work needed on yours (according to MOT), that's not beyond the capability of a decent welder who knows how to use MIG properly....you just need to 'shop around' though if you find one through recommendation, so much the better. The first place i took that old van of mine to, they actually condemned it and said it was beyond saving but as i was about to leave one guy told me to ignore what i'd been told and he knew a competent welder who would probably take the job on. He gave me his phone number and the guy came to my home address to look at the work needed. Most was under body flooring and sills and told me he could easily do it with all internal furniture in situ.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by leonardo1776 Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:55 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The definition of a "Manifold" according to 'Wikipedia, is "A manifold is a wide and/or bigger pipe, or channel, into which smaller pipes or channels lead. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]".. It is the means by which the Butane or Propane gas from the main bottle assembly is distributed via respective turn valves or taps, to the cooker, fridge, water heater and room heater. I do not have a picture of mine on the Duetto, I show the one on my Hymer. In my Duetto, it is situate below a rear offside cupboard. I hope this makes 'gas isolating manifold' clear to you. As to your other point, I thought I made it clear that I had had the Duetto repaired at a cost of £3000
leonardo1776
leonardo1776

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:06 pm

The one in your picture is here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

!995 Duetto, Gas Isolation Taps. Product-image-1645-8mm-516-4-Way-Gas-Manifold-4-Way-Gas-Tap

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by leonardo1776 Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:14 pm

Thank you very much for your input, the picture I put up was NOT that of the gas manifold in my Duetto, of which the taps are not only loose (perhaps the labels are stuck on a cover which can come off to show a grub screw which can be tightened), but cannot be turned, I will certainly buy one just in case it fits the Duetto, nothing to loose for only £32.95.
leonardo1776
leonardo1776

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:11 pm

Personally, I'd take the money and run!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:01 pm

leonardo1776 wrote:[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The definition of a "Manifold" according to 'Wikipedia, is "A manifold is a wide and/or bigger pipe, or channel, into which smaller pipes or channels lead. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]".. It is the means by which the Butane or Propane gas from the main bottle assembly is distributed via respective turn valves or taps, to the cooker, fridge, water heater and room heater. I do not have a picture of mine on the Duetto, I show the one on my Hymer. In my Duetto, it is situate below a rear offside cupboard. I hope this makes 'gas isolating manifold' clear to you. As to your other point, I thought I made it clear that I had had the Duetto repaired at a cost of £3000
OK thanks for the upload but more importantly the location of your tap/s. I'll have a look at my van outlay tomorrow in daylight but to be honest the only "tap" i ever turn off/on is the gas bottle regulator....and as i said in previous post, when the gas isn't going to be used for a length of time, i simply remove the regulator from the bottle. Just a bit puzzled as to why when the bottle is connected anyone would want (or need) to isolate certain items from another such as fridge or oven? 

Anyway, new taps are peanut money and if you don't feel up to the job of fitting yourself any plumber would fit them in minutes for a small charge.

Yes i noticed after i'd posted you found someone who charged you £2500 for all the welding work. Given that price included removal of all internal fittings and re-fitting after welding i'd say that's not a bad price as it's undoubtedly more labour intensive than the welding!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down