The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Timing chain or belt

+10
roli
Spospe
redturner37
inspiredron
Campievanner
postman
rgermain
Rolyan
Paulmold
Sally
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Timing chain or belt Empty Timing chain or belt

Post by Sally Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:50 pm

Hi

Is it possible to find out if your vehicle (in my case a peugeot boxer 2011 diesel 2.2HDI I think) has a timing belt or chain, without looking inside the engine.  I would like to know before I get it serviced this year, but i would prefer to know myself so that I know what to ask for.  Can you check online?

Sally
x
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Timing chain or belt Empty Re: Timing chain or belt

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:59 pm

It is a Ford based engine which has a chain.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolyan Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:04 pm

Paulmold wrote:It is a Ford based engine which has a chain.
No wonder I get confused. A ford engine in a Peugeot!!!

That aside, at least I don’t have to ask for a cam belt change. 

Thanks Paul.
Rolyan
Rolyan

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Paulmold wrote:It is a Ford based engine which has a chain.
Hi Paul - I didn't even know that you could get a ford engine inside a different make of vehicle.  Is that usual (I'm not really up on cars to be honest).  Is that because they work together.  At least this way I know about the engine before I go into the garage, and they try and bamboozle me.

Thanks for your help, very prompt and efficient as usual.

Sally
x

P.S. i may buy myself some overalls and a spanner this year hugegrins
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:32 pm

There are many examples of collaboration between manufacturers. Early BMW Mini diesels are fitted with a Toyota engine. Mazda collaborate with Ford. Ford have several different engines that have been developed with other manufacturers

"There are several engines under the joint venture. Both parties supplied requirements, but each engine was led by a single partner. 

2.0/2.2/2.4/3.2 Puma - Ford led. Now used in all Ford and PSA light commercials. "

PSA is a vehicle group consisting of Citroen, Peugeot and even Vauxhall (and others) and is the second largest car / van manufacturer in Europe.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:41 pm

Paulmold wrote:There are many examples of collaboration between manufacturers. Early BMW Mini diesels are fitted with a Toyota engine. Mazda collaborate with Ford. Ford have several different engines that have been developed with other manufacturers

"There are several engines under the joint venture. Both parties supplied requirements, but each engine was led by a single partner. 

2.0/2.2/2.4/3.2 Puma - Ford led. Now used in all Ford and PSA light commercials. "

PSA is a vehicle group consisting of Citroen, Peugeot and even Vauxhall (and others) and is the second largest car / van manufacturer in Europe.
Wow!  As my dear old nan used to say, you’ve one mouth but 2 ears Sally, so listen and learn. Thank you for that information, I honestly thought all manufacturers were completely separate. 
Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:11 pm

My 2011 Warwick Duo Peugeot Boxer 2.2 diesel is a chain cam, this came from my garage computer, also visually.

Re wierd engines, my previous mh was a Renault trafic with a Mitsubishi engkne, my Volvo has a Renault engine!!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Am I right in thinking the 2.2 HDI is also fitted in the now defunct Land Rover Defender, I was told so as it is a strong unit?

You only have to look in the engine bay of the Boxer and you will see loads of Ford labels! and the oil filter on mine was a Ford one and cheaper to replace than a French Peugeot counter part.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:55 pm

"If you visit the Fiat Camper website ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you'll find the following advice in the FAQ part of the "EXTRAS" section: 

"Question: When do I have to replace the timing-belt/chain? 

Answer: The "for life" timing chain of 100 MultiJet, 160 MultiJet Power and 180 MultiJet Power engines does not need to be replaced. 

120 MultiJet, 130 MultiJet and 150 MultiJet engines have a timing belt which must be checked every 90,000 km and replaced every 180,000 km on Euro 4 engines, and checked every 96,000 km and replaced every 192,000 km on Euro 5 engines. 

On 115 MultiJet engines on the other hand, the belt must be checked every 48,000 km and replaced every 144,000 km. 

In all cases, the belt must be replaced every 5 years." 

You'd be ill-advised to trust the "Honest John" website (or Telegraph section) when it comes to things like this. The advice is often helpful, usually harmless, but sometimes wrong."

I have copied and pasted the above, just to show how confusing it can be. Timing belts or timing chains fitted willy nilly it seems to me.
postman
postman

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:57 pm

My Mk2 Freelander Sd4 had a PSA engine with Japanese Asin gearbox, the Td4 is slightly detuned from the Sd4.

The Mk1 Freelander Td4 was a BMW engine

Belt drive timing stretches due to fibres breaking down and because the steel drive pulleys are not significantly worn by the belt so do not compensate.

Chain drive mostly wear the link bush and the chainwheel pulley also wears. Clattery chaindrive timing can normally be heard by the mechanic long before the chain would fail because the tensioner runs out of travel. Wear is visible on a chain but most belts show little evidence of damage until it fails.

Be careful about "for life" because it can have a number of meanings in the motor industry. My daughter in laws Peugeot had "for life" lamps that failed after 4 years, that didn't mean they were replaced by Peugeot.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:09 pm

HairyFool wrote:My Mk2 Freelander Sd4 had a PSA engine with Japanese Asin gearbox, the Td4 is slightly detuned from the Sd4.

The Mk1 Freelander Td4 was a BMW engine

Belt drive timing stretches due to fibres breaking down and because the steel drive pulleys are not significantly worn by the belt so do not compensate.

Chain drive mostly wear the link bush and the chainwheel pulley also wears. Clattery chaindrive timing can normally be heard by the mechanic long before the chain would fail because the tensioner runs out of travel. Wear is visible on a chain but most belts show little evidence of damage until it fails.

Be careful about "for life" because it can have a number of meanings in the motor industry. My daughter in laws Peugeot had "for life" lamps that failed after 4 years, that didn't mean they were replaced by Peugeot.

I understand some VW chains are failing early due to out sourcing and badly worn dies used to stamp out the links.

Who knows who makes what in modern cars. Just a box of bits that they put together.

Just in time and B****T should be interesting.
----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Campievanner Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:31 pm

[quote="postman"]"If you visit the Fiat Camper website ([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] you'll find the following advice in the FAQ part of the "EXTRAS" section: 

I have copied and pasted the above, just to show how confusing it can be. Timing belts or timing chains fitted willy nilly it seems to me.[/quote]

Not too confusing, the models made at the Sevel factory come in three guises - Peugeot, Citroen & Fiat.

Peugeot & Citroen (PSA) are identical except for badges and minor trim differences, both utilising the Ford engines, cam chain.

Fiat use their own engines as you have quoted, some versions have chains, some have belts. Also automatic gearbox only available on Fiat models.
Campievanner
Campievanner

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stratford
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:11 pm

Thanks for putting me straight Campievanner. I mistakenly thought Fiat used the same engines as Peugeot and Citroen in their Boxers.

Still not sure if my 2012 Warwick Duo is a belt or a chain. I've been told it is a chain, but I've also been told it's a belt...

I can't even find the water pump by crawling under the van, never mind identify the cam drive.
I think most likely a belt as it seems too quiet for a chain.

When I had it serviced by Peugeot when under warranty I asked the mechanic who said he didn't know without looking - he didn't offer to look.

Guess I'll have to do my homework now as the van is six years old so I'd better start worrying about it.
postman
postman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:20 pm

Postman - I think you'll find it's a chain, same as mine if it's 2.2 litre.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:03 pm

Postman, my 2011 Duo is a chain, its 2.2 ltr.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by postman Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:03 pm

Ah, thanks gentlemen. That sounds like good news to me.
Yes Paul, it is 2.2ltr  .
Mine is a 2011 model same as yours Ian. Bought it new at a good price at NEC show in late 2011as it had been replaced by the new model, which it seems was identical, but without the fitted tv and passenger captain's seat.Didn't register it until Jan 2012 though.
postman
postman

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:41 am

The X250's 130bhp engines are 2.2 Ford Puma engines with a chain on Peugeot models and 2.3 Fiat engines with a belt on Fiat models. I haven't a clue regarding the bigger engines or the Citroen variants.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:18 am

I think I am right in saying the Puma 2.2 engine has been known to suffer from chain snapping, records also show the cam cover has to be smashed to get to the chain which if it did break also does a lot of damage to nearby parts, adding to replacement costs. Also it is an interference engine, so bang go the valves/pistons etc.

I understand good quality oil should always be used and changed often, which I am sure we all do with our pride and joy vans.

I could be wrong and hope I am.
-------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:38 am

Oil is far and away the most important and easily changed thing under your bonnet.
For me, oil and filter change (and EXACTLY the correct oil) every MOT irrespective of mileage, same for petrol car.
Cost is irrelevant especially when compared with the alternative!
allthumbz
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:17 pm

IanH wrote:Oil is far and away the most important and easily changed thing under your bonnet.
For me, oil and filter change (and EXACTLY the correct oil) every MOT irrespective of mileage, same for petrol car.
Cost is irrelevant especially when compared with the alternative!
allthumbz

Yes Yes, even at 3000 miles in the van and not much more in the cars, it's oil change along with filter, makers ones not motor factors, plus recommended oil every year.
Gives me peace of mind for a few quid.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by redturner37 Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:22 pm

My LDV Convoy camper had a Peugeot engine and that was a push rod motor. My current FIAT has a FIAT engine which has a belt..
redturner37
redturner37

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1991

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:44 pm

If in doubt about the engine fitted to a Boxer, have a look under the engine from the front. On the oil filter housing you will see a "Ford" logo and this means that the engine is a Ford Puma 2.2 chain drive camshaft model.

For a photo of the item, have a look at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have found that this vehicle is a particularly easy one to work on when changing the oil and filter. No need for ramps, axle stands or a pit, everything is easily reached from the front by lying on the ground (or a nice piece of soft carpet, left over from the lounge)
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Sally Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:21 pm

Hi everyone - some great comments for a newbie like me. Every day, in every way......

By the way, I won’t be laying on a piece of carpet under the engine, but I will be paying my man at the garage to do it for me.  I don’t suppose anyone knows exactly what oil I should be specifying do they?  When I have my car I just ask for an oil change. But I’m happy to be specific, as long as I have the details. 

Plus, before anyone asks, no I didn’t think it was a 710 cap; I know that one already  hugegrins 

Sally
X
Sally
Sally

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:43 pm

If your vans are anything like ours its got FoMoCo labels stuck all over which proves where it came from
roli
roli

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:35 pm

Sally wrote:Hi everyone - some great comments for a newbie like me. Every day, in every way......

By the way, I won’t be laying on a piece of carpet under the engine, but I will be paying my man at the garage to do it for me.  I don’t suppose anyone knows exactly what oil I should be specifying do they?  When I have my car I just ask for an oil change. But I’m happy to be specific, as long as I have the details. 

Plus, before anyone asks, no I didn’t think it was a 710 cap; I know that one already  hugegrins 

Sally
X

If you have the hand book or if not look on line, ie Castrol web site just enter the reg and it will come back with the correct grade and spec.

In mine I use Castrol 5/30 to C2 spec, but please don't take my word for it and do some research yourself.

I need 7ltr of oil which includes the filter, which I buy from the local Ford Main agent and I have got Castrol oil from Asda on offer or on line, not Halfords at their price!
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next