The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More Duo mods!

+2
Peter Brown
Paulmold
6 posters

Go down

More Duo mods! Empty More Duo mods!

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Having been frustrated that the kitchen 12v socket is not useable when the engine is running (habitation power goes off then) I came across this on Amazon under motorhome accesories.........

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Gives me 2 x USB at 2.1A each, one more 12v power socket and it is switchable. Now I can charge tablets, phones etc whilst under way so when we get to our destination all should be full. Handy little voltmeter as well, agrees with the solar remote display too which is a good thing.

Wired via a 10A inline fuse (12v Planet) directly to the LB, and earthed to the battery as well.

I have limited the 12v socket to a max of 5A to protect the wiring.

Here's how it looks in place, on the rear of the driver seat panel....[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Those of you who see the solar panel ON/OFF switch may be curious....

When the battery temperature is low, this is sensed by the solar controller which is co-located next to the battery, it compensates by raising the charge voltage. On occasions this is high enough to not allow the Sarjent control panel to switch on, it shows a flashing light in the top RH corner. By switching off the solar panel, the LB battery voltage reduces and allows the Sarjent to be switched on.

This worried me considerably at first, but I was convinced by the very knowledgeable people at Photonic Universe that this was perfectly normal. As it has been happening for 2 winters now and the LB seems fine, it must be true!. Once the LB voltage drops to allow Sarjent switching, and a load is applied, it is usually possible to switch the solar back on again to keep both batteries under charge.

The dashboard sockets, which could do the same thing, of course, are already in full time use, when moving, to power the dashcam, GPS Speedo, and GPS. Getting a bit Space Shuttle like in there now!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

More Duo mods! Empty Re: More Duo mods!

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:44 pm

is this switching off of habitation electrics an AS thing, a U.K. thing or NCC thing...
our 12v systems are on when the '12v systems' switch is ON, even when driving, so tablets/phones get charged as we go...
why would these systems need to be off, certainly inconvenient for us if they were.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:04 pm

bolero boy wrote:is this switching off of habitation electrics an AS thing, a U.K. thing or NCC thing...
our 12v systems are on when the '12v systems' switch is ON, even when driving, so tablets/phones get charged as we go...
why would these systems need to be off, certainly inconvenient for us if they were.
This shutdown is allegedly due to EMC (electromagnetic compatibility) regulations. While any Electrical device can be used in a vehicle while it is static, only those devices tested to conform to certain 'electrical interference' tests may be 'powered' while the vehicle is in motion.
That was extracted from a post on outandaboutlive forum by Aandncaravanservices.

Last edited by Paulmold on Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:04 pm

I like the panel and have found it on Amazon.  I can't work out where in the van it is installed from your photos.

Regarding disabling habitation electrics when the engine is running, It is to avoid having to gain type approval for the vehicle as required by United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation 10

Equipment in caravans and motor homes

Equipment that is intended for vehicles and operates when the vehicle is in use should comply with Regulation 10. Equipment which is powered independently from the vehicle supply and which can only be used when the vehicle is parked should comply with the EMC Directive.

Link to Regulation 10

Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:20 pm

so, in layman's speak, why do continental vans 'comply'....
both our German vans allowed for 12v systems on the move including the gas heating, which needs a 12v fan to distribute the heat.
I know that some uk vans have Truma Secumotion or CS ststems that allow this, are they effectively disabled as the 12v supply is off?
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:44 pm

Peter Brown wrote:I like the panel and have found it on Amazon.  I can't work out where in the van it is installed from your photos.

Regarding disabling habitation electrics when the engine is running, It is to avoid having to gain type approval for the vehicle as required by United Nations Economic Commission for Europe Regulation 10

Equipment in caravans and motor homes

Equipment that is intended for vehicles and operates when the vehicle is in use should comply with Regulation 10. Equipment which is powered independently from the vehicle supply and which can only be used when the vehicle is parked should comply with the EMC Directive.

Link to Regulation 10

HI Peter

It is on the vented panel behind the LB and on the rear lower of the driver seat, the start of the galley is just behind it. Best seen in the last pic, the other two were taken when this panel was off and in the workshop for the fitting. This is a 2011 Duo BTW
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:48 pm

IanH wrote:

It is on the vented panel behind the LB and on the rear lower of the driver seat, the start of the galley is just behind it. Best seen in the last pic, the other two were taken when this panel was off and in the workshop for the fitting. This is a 2011 Duo BTW

Got it - thanks.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB

Back to top Go down

Post by GP1069 Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:15 pm

Ian, was that panel easy to get off ??

AS Warwick XL
MINI GP #1069
GP1069
GP1069
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:40 pm

GP1069 wrote:Ian, was that panel easy to get off ??
Not too bad, you need to lever it with a broad screwdriver at the top where it meets the seat frame. At its lower edge it just hooks into square holes in the sear frame.
In the worst case that one or both of the locks break, self adhesive velcro will save the day!!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:11 pm

I too like this idea but we use that area for storage I wonder Ian did you consider any other location? Must admit it’s handy there for getting to the leisure battery

roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:40 pm

roli wrote:I too like this idea but we use that area for storage I wonder Ian did you consider any other location?  Must admit it’s handy there for getting to the leisure battery

Roger
With hindsight I might have gone for same panel on passenger seat, but its safer where it is as theres no traffic past it.As you say its convenient for the LB and short cable runs.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:03 pm

We had one fitted under the radio but it came out when fitting a double din one 
picture  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
We have a inverter in the same location but do not use it much
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:58 pm

I noticed that until on Amazon as well and did not relish the idea of making holes in the plastic areas of the dashboard our its surrounds. To fit it into the seat base is a brilliant idea. On our Nuevo the leisure battery is under the bed behind the driver seat so it would be easy to wire. It might even be worth considering the possibility of tapping into the EM 50?

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down