The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drive to charge.....

+2
Peter Brown
Sally
6 posters

Go down

Drive to charge..... Empty Drive to charge.....

Post by Sally Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:32 am

My van is in storage over winter, so I’ll be taking it out for runs every so often. 

How long should I drive it for?  5 miles?...10 miles?...fast?...slow?

Also, I’ve a good shopping centre near me.  If I drove it there (about 10 miles) and shopped then drove back, does the stopping/starting negate the benefits, or is it still good, meaning I get the battery charged, coffee and shoes, all in one hit hugegrins

Thanks for your help
Sally
Sally
Sally

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Drive to charge..... Empty Re: Drive to charge.....

Post by Peter Brown Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 am

If your 2011 van doesn't have a solar panel fitted or is stored inside, the batteries will discharge over three of four weeks to a level where they need to be recharged. Battery charging is time dependant and recharging from that level will take about 8 hours. If you want to keep the batteries topped up just by running the engine then drive for about an hour a couple of times a week. My 2011 van has an 80W solar panel and the batteries remain fully charged when standing on the drive whatever time of year.

It is good for the tyres and brakes to drive the van regularly and about 5 miles a week in urban conditions will do for that as the engine will get warm enough to function efficiently. I take my van to the leisure centre a couple of times a week but if I didn't go there I would take it to the supermarket - both are easy locations to park a big van - not so much of an issue with yours.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:26 pm

Sally wrote:My van is in storage over winter, so I’ll be taking it out for runs every so often. 

Also, I’ve a good shopping centre near me.  If I drove it there (about 10 miles) and shopped then drove back, does the stopping/starting negate the benefits, or is it still good, meaning I get the battery charged, coffee and shoes, all in one hit hugegrins

Thanks for your help
Sally
I would suggest at least 10 miles.So a trip of 20 miles would be sufficient.
Depending on your battery condition once a fortnight would suffice.

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:34 pm

mikethebike wrote:
Sally wrote:My van is in storage over winter, so I’ll be taking it out for runs every so often. 

Thanks for your help
Sally
I would suggest at least 10 miles.So a trip of 20 miles would be sufficient.
Depending on your battery condition once a fortnight would suffice.

Micky
Depending on roads, that will be charging for between 30 and 40 minutes which is nowhere near long enough to replenish the battery charge lost in 2 weeks.  You will therefore be starting the second period of 2 weeks with batteries that are only partially charged.  The loss will be cumulative and batteries probable flat in 8 weeks using that regime.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi peter, what sort of solar I/p are you getting at this time of year? I’ve only just picked up my new van and it’s showing less than an amp from the solar. About what I expected but nice to see what others are experiencing 
Peter Brown wrote:If your 2011 van doesn't have a solar panel fitted or is stored inside, the batteries will discharge over three of four weeks to a level where they need to be recharged.  Battery charging is time dependant and recharging from that level will take about 8 hours.  If you want to keep the batteries topped up just by running the engine then drive for about an hour a couple of times a week.  My 2011 van has an 80W solar panel and the batteries remain fully charged when standing on the drive whatever time of year.

It is good for the tyres and brakes to drive the van regularly and about 5 miles a week in urban conditions will do for that as the engine will get warm enough to function efficiently.  I take my van to the leisure centre a couple of times a week but if I didn't go there I would take it to the supermarket - both are easy locations to park a big van - not so much of an issue with yours.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:29 pm

If the battery is fully charged it won't draw any current from the panel. If the battery was discharged a bit, say from a couple of hours TV, you might get a couple of amps if its fairly bright.

If you don't have an EC500 power system then the panel will keep the batteries charged all year when the van is not being used, with the EC500 you have to manage the system - plenty of post about that already.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Nov 22, 2018 8:03 pm

Thanks Peter, I’m a pretty logical sort of guy but after picking up the van yesterday, owning a Motorhome is a massive learning curve!

Great fun though as I love all the practical stuff.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:43 am

Dbvwt wrote:Hi peter, what sort of solar I/p are you getting at this time of year? I’ve only just picked up my new van and it’s showing less than an amp from the solar. About what I expected but nice to see what others are experiencing 
Peter Brown wrote:If your 2011 van doesn't have a solar panel fitted or is stored inside, the batteries will discharge over three of four weeks to a level where they need to be recharged.  Battery charging is time dependant and recharging from that level will take about 8 hours.  If you want to keep the batteries topped up just by running the engine then drive for about an hour a couple of times a week.  My 2011 van has an 80W solar panel and the batteries remain fully charged when standing on the drive whatever time of year.

It is good for the tyres and brakes to drive the van regularly and about 5 miles a week in urban conditions will do for that as the engine will get warm enough to function efficiently.  I take my van to the leisure centre a couple of times a week but if I didn't go there I would take it to the supermarket - both are easy locations to park a big van - not so much of an issue with yours.
HI

Need to know a bit more..............
What size is your solar panel
What size is you leisure battery
Does the solar panel charge both the vehicle battery and the solar battery
Where is the vehicle parked, not indoors or under a tree for example

Your low charge rate is probably because the battery being charged is already near full, so the low current you are seeing is merely a top up charge.

Mine is 150w, 110Ah LB, and both batteries are full by lunchtime given reasonable conditions.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rose49f Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:54 am

I was told to drive until the oil got to correct temperature. That's what l do once a month during the three months in winter when l don't use. But l have a solar panel.
rose49f
rose49f
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:46 am

MH in storage and do similar: a longish run every 3/4 weeks. Fitted 100w solar panel this summer with the expectation of maintaining both batteries. Most of the power going to the vehicle battery. If necessary as an extra, can add a small solar panel on the dashboard, inside the van.
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down