The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper symphony wheel trims

+3
Johno
whisky
mikethebike
7 posters

Go down

Autosleeper symphony wheel trims Empty Autosleeper symphony wheel trims

Post by mikethebike Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:29 am

Any suggestion where i can get replacement trims?
thanks
Mike think_smiley_46
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper symphony wheel trims Empty Re: Autosleeper symphony wheel trims

Post by whisky Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:57 am

Hi Mike.

Most dealers with accessory shops have them. Bit on the dear side though. Far better to buy some at one of the large motorhome shows. They normally have sets in silver, chrome, and stainless steel. A couple of years back I bought a chrome set for my Executive at York show. One had a tiny scratch so they sold me the set for a tenner. Good stuff.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:56 am

Hello Mike

I've just ordered complete set for my Tranny based Eton from Car Mats Direct on Ebay £28-80 inc p&p, I can't say what the quality is like as I am still awaiting delivery.

Cheers John. up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Eton
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Post by bertb Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:01 pm

I know it's not close to you Mike but I got a set from Canwell Caravans at Sutton Coldfield for £29.99. This is for a Peugeot Boxer with domed wheels. No name on the pack, just shrink wrapped. Have you tried AS?
bertb
bertb

Male

Member Age : 82
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:30 am

Wheel trims arrived this morning good quality and really enhance the appearance of the MH, content just need to ensure the internal spring is set to the correct diameter for the wheel before fitting, only two sizes dead simple for a change. allthumbz

Cheers John. up!
Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartfarst Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:54 pm

On the subject of wheel trims, bear in mind that the light commercial vehicle chassis used for our vans were neither designed nor type-approved with trims fitted.

One issue is that when touring in mountainous terrain the front brakes of a fully-laden van get bloomin' hot. Prior to modification the discs on our 1995 2.0i Harmony were solid, unventilated and in summer they got incredibly hot on long decents, even when going relatively slowly. Wheel trims restrict the flow of air around discs and wheels inevitably reducing the efficiency of cooling thus risking overheating and fading. So be careful what type you fit.

Another issue: trims were originally fitted to our Harmony but both of those on the rear wheels shot off simultaneously as we crossed our first cattle grid at speed. Thereafter, as with many non-OEM wheel trims, they would not stay one without the use of cable ties. In the end we gave up and went for the 'naked' look.

Bartfarst
Bartfarst
Bartfarst

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 Boxer Harmony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Johno Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:41 pm

Hi Bartfarst

Good point regarding wheel trims restricting air flow to brake discs and contributing to possible overheating. The slots in the cheapo trims I purchased off ebay match perfectly with the vent slots in the wheels more by coincidence than design probably so I feel they would barely if at all restrict the air flow to the discs, most of the trims these days seem to be well ventilated including the genuine ( and expensive ) Ford items.
Regarding losing them thank heavens for the ubiquitous cable tie, I blazed my trails in the past with lost trims before the advent of the tie ( yes I am that old ) and they do make the MH look nice, content I'm to bashful for the naked look. blushes

Cheers John. up!

P.S Having had brake fade in an old VW camper coming down the Honister Pass many years ago I know just where you are coming from Bart. quick_run

Johno
Johno
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:00 am

mikethebike wrote:Any suggestion where i can get replacement trims?
thanks
Mike think_smiley_46

I got replacement trims, exactly as already fitted, for my Peugeot Boxer, from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who actually manufacture them & the cost was £12.00 for set of 4. but they charged £12.50 for carriage.
The company is near Southend Essex & it may be cheaper to pick them up. phone No. is 01702 202795

Model No. of the trims is WTJ15LS

Last edited by mikemelson on Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : missed out item number)

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:12 pm

mikemelson wrote:
mikethebike wrote:Any suggestion where i can get replacement trims?
thanks
Mike think_smiley_46

I got replacement trims, exactly as already fitted, for my Peugeot Boxer, from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] who actually manufacture them & the cost was £12.00 for set of 4. but they charged £12.50 for carriage.
The company is near Southend Essex & it may be cheaper to pick them up. phone No. is 01702 202795

Model No. of the trims is WTJ15LS

Thats good to know. I've got chrome ones fitted at the moment but if ever we change the van, I would need to replace with a set of originals as the ones I removed were all damaged.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down