The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump

5 posters

Go down

Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump Empty Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:15 pm

For the second time in this van I am having problems with the whale water system and have the need to fix the non return valve.

The first time I had this problem was when the van was new & I took it back to dealers and got a new pressure switch fitted.
This time I want to fix it myself.

I know the non return valve is in the pressure switch and these are cheap ~£25.
The photo shows how I have removed the clutter from around the pressure switch.
I plan to remove the 2 screws and 2 electrical connectors indicated in the photo.

Does anyone know how to remove the water pipes?

Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump 2018-110
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump Empty Re: Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:37 pm

I believe you pull the collar along the pipe and then pull the pipe.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump Empty Re: Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump

Post by inspiredron Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:16 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:I believe you pull the collar along the pipe and then pull the pipe.
That's right but I am not sure whether you push or pull the collar.  I believe it is a push as it then goes in automatically as you push a pipe into the fitting.  The collar is what looks like a thin disk on the connection nearest the bottom of your photo.  It is very easy but be prepared for a small amount of spillage.  I am surprised that you have had 2 pressure switches fail in a little over a year.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did indeed need to push the collet back and that releases the catch holding the pipe. Glad I didn't just try to force it.
There is a video on you tube showing the method if anyone else needs to do this.

I drained the Truma system (not tank underneath) so there was no spillage.

I can hardly believe it but I have managed to get the pressure switch off a Warwick Duo without breaking anything. drinksallround

I tested the pressure switch once I got it inside the house, and I could blow air through in the reverse direction so the non return valve is indeed broken.
I ordered a new one off Amazon Prime, £28 and delivered tomorrow. I trust Amazon with regards to getting a replacement if necessary.

So I started to wonder if the pressure switch does actually contain a non return valve or if it is a separate item so I dismantled the pressure switch. It does indeed contain a (rather crude) non return valve, I pulled it all apart which I thought would destroy it but I don't need it any more.
Of course, when I reassembled it all, the non return valve now works.  hugegrins

I have noticed there is no filter on the inlet, and if the submersible pump lays on the floor of the tank it may pick up crud, and the non return valve looks vulnerable to small particles preventing it from sealing.

If it fails again, I think I will just get a Shurflo system fitted. Not because I don't believe in submersible pumps but the Shurflo just seems a better quality item.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kaspian Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:42 pm

A/s don , before spending ££ on Shurflo think of it this way. The non return valve is as you say simple, it can also be dismantled in a couple of moments to clean if you have filled with dirty water or sediment forming over time. A filter would also need cleaning so in the end I would stick with the K.I.S.S. train of thought.   hugegrins
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 pm

kaspian wrote:A/s don , before spending ££ on Shurflo think of it this way. The non return valve is as you say simple, it can also be dismantled in a couple of moments to clean if you have filled with dirty water or sediment forming over time. A filter would also need cleaning so in the end I would stick with the K.I.S.S. train of thought.   hugegrins
Not as simple as the Shurflo!! 
I just had to rise to that with a reputation to uphold!  Whistle1
Jesting aside - it really is the simplest and most reliable solution . . . in my opinion of course.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:41 pm

Still got shares in Shurflo then, Dave! hugegrins hugegrins hugegrins 
If the pick up in the OP's tank is sitting in sludge enough to block the non return valve in the pressure switch that frequently then the answer is a simple filter over the pump inlet - perhaps use the foot of Mrs OP's tights?  However, the filter that you need to fit on a Shurflo would also do the trick.

Some water supplies are notoriously sandy - I remember filling with water at a site in Brussels about 12 years ago and when I emptied the tank on arriving home there was  a layerof sand in th ebottom of the tank about 2 or 3mm thick.  On that van the tank was in a bed locker and had a top hatch for cleaning and for pulling out the drain plug, just like the one in a sink - and on a chain!

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:33 am

Wish I had Ron!  Whistle1

Joking aside though, there's a constant, steady stream of problems on here concerning the Whale system, but rarely (if ever) does anyone experience the slightest glitch with the Sh..... you know what!

As you know, my biggest concern was the possibility (probability?) of the submersible pump in the tank failing while on holiday abroad . . . which has happened to several of our members. They found themselves deep in the merde with no working pump.

Of course it's not up to me to tell others what to do, but I think a major function of our forum is to alert and warn others of possible problems, and how best to avoid them. Hence the old fiddle comes out again for the benefit of newcomers who may be reading this.  smile!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:19 pm

The new pressure switch arrived and I have fitted it. All works great.
I am happier doing this job myself rather than taking to a dealer. I know what has been done.

I had 3 (to me big) obstacles to overcome and I think I only dared do this knowing I could rely on the support of this great forum.

So the pump now stays off rather than pumping every 30 seconds.

I noticed something in the fitting instructions below. I think strainer means filter.
I know my van doesn't have a filter fitted. scratch head

Non Return Valve on Whale Water Pump 2018-111
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down