The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Y2k 2L petrol

2 posters

Go down

Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Y2k 2L petrol Empty Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Y2k 2L petrol

Post by the wheelbarrow Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi again folks

We recently acquired a Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper – Symbol, 2000 with 45000 miles and a chequered service history

2.0L petrol

It runs sweetly and starts easily but…

We’re planning on a full engine service and a replacement of the timing belt / water pump followed by MOT.

Anyone had this done recently and can advise rough costs?
We're going to get a couple of quotes but I'd like a ballpark figure of possible.

Thanks
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Benivan 120
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Y2k 2L petrol Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Y2k 2L petrol

Post by boxerman Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:48 pm

I always do my own, so no idea on cost.
For the record - what is included in a 'full' engine service?
Change oil and filter, set of plugs, is there anything else?
I can't see them adjusting the valve clearances - that's a very time consuming, and probably unnecessary job.
The air filter will be OK unless you have been somewhere very dusty. I take mine out from time to time, look at it, maybe give it a few taps and replace it.

i don't think replacing the cambelt & waterpump are classed as part of a normal service, but would they be included in a 'full' engine service?

Find out exactly what you are paying for.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Y2k 2L petrol Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Y2k 2L petrol

Post by the wheelbarrow Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:26 pm

Cambelt not included in full service. Had a price for that at £450. Seems a lot when the parts are less than £100. How hard a job is it?
Also - how easy to do the service? 

I am a bit concerned about the belt tho - I'd like a bit of a guarantee with it which the local garage will give... at a price!

Quite handy - younger days had old sprites / spitfires plus lots of motorbikes - jap and brit - engine rebuilds / gearbox rebuilds etc

Particularly - gearbox oil? How easy is this?

Thanks
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Sep 12, 2018 3:55 pm

the wheelbarrow wrote:Cambelt not included in full service. Had a price for that at £450. Seems a lot when the parts are less than £100. How hard a job is it?

Technically - not difficult but you have to remove quite a bit of stuff to get to it, this takes time so the main cost will be labour.

Also - how easy to do the service? 

As I said above - there's not a lot to do. No points to set, or tappets to adjust, the garage will have to remove the alternator and PAS pump belts to do the cambelt so they should be correctly adjusted when they've done. Easier to do than on your Spitfire [unless it was one with a Merlin engine?]

I am a bit concerned about the belt tho - I'd like a bit of a guarantee with it which the local garage will give... at a price!

Quite handy - younger days had old sprites / spitfires plus lots of motorbikes - jap and brit - engine rebuilds / gearbox rebuilds etc

Particularly - gearbox oil? How easy is this?

Thanks
Again - no more difficult than your previous vehicles.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by the wheelbarrow Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:34 pm

Thanks Frank - really appreciate the help / advice
the wheelbarrow
the wheelbarrow

Male

Back to top Go down