The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How does fridge work, Topaz

+4
PLOUGHLIN
Paulmold
snow863
Bertha2
8 posters

Go down

How does fridge work, Topaz Empty How does fridge work, Topaz

Post by Bertha2 Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:30 pm

I have a 12 month old Topaz. I have numerous issues with it and a number of questions on operation. The dealer won't respond. Autosleeper won't respond. Another dealer can't help as it on warranty.   
First, How does the fridge work? How do I switch from 12 volt to 240 volt as the manual says I must? What is the black box with a red lighted button under the bench seat against the fridge? Do I just have to plug the hook up lead in and turn the dial inside the fridge?
Bertha2
Bertha2

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

How does fridge work, Topaz Empty Re: How does fridge work, Topaz

Post by snow863 Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:39 pm

Which model fridge do you have? Most have pdf instructions online if you google the model.
Our Kingham fridge switches over automatically. When driving it is on 12v, when stopped it automatically switches to gas until we plug in to electric hook up at which point it automatically switches to 240v electric.
The black.box with red light sounds like your Power Supply Unit and the red light means its on.
Do you have an Autosleepers manual for your vehicle? It will answer most of your questions. Again if you gpogle Autosleeper Topaz manual you should get a pdf copy online.
snow863
snow863

Female

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:47 pm

Did the dealer give a handover instruction with you? Who is this dealer that won't respond? Is this really a 2017 Topaz, I thought they had stopped making them by then?
Do you have the Topaz manual or the fridge manual. Sorry for so many questions, just need more information so we can help.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertha2 Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:00 pm

Last edited by Bertha2 on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bertha2
Bertha2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertha2 Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:04 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Fridge is a Domestic RM122 or RM123.
No I don't think the box is the power supply unit. It only has the lighted switch on it but does not seem to do anything or draw current.
I have all manuals and been searching for answers on line 
for 12 months. I would not recommend Autosleeper for After sales service.
I had a half hour induction when I picked up the van, but it is not possible to remember everything.
Bertha2
Bertha2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:06 pm

There is a 2016 handbook on AS site. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertha2 Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:19 pm

The fridge is cooling now on 240 volts, When I unplug lead, will it automatically switch to 12 volt when the engine starts with dial inside on?
Bertha2
Bertha2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by snow863 Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:20 pm

The fridge in our Kingham is a Thetford model so different to yours. Looking at the manual Peter put a link up for it would appear that you do need to switch between 240v, gas or 12v.
We had one like this in our older van.
You have to cool the fridge down first on electric or gas then switch to 12v for driving.
Looking at the manual it appears the 240v is controlled by the dial inside the fridge and the 12v switch is the on off switch outside. This only works when switched on and the engine is on as it runs on the vehicle battery it only keeps the fridge cool while driving and cant be used to cool it down from room temp.
If your not on electric hook up when parked up you should switch to gas to keep it cooled the control for this is the dial on the front.
Your dealer should have explained all of this to you am shocked they are refusing to help.
snow863
snow863

Female

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:58 pm

Bertha2 - You get better response from members if you take a moment to introduce yourself here....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Bertha2 Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:29 pm

snow863 wrote:The fridge in our Kingham is a Thetford model so different to yours. Looking at the manual Peter put a link up for it would appear that you do need to switch between 240v, gas or 12v.
We had one like this in our older van.
You have to cool the fridge down first on electric or gas then switch to 12v for driving.
Looking at the manual it appears the 240v is controlled by the dial inside the fridge and the 12v switch is the on off switch outside. This only works when switched on and the engine is on as it runs on the vehicle battery it only keeps the fridge cool while driving and cant be used to cool it down from room temp.
If your not on electric hook up when parked up you should switch to gas to keep it cooled the control for this is the dial on the front.
Your dealer should have explained all of this to you am shocked they are refusing to help.
Thank for reply. This is what my manuals from auto sleeper and for the fridge say as well.
But there is no switch evident for changing from 240 to 12 volt or explanation as to how to change over.
Tonight is the first time in 12 months I've got the fridge to cool and this on 240 volts.
Ive had it on 240 volts before overnight and it did not cool.
I've sent photos to the dealer, auto sleeper and another dealer of the black box under the seat that does nothing, but got no answers.
I have many other issues with water and heating etc as well. I have yet to have a successful trip, usually because the water tank has emptied automatically through the boiler dump opening.
Bertha2
Bertha2

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:14 am

Bertha, I have a 2005 Topaz. I am not sure that this is exactly the same as yours. When travelling we leave both the 12v and the 240v switches on.  Only when the engine is running, the fridge operates on 12v. When we stop we go onto electric hookup (EHU) and the fridge runs on 240v. Leave both switches on. There is no need to alter either switch. 
If you have no EHU you must use gas.
I am guessing that the black box under the seat is your 240 volt water heater switch. If you list your water and heating problems, we can try to help.  As mentioned earlier, AS had ceased producing the Topaz before 2017. You should seek clarification on this with the dealer.
Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:40 am

KMRTOPAZ wrote:AS had ceased producing the Topaz before 2017.

Keith - until a few days ago I thought that too, and then I noticed this:

I was surprised, and had not expected to ever see one based on a T6, but they do exist, it seems. I suspect that they are being made outside of the main factory in a similar way to the last of the Troopers (with the fabric roof) but that's just conjecture...

[Edit: there's also a 2016 T6-based Topaz for sale at North Devon Motorhomes - again very low mileage, very high price].
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:05 am

The fridge fitted to your Topaz is the RM 123, three way model. Here is the link to the Dometic manual which may provide you with a bit more info. https://cdn.dometic.com/assets/24/09/installation%20and%20operating%20manual_52409.pdf?att=true

There appears to be no separate switch on the actual fridge to select 12v, so I am wondering if A/S have wired it to the box you have described with a separate switch to turn it on and off? Remember  the 12v operation will only work when the ignition is live.

(Mojo , just for info the T6 Topaz was made in the main factory for about 18 months. It's unusual as there are several key changes to the original design:- fixed rather than sliding door into bathroom, Galow bottle with lpg external fill, tiny fridge 31ltr, Truma 4 heating, cooker replacing hob and grill. The back of the high top roof was also modified slightly to take into account the small change to T6  tailgate over the T5. High top windows also obsolete, some very early T6s did have them fitted however - left over A/S stock from T5 models)
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:08 am

Sorry, link went wrong, try this ...

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:59 am

Hoopman wrote:(Mojo , just for info the T6 Topaz was made in the main factory for about 18 months. It's unusual as there are several key changes to the original design:- fixed rather than sliding door into bathroom, Galow bottle with lpg external fill, tiny fridge 31ltr, Truma 4 heating, cooker replacing hob and grill. The back of the high top roof was also modified slightly to take into account the small change to T6  tailgate over the T5. High top windows also obsolete, some very early T6s did have them fitted however - left over A/S stock from T5 models)

That's interesting - thanks for the info. I hadn't actually noticed the lack of roof windows before - that must make the T6 models a bit cave-like up top!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Same as the last Duetto's but the Heki makes up for their loss.
frederic
We saw a new T6 at Perthshire Caravans and the inside trimmings were a pale comparison to our 2009 T5
as were the last 12 'Marquis' pale blue Duetto's to our present 2009 one.
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by merv Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:20 pm

On the question of ceasing production, I heard a few weeks ago from someone fairly knowledgeable that there had been a problem with the ad-blue (pump?) and the electrics of the van and that AS had been unable to resolve it. I can't pretend to understand the technical nature of this but share it for what it's worth.0
merv

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol Plus
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:57 pm

Interesting merv
I think that they also priced themselves out of the VW T5/6 market, a short 60k pounds is a lot for a 'small'  'van. 
Interior build quality went down and other converters were more innovative.
Interior did not lend itself to a spacious layout and I think the same applied to the later Duetto's on the medium wheelbase, in comparison with the Symbols
frederic
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down