The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery

5 posters

Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery Empty Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery

Post by zimmy Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:04 pm

I need to replace the leisure battery in my Symbol and would like to fit a larger battery than the existing 85 a/h, if possible.

During a topic on this matter in September last year, Winter Camper said he had modified his battery mount plate to accommodate a
100 a/h Elecsol battery. He said he had some pics of the simple mod if anyone was interested. At the time no one appeared to show any interest, but I would like to know how it was done please, if Winter Camper could oblige. Also anyone else who could share a bit of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Zimmy
zimmy
zimmy

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery

Post by Paulmold Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:20 pm

I've extracted this from another thread regarding change of battery on a Nuevo, I think it refers to the same battery you mention....

Hi,

I have just changed my leisure battery and posted this info under another stream.

It might also be heplful for people in this post.

Chasis is a 2004 peugeot,

"I have now removed the battery and replaced the 85ah Green power battery with 100ah Elecsol battery which is a no maintenance leisure battery that I bought for a Bongo I used to have.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

The battery fits perfectly between the front and back floor mounted stays but is a fraction to long to go in=between the clamp bolts at either end. The solution was to simply "nibble" away a little bit of the lip on the bottom of the battery where the clamp bolts are. This is not part of the main battery body but an added bit to enable clamping"
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery Empty Re: Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery

Post by zimmy Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi Paul

Thanks for that item, sounds what I am looking for.

Zimmy
zimmy
zimmy

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:33 pm

I know this thread's a bit old, but others may be interested: how does one nibble at the bottom
clampy-lip bit of a battery?
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Auto-Sleeper Symbol Leisure Battery Empty Nibbling

Post by murph Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:31 am

To remove part of those lugs just use a coarse file or a rasp they are only plastic.

Brian2

murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:58 pm

zimmy wrote:I need to replace the leisure battery in my Symbol and would like to fit a larger battery than the existing 85 a/h, if possible.

During a topic on this matter in September last year, Winter Camper said he had modified his battery mount plate to accommodate a
100 a/h Elecsol battery. He said he had some pics of the simple mod if anyone was interested. At the time no one appeared to show any interest, but I would like to know how it was done please, if Winter Camper could oblige. Also anyone else who could share a bit of wisdom would be very much appreciated.

Zimmy

I modified my plate to take a 125ah Leisure battery and it was relatively simple.

At the time I needed to replace the plate anyway so searched around for a good used L/H original Ford tray/plate. A new one costs a staggering £100 plus £30 for the clamp and strap so it makes it worthwhile searching for a used one. However, used L/H batt trays are extremely difficult to find. A few commercial Transits were fitted with them, but not many. I dropped lucky but it took many phone calls to locate one.

All I did was simply flatten the plate edge so the bigger battery would sit flush with the tray. So all you need is a lump hammer....and a flat surface!

Simple as that! smile!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down