The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thetford Fridge

+5
Gromit
Kingham
Peter Brown
Lorfal
Nessie1
9 posters

Go down

Thetford Fridge Empty Thetford Fridge

Post by Nessie1 Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:51 pm

Hi fellow owners

My Thetford fridge is not working on any power source.  I have never had this problem before although van is fairly new to me.  I have had a quick look at previous posts which suggest that the van needs to be level.  I don't, however, think this is the problem.  

My van is still under warranty so I will contact the dealers (tho I feel I am never away from them) but wondered if any of you have any thoughts.

I also have a reversing camera that only works intermittently which I don't like very much either!!

Cheers

Lizzie
Nessie1
Nessie1

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot symbol
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Thetford Fridge Empty Re: Thetford Fridge

Post by Lorfal Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:41 pm

Has it worked at all since you had it? When did you notice it not working?
Just thinking anymore info you have  you might get more directed response. Probably best from fellow symbol owner ?
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessie1 Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:44 pm

It has worked with all power sources since I got van in february. Generally I am hooked up either at home or camp site, no problem. I run it from vehicle battery when travelling. Recently I have stayed a couple of days without an electrical source so ran the fridge from lpg supply. I noticed the fridge was off last night so tried to reset. I have plenty of gas. Would not reset. I checked with the engine running today, fridge would not work. I am now at home and have connected to power source and fridge will not set itself. I have consulted the autosleeper manual I got with van and the Thetford booklet but no good info really. Thank you for your reply. I am pretty inexperienced and do not have a lot of practical experience with the workings of the van when things go wrong.
Nessie1
Nessie1

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:11 am

I’m not the most experienced either, but you might want to try change the fuse on your control panel. It should be easy enough to find the fuse for the fridge either on the panel itself or from the maual. It is something you can do by yourself.....honest it’s easy....once you know how. If a fuse change works then voila! If not then you know it’s not the fuse.

I know my manual tells you what fuse matches which appliance . My old van had a sticky note close by to tell you.

Guess it’s worth a shot?
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am

Lorfal wrote:I’m not the most experienced either, but you might want to try change the fuse on your control panel. It should be easy enough to find the fuse for the fridge either on the panel itself or from the maual. It is something you can do by yourself.....honest it’s easy....once you know how. If a fuse change works then voila! If not then you know it’s not the fuse.

I know my manual tells you what fuse matches which appliance . My old van had a sticky note close by to tell you.

Guess it’s worth a shot?

On the Sargent power supply you need the fuse labelled 'permanent supply'.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessie1 Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:26 am

Ok. That’s brilliant. I will try that.
L
Nessie1
Nessie1

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:23 pm

Nessie1 wrote:............  I have never had this problem before although van is fairly new to me.  I have had a quick look at previous posts which suggest that the van needs to be level.  I don't, however, think this is the problem.............
Cheers

Lizzie

That suggestion is correct, but it only refers to gas as far as I know. 240v and 12v don't require the van to be level, so yours doesn't sound like a levelling issue.

Ken.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Kingham wrote:That suggestion is correct, but it only refers to gas as far as I know. 240v and 12v don't require the van to be level, so yours doesn't sound like a levelling issue.
Ken.
Why is that Ken?
There has to be a reason, but I don't know enough about the innards of a fridge to work it out????  scratch head think_smiley_46
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:25 pm

I'll do some digging later Dave, but I've always assumed it was something to do with the gas jet and the fact that a flame sits upright, whereas the other two power sources don't have that problem.

I'm not a gas engineer though and don't know that for certain, but the only times I've had problems with my fridges not working, they've always been on gas and not level.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveUK Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:31 pm

Gromit wrote:
Kingham wrote:That suggestion is correct, but it only refers to gas as far as I know. 240v and 12v don't require the van to be level, so yours doesn't sound like a levelling issue.
Ken.
Why is that Ken?
There has to be a reason, but I don't know enough about the innards of a fridge to work it out????  scratch head think_smiley_46

Interesting.  I understood that the need for the fridge to be reasonably level was to allow the circulating gas to move properly through the pipework before it condensed back to a liquid and started the journey again.

The only difference between gas/240v/12v operation is the heat source; the circulation of the gas is identical and so would only operate effectively if level (or close to level).

Edit:  This explains the operation reasonably well:  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
SteveUK
SteveUK
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:33 pm

....and after a short bit of digging, I retract my earlier statement as it looks like the reason for levelling is due to the refrigerant liquids and applies equally to all three power sources.

That'll teach me to listen to urban myth without checking  up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:22 pm

Good thing you did Ken.
It brings it to the notice of our members, so it has done them a favour!  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:31 am

Be sure to let us know how you get on Nessie....fingers crossed the fuse change works
Lorfal
Lorfal
Donator
Donator

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ymfb1 Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:56 pm

We are having what on the surface of it the same problem.

We last used the van on 22nd July and during that trip and all previous trips the fridge has worked without issue.  We plug into the mains at home to chill it down a few days before we set off and load the fridge.  We make the ice cubes in the freezer box.

We travelled up to Norfolk on 02/08 and thought the fridge didn’t feel it’s usual chilly self.  Although the cabinet (by my feet) is still warm.

We have mains, we have plenty of gas and the leisure battery is full. When set to Auto the fridge chooses mains, I have tried overriding it and setting it to gas, but I can’t hear anything.

The van is level without levellers.

The Sargent contract had the wrong time set, which I have corrected, both gas valves under the settee are on.  No fuses are burnt or MCBs tripped.

Can anyone else suggest things to test ?
ymfb1
ymfb1

Male

Member Age : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Aug 04, 2018 5:21 pm

Kingham wrote:....and after a short bit of digging, I retract my earlier statement as it looks like the reason for levelling is due to the refrigerant liquids and applies equally to all three power sources.

That'll teach me to listen to urban myth without checking  up!

It's not quite an urban myth. As pointed out in another thread, the gas powered side relies on hot air rising under convection through the centre of the heat exchanger, and if the van is significantly out of level it can't do that as effectively. But, as you say, the effect of refrigerant circulation covers all of the power sources and ~probably~ dominates the other.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:16 pm

Just to add to this levelling debate. I've had first hand experience of this. Before I had the level hardstanding constructed, we stored the van on our very steep drive, about 30 degrees.
On EHU the fridge cooled as normal, but on the one occasion I tried gas the temperature never dropped.
So I'm of the opinion that not being level has little effect on the fridge coolant circulation.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Nessie1 Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:47 am

Morning all,
Just back on the site after a busy few weeks, mostly travelling, I have to say!  I took my van back to the dealers as still under warranty and they did a thorough investigation.  The connection had come loose at the back of the fridge (is it a sort of plug, maybe?).  They put it back together and popped a tie on it, said it was fairly common.  Fridge has been perfect since then.  Thank for all the posts.
Lizzie
Nessie1
Nessie1

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Lorfal Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:57 am

Glad to hear you are sorted Nessie!
Lorfal
Lorfal