The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gas leak

+3
Mindhyg
-mojo-
Magoo
7 posters

Go down

Gas leak Empty Gas leak

Post by Magoo Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:58 pm

I recently put my Auto-Sleeper Stratford in to a garage to repair a fault under warranty ( vehicle purchased June this year) the garage reported a strong smell of gas coming from the vehicle. I rang the supplier to be told that a switch on the dashboard used to check the level of gas in the tank may have been switched on by accident and dumped the gas from the cylinder. Has anyone got any info if this poss. T I A.
Magoo
Magoo
Magoo

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stratford
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Gas leak Empty Re: Gas leak

Post by -mojo- Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:28 pm

Magoo wrote:I rang the supplier to be told that a switch on the dashboard used to check the level of gas in the tank may have been switched on by accident and dumped the gas from the cylinder.

With the greatest of respect to your supplier, that sounds like a load of old tosh to get you off the phone!

I can' t think of any reason why the manufacturer of a gas storage system should include a feature that "dumps the gas" and I can't think of a safe way that they could do it, even if they wanted to.

On systems with removable cylinders probably the most common cause of gas leaks is the connection from hose to tank (the propane POL connector for example is very susceptible to leaks if the nose picks up even the slightest damage) but it sounds like yours has an underslung cylinder.

If that's true, it would probably be best to turn off the gas supply at the valve on the underslung cylinder. If you still smell gas leaking it needs very urgent attention from a qualified gas fitter. If the smell goes, but comes back when the main valve is turned on, it needs attention from a qualified gas fitter, and should be fixed before the vehicle is used again.

Last edited by -mojo- on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:31 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Can't spell)
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:56 pm

Thanks Mojo
I have asked a gas service engineer to check the vehicle over. It was supposed to have had a full habitation check when I bought it!
Magoo
Magoo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:54 am

Hi Magoo. And after your gas engineer has done the gas check the source of the gas smell is??
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Magoo Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:56 am

Hi Minghyg
The engineer reported that the leak was from the regulator, which he has replaced. He also found that the gas tank was badly corroded which is now going to be replaced by the supplier. There is criteria in the code of practice for fixed LPG tanks on motorhomes. It appears that the underslung tanks should be replaced after 10 years of use. There is a list of defects to a tank that require the tank to be replace mostly bulges and corrosion.
Magoo
Magoo
Magoo

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:45 am

It doesn't have to be replaced if it can pass testing which involves the following..

• Paint and rust removal with shot blasting.

• Inspection of tank and fittings.

• Replacement of Primary valves and fittings. I

• NDT Inspections

• Tank Re-paint.

• Full certification.

It can then be certified for a further 10 years. The biggest problem is finding someone to do it. I have read that Gasit aren't interested.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:29 am

Hi Magoo 

At least that's a relief for you knowing where the leak was coming from and getting the problem sorted. If the tank has corrosion that bad it was just as well to get it replaced. 

To stop future corrosion I think that the under slung Gasit tanks  are now under sealed 75% up from the base of the tank - well the tank on mine is anyway.

An interesting thought re the under slung gas tank corrosion on any PVC or motorhome and could it be an issue with the MoT inspection. Is it part of the inspection when up on the ramp - someone may know the answer? I wonder if bad corrosion of the tank could result in a MoT failure, because it could be deemed a vehicle safety issue. I would imagine that a visibly badly corroded fuel/ LPG tank on a car or van would almost certainly result in a failure.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:41 am

Surely it can't be part of the MOT test unless it's included in the MOT test manual?
Presumably, though, a good inspector would point it out to you.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:40 pm

rogerblack wrote:Surely it can't be part of the MOT test unless it's included in the MOT test manual?
Roger, that's why I asked the question to start with, I don't have a copy of the testers manual - do you?. So can we assume that it's not in the MoT manual, it's not inspected and would not result in a fail under vehicle safety??  up!
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisk Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:48 pm

It might not be in the mot but I’m sure if the testers see something dangerous they can fail it.
chrisk
chrisk
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Berkshire
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:03 pm

Mindhyg wrote:
rogerblack wrote:Surely it can't be part of the MOT test unless it's included in the MOT test manual?
Roger, that's why I asked the question to start with, I don't have a copy of the testers manual - do you?. So can we assume that it's not in the MoT manual, it's not inspected and would not result in a fail under vehicle safety??  up!
Testers manual can be found on line.  I recently looked at it for LED haedlamp bulbs

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:23 pm

First result on G**gle search for "MOT test manual":

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:42 pm

Thanks Roger, that's a good read.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:20 pm

You might also find this page useful as it's advice from DVSA aimed at MOT testers:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Note in particular the part I've quoted here:

"Extra service
Another thing we noticed is that you like to provide your customers with a great service. If you spot a problem that isn’t part of the MOT, lots of you still want to tell them about it. This is because you take pride in your work and want to do a proper job. That’s great and we absolutely encourage you do that.

We just don’t need to see it on the MOT. It’s a structured test and only things that belong in the MOT should be included.

If you want to tell your customers about additional issues you find out while conducting an MOT, please do so. You can just do it in the same way you tell them about issues you find while servicing their vehicle. Consider it part of your customer service, not part of the MOT."

Some may argue that the defective LPG tank could be given a Dangerous Fail under section 6.1.3.Any part of an LPG/CNG/LNG or hydrogen system defective but this depends on interpretation as 6.1.3 is aimed at the vehicle's fuel system so I would consider this not appropriate to a habitation system. Of course, they could Refuse to Test if they consider the fault dangerous, which would be the case of the tank actually contains LPG and is leaking.

In any event, whether or not related to the MOT test, it is a defect that no doubt should be fixed sooner rather than later.

rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down