The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick XL on a 17 plate, air suspension

5 posters

Go down

Warwick XL on a 17 plate, air suspension Empty Warwick XL on a 17 plate, air suspension

Post by woodlice Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:20 pm

Hi everyone, my warwick rides high on the back with the air suspension pumped up just into the begining of the green zone, inveribly I have to let the air out to get level when camping. It drives fine without air but I'm worried I might cause damage to the air bags.
thoughts?
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warick xl
Vehicle Year : 17

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL on a 17 plate, air suspension Empty Re: Warwick XL on a 17 plate, air suspension

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:49 pm

I would always keep the pressure in the green zone.
I think I have read a thread on here of owners who puncture the air bag in the suspension when driving whilst under inflated.

Mine sits up a bit at the back, I guess it is to allow for loading in the rear. It's called "rake" in Formula 1.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Warwick XL on a 17 plate, air suspension Empty Re: Warwick XL on a 17 plate, air suspension

Post by woodlice Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:56 pm

Yes I've done some research on here but it looks like in the past there was a design or fitment problem in that the securing bolts chafed the rubber. Ive checked mine and there's no way the fitted bolts would chaf evrn when deflated as there's a spacer but I don't know what's inside?
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:08 pm

Woodlice, my Medallion also sits tail up due to the air suspension.

I actually find this an advantage as the pitches on site are very rarely flat and I will sit the 'van either nose in or nose out to combat the slope on the pitch, making the 'van as level as possible.

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:13 pm

I used to have a swift without air but it was built nose down which as you say can be handy, I guess since I've had this one all my pitches so far have been fairly level. I just wondered if I have to pump the air back in once it's let out as driving wise I can't tell the difference.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Use the nose low attitude to your advantage and don't mess with the air springs. Mine are always just into the green.

Most pitches, car parks, pub car parks etc are sloped to allow water drainage, thankfully about the same angle as your nose down angle.

So, drive nose in, if there's a view you want it through the back doors anyway (Warwick Duo) and it'll be near enough level every time!

Used the levelling blocks twice in 1900 miles on out recent trip.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Ianh, that's what I use to do, I've had the van since Feb and I've had to ramp nearly every time! I guess it's just a luck thing there has been very little slopes + the other half is particularly sensitive as are my ears
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:04 pm

I thought the AL-KO Air Top was there to improve the ride quality and had no effect on the rake (jacking up the rear).
I have only just seen on the AS website there claim it can be used to level out the van on uneven ground.

Last edited by AutoSleepy_Don on Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:07 pm

YesvDon,
I haven't measured it but I'd say 3 to 4 inches in old money and I think without air it is still very slightly nose down
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:08 pm

I guess over time the springs will begin to sag and it will be handy but at the moment I don't see that it does much
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:11 pm

I doubt it is OK to drive it when under the minimum pressure but I would ask Mark at AS for an official answer.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:12 pm

Ok, I'll keep it in the green until I find out the answer. I can see it being very handy in a coach built especially if you have a rear garage
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Slaphead Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:55 pm

While we are discussing air suspension, I have a very slow leak in one side.  I contacted AirRide with a view to buying a replacement manifold as the leak appears to be from the tap on that side.  They replied (very quickly) that they do not use taps and perhaps my system is from AiRide.  I discovered there are two different firms and if you look carefully, one has 2 "R's" and the other only has 1.  
confused3  

Unfortunately, my system is from the 1 "R" company and so far, they have not responded to my email.

Dave C.
Slaphead
Slaphead
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Medallion (Merc)
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by woodlice Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:02 pm

Hi Slaphead,
My air suspension is made by Alko and fitted by Autosleeper.
woodlice
woodlice

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kev&Marg Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:09 am

I found a leak on the offside air which was due to the pipe chafing on the gas pipe near the leaf spring. This seemed to have occurred due to the poor routing of the pipe on the original build. I cut the pipe to remove the chafed section then rerouted and fitted a push fit connector to reattach. Only just carried out the repair so I can’t say how durable it is yet.
Kev&Marg
Kev&Marg

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:16 pm

Kev&Marg wrote:I found a leak on the offside air which was due to the pipe chafing on the gas pipe near the leaf spring. This seemed to have occurred due to the poor routing of the pipe on the original build. I cut the pipe to remove the chafed section then rerouted and fitted a push fit connector to reattach. Only just carried out the repair so I can’t say how durable it is yet.

Welcome to the forum, why not introduce yourself here

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down