The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions

+3
-mojo-
HildaB
Jonny_80
7 posters

Go down

A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions Empty A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions

Post by Jonny_80 Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:10 pm

Hi
Our trip is now a matter of weeks away, and I just have a couple of electrical based questions.
Might sound stupid, but when on 12v mode, does the fridge run off the vehicle battery. I am assuming it does as it only works once in the ignition is turned.
Also, we have mini inverter thing to charge mobile phone, camera and notebook from the cigarette lighter. But we were thinking of getting one of these so we can charge these of hab battery too.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Do people think this is a worthwhile investment, bearing in mind we are going to be going for 6 months to a year? We are planning to do a fair amount of non campsite stopovers so not wanting to drain the hab battery in between campsite stop overs too much. I have no idea how much of a strain, say charging a laptop will put on the hab battery. Likewise we dont want to drain the vehicle battery and will probably need the sat nav plugged in a lot of the time when we are on the move.
Any help would be gladly received.
Thanks again
Jonny
Jonny_80
Jonny_80

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ford Duetto

Back to top Go down

A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions Empty Duetto question

Post by HildaB Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi,
Just looked into our manual regarding the 12v fridge question. It says " make sure that the fridge is not operating on 12v when parked, otherwise you will drain the vehicle battery in a short time". So it seems it does work off the vehicle battery but only when on the move. Sorry cannot help with your other question, hope someone will be able to. up!
HildaB
HildaB

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions Empty RE Duetto question

Post by Jonny_80 Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:33 pm

As I suspected, Hilda. Thanks for confirming.
Cheers
J
Jonny_80
Jonny_80

Male

Back to top Go down

A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions Empty Re: A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions

Post by -mojo- Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:57 pm

Jonny_80 wrote:
Also, we have mini inverter thing to charge mobile phone, camera and notebook from the cigarette lighter. But we were thinking of getting one of these so we can charge these of hab battery too.

Should work Ok, but one observation about inverters - if you're using one to power the original charger for the phone, camera and notebook then you will be making significant power losses going up to 240V and then back to low voltage DC via the charger. I would not be surprised to see losses of 30-40% in that situation.

From an efficiency point of view it's better to get just one DC-DC converter if a suitable one is available. These days for many cameras and phones, this should just be a standard 12V to 5V USB converter.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions Empty Re: A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions

Post by gj1023 Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Re phone charging , I have connected with a fuse, a multiple cig lighter with usb slot to the hab battery. I can charge up anytime , if more than Usb connection need I just plug in a Poundland Usb cig plug.

As for running the fridge of 12V, it should only run on 12v when the engine is running , reason being to stop the hab battery running down

Last edited by gj1023 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
gj1023
gj1023

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:31 pm

We are using a lipo battery pack that has a 22 amp hour capacity while being the size of a thick paperback book, powers a laptop and charges phones ect . They are designed for powering video cameras for weeks away from mains.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy-Darcy Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:49 pm

Our fridge (1996 Duetto) only works on 12v when the engine is running. The red light on the fridge switch shows this. When not on hook up, we just use the gas to power the fridge which if not set too cold is proving to be quite economical.

Hope this helps, we too are on a very extended tour..............if things run flat like phones/lap top then we just can't be reached, heaven up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:23 pm

Jonny_80 wrote:Might sound stupid, but when on 12v mode, does the fridge run off the vehicle battery. I am assuming it does as it only works once in the ignition is turned.
Do people think this is a worthwhile investment, bearing in mind we are going to be going for 6 months to a year? We are planning to do a fair amount of non campsite stopovers so not wanting to drain the hab battery in between campsite stop overs too much. I have no idea how much of a strain, say charging a laptop will put on the hab battery. Likewise we dont want to drain the vehicle battery and will probably need the sat nav plugged in a lot of the time when we are on the move.

When the engine has started an electric relay operates to connect the vehicle battery 12v to the fridge. Another relay connects the leisure (habitation) battery to the vehicle battery so they both charge together from the engine alternator. When the engine stops both relays revert to 'off'. The habitation 12v electrics are disconnected from the leisure battery during this time to prevent damage from the high alternator voltage.

It is best to charge the things you speak of from the mains whilst on hook up or from 12v from the vehicle supply when the engine is running - you can get mulitway 'cigar lighter' connectors to help with this and, as suggested earlier, a dc-dc converter is best for the laptop ( [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] ) and 12v chargers for the phones.

If you are not on hook up and are parked up for a couple of days I would not recommend charging a laptop from the leisure battery as you will take a lot of its capacity (if you have a second leisure battery and solar panel you might get away with it) but you should be ok charging a phone for a couple of hours.

Enjoy your trip.

Peter
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto questions Empty Re -A couple of last (hopefully) Duetto quest

Post by Jonny_80 Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Thats all really helpfull. Thanks a lot. Greatly appreciated
Jonny_80
Jonny_80

Male

Back to top Go down