The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie

+5
Dutto
whisky
vwt4
CC
Tattybogle
9 posters

Go down

Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie Empty Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie

Post by Tattybogle Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:26 pm

Could someone please advise me regarding my 3 way fridge that just won't work. Before I start attempting its removal, I should cover the basics. I'm aware that it will only work on 12v when the engine's running but should the red or green rocker switches light up when they are switched on?

I can't try it on gas at the moment because I've run out, hopefully I will refill next week. Should I expect any noise from the fridge if it's working? It's currently 6 degrees warmer than outside despite being hooked up to the mains and has been for the last 6 hours.

I doubt that the fridge has been used for the last few years on my Trident. Many thanks, Mark.
Tattybogle
Tattybogle

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Trident

Back to top Go down

Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie Empty Re: Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie

Post by CC Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi Mark

Firstly the fridge will only work if it's on level ground, no one told us this when we purchased our previous Trident and we were left scratching our heads the first couple of times we used it, worked fine on 12v while driving. The rocker switch should light up if I remember correctly otherwise someone will correct me, the fridge is pretty silent in operation from my experience.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie Empty Re: Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie

Post by vwt4 Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:41 pm

Hi, red switch should come on when engine running and green one when on mains I think that is correct but if Iam wrong someone will put us right
vwt4
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Hi Mark.

VWT4 is quite correct. When the engine is running and the red rocker switch is on it should light up. If not find and check fuse in engine bay. When on mains green rocker switch lights up when on. The fridges are fairly basic absorbsion types (primitive) If it has not been used for some time and refuses to work. One of the old tricks is to take it out and stand it upside down overnight then refit next day. Generally works.

Good luck. Whisky.Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie 3459062273

PS. It is only the more modern compressor type fridges that make a noise.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattybogle Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:27 am

Many thanks for your prompt replies. My Trident is indeed parked on a 4 degree slope, front to back. My rocker switches don't illuminate except for the yellow gas ignition light that appears to work correctly, blinking as the ignition clicks. Wouldn't the 12v or mains switch light up despite being parked on a slope as the fridge attempted to function?
Tattybogle
Tattybogle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Mar 19, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Mark.

Yes.

Whisky.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:27 am

Hi Mark,

As per Whisky "Yes".

On "Petal" I sometimes have to rapidly switch the 12v switch "On" and "Off" half a dozen times before it actually lights up.

Before you invest in a new fridge (at some +£500!!!!) try everything including prayer!!

The thing is, if it worked OK once then the chances are that it will work NOW! They are incredibly reliable and, as a general rule, you just have to sort out whatever small problem has occurred to stop it working.

Normally, the only things that will stop it working on 12v or EHU are:
o On a slope.
o Blown fuse.
o Stuck switch.
o Other "no power" reason. (I once broke the 12v connection on a boat working on a charger in the same tight space!)
o Faulty/broken heating element.
o Escape of refrigerant. (This can be discounted if it works on gas!)

The above list is roughly in order of "possibility" so persevere.

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by LobbyLudd Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 pm

3 way fridge will work at an angle on mains or 12v setting (best to be as level as pos with gas of course)

1. Try mains first - Checking all fuses and/or circuit breakers. Green rocker switch 0 =off
I = on (lights up when on.)

2. Try 12v next (engine running) check fuse usually spade type (15a blue) next to the fridge 12v supply relay (mine is under drivers seat ) make sure gas dial is to off even if gas is off at bottle, or it wont work. Will light up red on 'I' setting if ok.

3. Try Gas - After storage it is most usually necessary to allow old 'stale' gas/air in the supply pipe needs to purge itself through and this can be frustrating sometimes as the time this takes, and can be a patient wait (until nice fresh gas has actually reached the ignitor).

If all above fails it's possible it could be in need of an approved workshop engineer to test it
sometimes even spiders have nested in the workings affecting gas jets etc.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by LobbyLudd Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:17 pm

P.S. Some older fridge models than mine may indeed not work at an angle on electrical settings.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:51 pm

Hi Mark.

The position of the control for gas use does not have any effect on the 12volt use nor does the gas bottle being left in the on position. The recommendation is that you do not use two sources to run the fridge.
This might have changed with the very latest modern vans but I have not seen this as I only worked on motor home & caravan gas installations up to November 2007.

Whisky.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LobbyLudd Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:11 pm

Qoute -

Dometic owners handbook "12v not working , trouble shooting" Gas dial on fridge fascia must be off or 12v will not work . I left it just on once and it seems the manufacturers are correct in this with my fridge at least ??????????????

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi LobbyLudd.

Working on the information that Marks T4 is a 1999 model I presume it has the Electrolux RM 4230 or RM4231 fitted. I may be wrong but if not the info I gave is correct. I do not for one minute think that what you a saying is not true and I have no wish to offend you. I am all for pooling information for the common good and appreciate your imput. As I worked on older vehicles up until I let my LPG qualification expire I have not come across the gas controls stopping the 12 volt operation. As they say you live and learn.

Regards. Whisky.Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie 256783

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by LobbyLudd Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:49 pm

Hi Whiskey

Since having the fridge checked for very slow ignition on gas a few years ago by an "authorised" service agent that I will not name.
Sorry but I took this info about "the gas having to be off or you cannot operate on 12v" from the guy along with other referalls to the owners handbook about the 3 different power options and I must admit I took this bit as gospel.

(Does sound as if I am wrong on this and his advice was actually a bit confusing blushes )

Presumably this is more for 'safety reasons' from the manufacturers highlighting the gas should always be off when fridge is not actually being used on gas and importantly for travelling.

(Hope you approve that I did point out that more involved gas matters should be entrusted to a qualified person at the end of the day if all basic checks do not result in solving the fault)

Regards

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi LobbyLudd.

As you quite rightly say the gas should be turned off when the vehicle is on the move. As this is when the engine will be running and the only time you can get 12 volt to the fridge its no wonder things get a little confused.

Your advice that a registered gas engineer ( check they have LPG on the Gas safe card) is employed on your van gas work is spot on. If you do have an incident and some unqualified person has worked on it your insurance company won't pay out.

Could be very costly.

Regards. Whisky.Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie 3459062273

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:08 pm

I can confirm that the amber nectar's advice of carefully placing the fridge upside down for 24 hours does work. I'd an 15 year old (not whisky!) adsorbsion fridge in my Hiace pack in while travelling in Croatia - took it out, inverted it over a day and it worked all the way home up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Clubman Anniversa

Back to top Go down

Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie Empty It's Working!

Post by Tattybogle Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:33 pm

Okay, I've sorted it out. Using my trusty Iphone spirit level (didn't think I would ever use it but it gives degrees from horizontal) the fridge was on a 4 degree slope. I created a pair of ramps and managed to reduce the slope to 2 degrees and the fridge gradually cooled down to the correct temperature. It was without doubt the slope that prevented it working. The fridge model is an RM4201 and upon closer inspection neither the mains nor the 12v rocker switches illuminate. They are made from solid coloured plastic whereas the yellow ignition rocker switch is translucent and illuminates. I've now had it working on all three power sources.
I really appreciate your replies - thanks.
Tattybogle
Tattybogle

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:49 pm

Hi Mark.

Great news. Pleased you've got it sorted. I will be glad to help at any time. You have also made me a new friend LobbyLudd. Its all good.

Cheers. whisky.Fridge Switch Etc Question From Newbie 524783431

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:29 am

Glad to hear it works - without wanting to put a downer on things, it might happen again - the max. for inclination is 6 degrees for these fridges - as time goes on they become less tolerant to inclines. A regas isn't possible but an inversion might prolong it's life a bit.

Are you sure the switches don't illuminate - there should be little bulbs in there.......................

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:24 am

Hi Tatty

Manual found here...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by dandywarhol Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 pm

Good link for the instructions - the diagrams at the end show the switches having 3 wires which would indicate that they are illuminated.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadRunner99 Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:27 pm

My fridge was working on 12v yesterday morning, but not since then. I have checked the fuse which had gone and replaced it but the switch no longer lights up.

As the fridge is silent, is there any way of checking its function?
RoadRunner99
RoadRunner99

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by vwt4 Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:08 pm

was the engine running? as far as I know the 12 volt switch only lights when the engine is running
vwt4
mike
vwt4
vwt4

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy
Vehicle Year : 1994

Back to top Go down

Post by RoadRunner99 Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 pm

yes the engine was running, I checked both whilst driving home yesterday and this morning.

will test again tomorrow on the way to work, as my other half needs my car.
RoadRunner99
RoadRunner99

Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down