The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

European hook up

+5
rgermain
Spospe
AutoSleepy_Don
dbroada
paul long
9 posters

Go down

European  hook up Empty European hook up

Post by paul long Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 am

Can anyone help please,  do I need to take my polarity plug tester with me or will my consumer unit take care of it. Many Paul.
paul long
paul long

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

European  hook up Empty Re: European hook up

Post by dbroada Wed May 23, 2018 10:26 am

Some people carry polarity checkers and polarity swapping extension leads. Other people dont carry anything. Im in the latter group.

An incorrect polarity is really only an personal issue after you start removing covers or start poking shinney objects in places they shouldn't be.

dbroada
dbroada
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK (Stolen)
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed May 23, 2018 10:49 am

paul long wrote:do I need to take my polarity plug tester with me or will my consumer unit take care of it
You should take the polarity tester with you. The unit will not un-reverse the polarity, but, hopefully anything fitted to the van will isolate both live and neutral when switched off in which case I don't think reverse polarity is an issue.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed May 23, 2018 11:07 am

I don't know if an 08 Ascot has the ability to detect and / or re-reverse polarity if needed. The people to ask are either A-S, or Sargent (assuming that they made your mains unit). If the Ascot is equipped with polarity checking and correcting apparatus, then you have nothing to worry about.

Standards exist for a reason, in this case to keep you safe.

If you want to be 100% safe take a tester and a means of reversing polarity should it be necessary.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed May 23, 2018 11:37 am

AutoSleepy_Don wrote:
paul long wrote:do I need to take my polarity plug tester with me or will my consumer unit take care of it
You should take the polarity tester with you. The unit will not un-reverse the polarity, but, hopefully anything fitted to the van will isolate both live and neutral when switched off in which case I don't think reverse polarity is an issue.

I agree, I take both tester and reverse adaptor, which I made, been on several sites past week with both polarities. Modern vans seem to cope ok, just as said don't touch either conductors just in case.

-----------------
Richard in
Sunny Provence
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Quilter Wed May 23, 2018 11:46 am

In our 2014 Broadway we don’t need the polarity checker ( though we always use it)

If polarity is reversed then the light on the microwave on/ off switch glows as well as the orange light on the stove which indicates that the electric hotplate is on.  Thank you to Peter Brown who explained why this was happening when we first noticed it some years back.
Quilter
Quilter
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EK TB LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 23, 2018 12:38 pm

Having the live and neutral connections crossed is completely safe and I don't check for that.

I do however carry a testing plug and if in any doubt, check that the earth is connected. If the earth is faulty or missing, that installation in the van becomes potentially dangerous.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave 418 Wed May 23, 2018 2:51 pm

We must be lucky with French site electrics not having any problems with our older Duetto or the Rienza. One site near Amiens had a round bollard in the middle of about six pitches with household stile extension leads and several four way adaptors. To my surprise the one we chose was wired correctly and earthed. I have a lead with a continental male plug. It seemed a bit against all our health and safety rules but I suppose its normal to them after a few glasses of wine. By the way the site shop sold bread almonds and wine.
This reminds me I am missing my polarity checker. Between the Duetto and the Rienza it went missing. I used to keep it plugged in so I wouldnt loose it. Some one may now have a Duetto with my checker still plugged in.
Dave 418
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rienza
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by AutoSleepy_Don Wed May 23, 2018 3:22 pm

I have a polarity checker but no reverse polarity lead  hugegrins I just use it for information.  It does show information other then reverse polarity.

I don't expect a reversed polarity hookup to cause me any issues. I use only the onboard equipment i.e. fridge, water heater, air con and battery charger.

I have noticed the EC500 has a builtin reverse polarity indicator.
AutoSleepy_Don
AutoSleepy_Don

Male

Member Age : 62
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Wed May 23, 2018 4:10 pm

It is worth noting, that apart from oddball lights on cookers, there is another problem with having reversed polarity and that is Eberspächer D2 heaters, as fitted to MK7 Duettos, will not work on mains when it is reversed and will instead default to diesel under these conditions.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed May 23, 2018 5:22 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Having the live and neutral connections crossed is completely safe and I don't check for that.  

I do however carry a testing plug and if in any doubt, check that the earth is connected.  If the earth is faulty or missing, that installation in the van becomes potentially dangerous.
Yes i have just returned from abroad and on one site no lights on my tester!!

Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by paul long Wed May 23, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks everyone, I've got all the leads and plug. Also on my consumer unit is a polarity light. Paul.
paul long
paul long

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : ascot
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down