The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electric hook up

+2
bikeralw
Dynamic
6 posters

Go down

Electric hook up Empty Electric hook up

Post by Dynamic Wed May 16, 2018 9:07 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a new cover for my hook up socket?  I have managed to crack mine  on my 2010 Duetto.  I have a temporary repair with vinyl tape to prevent it breaking completely but am concerned.  Any advice greatfully received.
Sue
Dynamic
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Electric hook up Empty Re: Electric hook up

Post by Guest Wed May 16, 2018 9:44 am

I don't know the type of socket on the 2010 Duetto however there are a selection available on this link.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

When I cracked mine on a 2004 Talisman I had to replace the whole socket as I couldn't source just the cover.
Autosleeper spares are worth a try.
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed May 16, 2018 10:00 am

I also bought and fitted a complete socket when my cover cracked, not an expensive item. If you can replace a plug on a flex (remember those days?), it's a doddle.
The hardest part is getting the old socket off the van. I've heard of owners using dental floss to release the sealant, but I used an old butter knife.
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed May 16, 2018 10:05 am

The spring on my cover failed, I did strip it down and repair it but next time I would just buy a new socket unit and save the hassle.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Wed May 16, 2018 2:32 pm

bikeralw wrote:If you can replace a plug on a flex (remember those days?), it's a doddle.
Yes, and how many plugs have we all seen poorly connected?  I've lost count how many I've re-wired over the years.  Lack of consumer competence is precisely why pre-wired plugs were invented.  

It is a doddle if you're competent, but there is plenty of scope to get it wrong.  Failure to make even a sound connection could have implications for earthing protection or the creation of a hot spot and overheating.

I would recommend that anyone without electrical installation skills should not attempt this job.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Wed May 16, 2018 4:24 pm

With a little bit of common sense, it is a doddle. I am not an electrician but I can replace like for like, with no problem. As for the socket cover, I have replaced a total of three over the years when both my wife and I cracked them when brushing past it in the front garden. It is so annoying! As Al said the time consuming bit is successfully releasing the old sealant, and cleaning it up. As it turned out it was a good job I had to replace the one on my Pollensa as it was originally poorly sealed, with damp around the inside timber frame. It had to be dried out! With one cracked cover I even managed to replace only the cover and spring from a new one. It wasn’t easy but was better than removing the whole socket I had only months earlier replaced!

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Wed May 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Dynamic wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to buy a new cover for my hook up socket?  I have managed to crack mine  on my 2010 Duetto.  I have a temporary repair with vinyl tape to prevent it breaking completely but am concerned.  Any advice greatfully received.
Sue
Sorry I missed your post,looks like you have to replace the socket as others have said.
Happy holidays,how's yours Duetto? Are you blue or Silver, FWD or RWD.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Dynamic Wed May 16, 2018 6:01 pm

Thank you to everyone for your help.  Ordered a new socket from leisureshop which looks and measures to be the same.   Will ask my friendly servicing man to fit when it arrives.  Meanwhile hopefully the vinyl tape will hold for next week’s visit to Bedale!
Boaby, my Duetto is blue like your photo and is FWD I believe.  Still very much a novice but love it and learning all the time!
Sue
Dynamic
Dynamic
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down