The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rear Bumper Protector

4 posters

Go down

Rear Bumper Protector Empty Rear Bumper Protector

Post by Kingham Mon May 14, 2018 6:38 am

Has anyone fitted one of these stainless steel type protectors to their Peugeot Boxer ?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I like the style in the picture, but can only find it online for the Peugeot Partner. The only one I can find for the Boxer is not as nice, being more of an industrial chequer plate finish.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Rear Bumper Protector Empty Re: Rear Bumper Protector

Post by Paulmold Mon May 14, 2018 7:26 am

If you use the rear doors for entry/exit these could be rather slippy.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Mon May 14, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks Paul, I forgot I'd seen that one when I was searching and it comes a close second, but I prefer the 'brushed' finish of the one that sits on top of the bumper, rather than a highly polished finish, which will show every scratch.

I'm also hoping to find one that just sits on top of the bumper, rather than wrapping round the vertical face too.

You're correct, the polished finish could be very slippery, especially when wet, but with my layout, there's no entry at the back, just access to the toilet cassette on the left and under bed storage on the right.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 15, 2018 12:53 am

By far the best solution is total replacement with a "Safe T-bar". Not cheap....but then it is a real bumper and not decoration. I can vouch for the build quality and strength as i had one on a Transit van. Reversing in a narrow yard i smacked the rear into a pre-cast concrete shack putting a huge crack in the wall. The bar was unmarked. The top panel has like a rough grit bonded on to make it non-slip to use as a step. The red strip is reflective.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Tue May 15, 2018 5:26 am

That's a serious piece of kit, but a bit OTT for my needs, which are closer to the 'decoration' you mentioned up!

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 15, 2018 2:50 pm

Kingham wrote:That's a serious piece of kit, but a bit OTT for my needs, which are closer to the 'decoration' you mentioned up!
Yes it certainly is and not without good reason you often see them fitted to vans used for commercial use. They are seriously strong and easily fitted to any pvc conversion.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Spospe Tue May 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Bulletguy wrote:By far the best solution is total replacement with a "Safe T-bar". Not cheap....but then it is a real bumper and not decoration. I can vouch for the build quality and strength as i had one on a Transit van. Reversing in a narrow yard i smacked the rear into a pre-cast concrete shack putting a huge crack in the wall. The bar was unmarked. The top panel has like a rough grit bonded on to make it non-slip to use as a step. The red strip is reflective.

If adding this bumper takes the overall length of the van to over 6 metres, then it will put it into a higher tariff band for many toll / ferry purposes. The standard Boxer long wheelbase is 5.98 metres, so only another 2 centimetres and you are in the next band. We have toured Norway, Sweden and Denmark and in those countries dimensions are measured electronically at the point of payment, so no arguments.

Just something to consider.
Spospe
Spospe
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Kingham Tue May 15, 2018 8:01 pm

I won't be fitting a Safe T Bar, but I'm already well over 6 metres, so it wouldn't put me in to the next category.

Definitely a consideration for the shorter wheelbase owners though.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Tue May 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Spospe wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:By far the best solution is total replacement with a "Safe T-bar". Not cheap....but then it is a real bumper and not decoration. I can vouch for the build quality and strength as i had one on a Transit van. Reversing in a narrow yard i smacked the rear into a pre-cast concrete shack putting a huge crack in the wall. The bar was unmarked. The top panel has like a rough grit bonded on to make it non-slip to use as a step. The red strip is reflective.

If adding this bumper takes the overall length of the van to over 6 metres, then it will put it into a higher tariff band for many toll / ferry purposes. The standard Boxer long wheelbase is 5.98 metres, so only another 2 centimetres and you are in the next band. We have toured Norway, Sweden and Denmark and in those countries dimensions are measured electronically at the point of payment, so no arguments.

Just something to consider.
I only do cross channel and always use DFDS and their motorhome lengths are 7mtr or over and 10mtr or over. Just checked P&O and using 6 and 7mtr came out the same so maybe Scandinavian ferries are either on a tight fit....or making easy money!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down