The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dreaded Engine Light On....... power loss

5 posters

Go down

Dreaded Engine Light On....... power loss  Empty Dreaded Engine Light On....... power loss

Post by troikafloyd Fri May 11, 2018 10:56 am

wave  Hi all,

Having problems with my Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper 2004 290 LX MWB HDI Diesel........ approx 60,000 Miles 

The problem started a few weeks ago with what felt like a 'jerk' whilst doing around 40mph. The red engine light immediately came on but eventually cleared and van then seemed fine. After several more miles it did the same thing again and presumably went into 'limp home mode' as then lost a fair amount of power when trying to accelerate.
I booked it in a few days later into a local but reputable garage for a full service who also hooked it up to a code reader but no fault showing ( no red light on dash at the time)

I guessed it might have been a bit of muck in system as appeared to be back to normal until a couple of days ago when the same thing happened again.  I decided to take it out for a 30 mile run where I could keep it at 70 mph for at least 10 -15 min to burn off any carbon deposits etc.

I thought this had done the trick but no, on the way back all of a sudden the van 'lurched' / 'jerked' and the red light appeared and then back into 'limp home mode' with light staying on.

I'm booked up for a trip to Wales soon so need to get this sorted!

Question 1 ....... Has anybody had this problem and if so what was causing it, could it be a Diesel Particulate Filter issue as it's my only vehicle but is often used for short journeys. I thought the 70 mph blast would have regenerated the DPF?

Question 2........ I want to purchase an ODB2 reader but have no idea which one would be compatible with a 2004 Peugeot Boxer........ has anyone out there used one for a Peugeot Boxer?

I'm a complete novice regards motors but willing to have a go and have no wish to be ripped off! :)
As always I am grateful for any advice / help given  allthumbz
troikafloyd

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Dreaded Engine Light On....... power loss  Empty Re: Dreaded Engine Light On....... power loss

Post by burlingtonboaby Fri May 11, 2018 11:44 am

We had a history of problems with our ,a 59 Symbol EGR valve, 09 Nuevo EGR valve, 08 Sigma EGR valve,Turbo replacement.
Engine management light came on with a loss of power ,hope to resolve your problem.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Dreaded Engine Light On....... power loss  Empty Re: Dreaded Engine Light On....... power loss

Post by paul bullock Fri May 11, 2018 11:51 am

Hi, I had a 2004 pug "Pilote" it didn't have a DPF ,I didn't think they were fitted until Euro 5 came in,so it cant be that. Any OBD2 reader should be compatible , we had engine light problems and the RAC man just cancelled them out with his reader (fault codes not recognised) so for 30+ pounds invested in one just in case! Best of luck with your problems, modern electrics are not all they should be!!!! Kind regards   Paul wave
paul bullock
paul bullock
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : nuevo ek 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri May 11, 2018 5:27 pm

troikafloyd wrote:wave  Hi all,

Having problems with my Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper 2004 290 LX MWB HDI Diesel........ approx 60,000 Miles 

I thought this had done the trick but no, on the way back all of a sudden the van 'lurched' / 'jerked' and the red light appeared and then back into 'limp home mode' with light staying on.

I'm booked up for a trip to Wales soon so need to get this sorted!

Question 1 ....... Has anybody had this problem and if so what was causing it, could it be a Diesel Particulate Filter issue as it's my only vehicle but is often used for short journeys. I thought the 70 mph blast would have regenerated the DPF?
Yes a few years ago though in my case Ford Transit 2.5TDi engine. Exact same description and engine management light came on and stayed on so ended up in "limp mode". Don't be swayed by the light temporarily disappearing either because it will certainly recur again.

My problem turned out to be fuel pump computer electronics which had failed. Ford used Lucas Epic pumps on those model vans and the Epic pump is no longer made. I had a Bosch mechanical pump fitted. It had to be converted to run with the turbo plus the injectors were also replaced. Oh and it also meant i got rid of the silly electronic accelerator and now have a 'proper' cable. It wasn't a cheap job by any means....cost me £750 with labour but the performance is way better to what the old Epic pump delivered.

That may be your problem.....but i'm not familiar with Peugeot engines so cannot be 100% certain though everything you describe is identical to how my engine reacted at the time.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by troikafloyd Fri May 11, 2018 8:46 pm

allthumbz Thanks to Boaby, Paul and Bulletguy for your input.

After reading your comments and doing the usual online research It looks like it could obviously be a number things but interesting Bulletguy your symptons were exactly the same.

As soon as I get the problem resolved I'll put up a post to let everyone know what the cause was for future reference.

Thanks again for your help!  smile!
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri May 11, 2018 9:25 pm

troikafloyd wrote:allthumbz Thanks to Boaby, Paul and Bulletguy for your input.

After reading your comments and doing the usual online research It looks like it could obviously be a number things but interesting Bulletguy your symptons were exactly the same.

As soon as I get the problem resolved I'll put up a post to let everyone know what the cause was for future reference.

As i said i'm not familiar with your engine type so hope for your sake the problem isn't the same, but the symptoms are identical. Unfortunately i was on the first leg of a tour and not long exited the ferry at Dunkerque where the engine was still ok. It wasn't until the following day as i drove off when the eng. management light came on and once on a straight road i knew immediately something was badly wrong as the max mph i could get was around 40....and that was on the flat! I got it checked by a Ford dealer in France but they mucked me around claiming they could repair the fault but couldn't do it until five days later. When i returned they said they couldn't get the parts needed....so i'd wasted five days being faffed around by them.

I had to get breakdown recovery to flat bed the van all the way back home.

Someone i knew who had an identical van had had the same problem, only his was intermittent and when the eng.management light goes off the power comes in as normal. But that didn't stop them going ahead with selling their van knowing about that fault which personally i was pretty disgusted with them over as whoever bought the van would eventually be faced with the same problem as me.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Sat May 12, 2018 11:39 am

We had several Techie guys in garages trying to diagnose the limp mode faults and warning symbols before we headed for a Puggie Gararge, none were successfull in getting past the Peugeot fire wall in the Engine management system.
Hopefully you don't go through the same costs as we did with our Puggies.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat May 12, 2018 5:00 pm

burlingtonboaby wrote:

We had several Techie guys in garages trying to diagnose the limp mode faults and warning symbols before we headed for a Puggie Gararge, none were successfull in getting past the Peugeot fire wall in the Engine management system.
Hopefully you don't go through the same costs as we did with our Puggies.
Boaby
Yes also without the correct software they can't do anything. Before i resigned myself to breakdown recovery i had one last go at a Bosch agent in Belgium recommended by a guy on the campsite i'd ended up on as my water and gas was running low by then. He got the readout within seconds of hooking up. Goodness knows what the Ford garage in France had been doing as i'd sat three hours waiting for them to identify the fault!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by troikafloyd Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm

Just an update although not much to report!  

I took it down to local garage who attached a code reader......... Code P0190
They didn't appear to want to take the job on as with this code it could be a number of things tied to the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.
I decided to book it in to another local garage for this Tuesday and given them the code although no doubt they will put their own reader on.
Will be glad to find out what the problem is but just hoping it's an honest garage! 
 I hate these 'generic' faults as it may be an easy fix but get charged for something else........or is that my sceptical nature! rolleyes Will update again soon........
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Sun May 20, 2018 1:18 pm

You may have googled already, but this gives a good overview of possibilities with that OBD code.  [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by troikafloyd Sun May 20, 2018 1:41 pm

up! Thanks Ploughlin, I had seen that but as always it's good to know this site is constantly viewed and questions / comments are replied to.....!

Will be glad when it's sorted, feel
s like a toothache!!  smile!
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun May 20, 2018 9:12 pm

troikafloyd wrote:Just an update although not much to report!  

I took it down to local garage who attached a code reader......... Code P0190
They didn't appear to want to take the job on as with this code it could be a number of things tied to the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor.
I decided to book it in to another local garage for this Tuesday and given them the code although no doubt they will put their own reader on.
Will be glad to find out what the problem is but just hoping it's an honest garage! 
 I hate these 'generic' faults as it may be an easy fix but get charged for something else........or is that my sceptical nature! rolleyes Will update again soon........
My only concern there would be why they didn't want to take the job on.  scratch head Your van is also the same age as mine was at the time of my problem.

My job was done by the garage i use which is a relatively small independent and were fully aware of the problem. They even agreed to work in conjunction with the guy who converted the pump then all the work was completed at the garage.

Good luck mate and do come back to keep the forum updated. Hope it doesn't prove too costly or major.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by troikafloyd Sun May 20, 2018 9:53 pm

Hi Bulletguy, 

I agree, I know they have a lot of work on but I'm guessing because it's not a specific fault they can't be bothered to spend the time on it.
I've got an M.O.T due in June and with the new changes that have come in, it would fail with the light showing!
Diesels as you probably know have been hit hard regards the new changes :(

Yes, as soon as I get it sorted I'll update the forum :)
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by troikafloyd Wed May 23, 2018 8:47 pm

Sorted!

As promised an update on this...........

The fault turned out to be a faulty Fuel Pressure Sensor/Regulator.
The fuel pressure parameter was too high.
A new Regulator has been fitted and now all back to normal  happyyes

Total cost...... £224
Thanks to everyone who has remarked on this post!
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu May 24, 2018 10:30 am

Good news,at least your back on the road.
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu May 24, 2018 2:53 pm

Glad to hear it....a good result and appreciate you coming back to let us all know!   agree3
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:49 pm

I had an interesting problem, the engine light would come on under load below 1800 rpm, above that you could floor it no problem. Also got a puff of white smoke . Long story, 4 trips to the dealer, lot of bits replaced, in the end it was just a leaking injector.  The fault code was fuel pressure out of range. The van started perfectly and ran fine otherwise. Obviously for a split second the fuel pressure ramp up under load was slightly low and triggered the fault. I tried lots of obd logging , but it was too quick to catch as the ond only about once a second. The van now drives like a peach.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down