The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Habitation checks

+4
harrysp
Paramedic
kaspian
Aldercow
8 posters

Go down

Habitation checks Empty Habitation checks

Post by Aldercow Tue May 01, 2018 11:06 pm

I have just had my 2nd habitation check done on my 2 year old Stanton by a well known dealer. A check sheet full of ticks except for a drip from the fresh water tank. The damp check also down as clear. This disappoints me as one spot lamp switch has not worked for months & after the winter I have a nasty smell of damp in the van with discoloured wall board to the left of the fridge by the rear door & under the seat base on that side. I would suggest this discolouration is caused by damp perhaps entering via the fridge vents on that side as reported on some other models on this forum. It makes me feel the £200 fee for the habitation check is more of a tick in the box money making exercise for the dealers. Everybody wants to point the finger and say habitation checks must be done but if your an engineer like myself & know your van you probably know more about it’s condition than a dealer who has multiple vans booked in for habitation checks which are all done in the same day. I now have to make a decision of either taking the damp issue up with the dealer or ignore, wear a clothes peg on my nose so I don’t smell it & think about getting rid of the van later this year.
Aldercow
Aldercow

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Mercedes Stanton
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Habitation checks Empty Re: Habitation checks

Post by kaspian Tue May 01, 2018 11:19 pm

Spot on Aldercow. I would be heading for the dealer and get him to repeat test and show me the damp meter test results around the suspect area . I have twice put a van in for hab check and got it back with new ' faults ' one major where they renewed the gas tail between regulator and bottle but did not tighten the fitting . On switching on the gas I was met with a massive gas leak! Charged me  £200 for  the excitement though!
kaspian

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : WARWICK XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Paramedic Wed May 02, 2018 8:25 am

Slightly overdue for the habitation check but as before will use the service of a mobile tester at £110. With regard to the damp test, I view every recording made and ensure those really awkward places are measured to my satisfaction. Peace of mind at the end of the day.

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway FB
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down

Post by harrysp Wed May 02, 2018 8:50 am

It might be an idea to get an independent mobile fitter to come and do a full damp test. We did that when damp was found at our first Hab check and we felt fobbed off by the dealer that carried it out. The cost of the test was similar to the cost of a round trip back to the dealer, and the test and subsequent advice far more useful than anything offered by the dealer.  The mobile did a thorough check, provided a full report and this was accepted by AS who subsequently did the work. I share your feelings on dealer Hab checks. 

H

Harry
harrysp
harrysp
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : Former Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 02, 2018 10:43 am

Regrettably I think Harry's comments are too often quite apposite. By no means all dealers are rogues, but it only needs a few to taint the whole industry - specially when forums spread the bad tidings so quickly and effectively!  shrugg

Mobile fitters depend very much on local reputation, so it would be unusual to find one who laid himself open to criticism by doing a shoddy job. The ones I've had experience with have been quite happy for the owner to sit and chat while watching them do the checks - plus supplying endless cups of tea of course!  hugegrins

I think they expect it (the observation that is - and hopefully the tea) and it can only be of mutual benefit. Usually cheaper too.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Wed May 02, 2018 11:50 am

Gromit wrote:Regrettably I think Harry's comments are too often quite apposite. By no means all dealers are rogues, but it only needs a few to taint the whole industry - specially when forums spread the bad tidings so quickly and effectively!  shrugg

Mobile fitters depend very much on local reputation, so it would be unusual to find one who laid himself open to criticism by doing a shoddy job. The ones I've had experience with have been quite happy for the owner to sit and chat while watching them do the checks - plus supplying endless cups of tea of course!  hugegrins

I think they expect it (the observation that is - and hopefully the tea) and it can only be of mutual benefit. Usually cheaper too.  up!

The only thing that concerns me is, do they get a good look underneath the van without a lift?

We had the caravan done at home when we had one a long time ago and the underside was only greased etc by the corner steadies.
-------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Wed May 02, 2018 12:22 pm

Hi Richard

I've only had one myself, and he had ramps - although I gave him mine as I had anticipated the need so it was easier. (Our dealer is very good and supportive, so I stay with him at least until the warranty runs out. Seems only fair in a way.)

My tugger mate has his caravan done, and the chap winds in the steadies and tilts the van so he can get underneath.

My main concern about dealer hab checks is where the tick boxes are filled in. Possibly at high speed in the staff rest room, with more attention being paid to the coffee and biscuits!!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed May 02, 2018 1:39 pm

Remember it's a habitation check not a vehicle service. I think the only details that refer to the base vehicle on the list provided by AS is to check body to chassis mounting. This obviously doesn't apply to van conversions. I've only ever used mobile guys myself and they've never gone underneath.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by BornAgain Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 pm

Our local dealer did the hab. check and the fitter noticed a cracked glass on the cab spots that I hadn’t seen. He ordered a spare (under warranty) and fitted when they arrived from AS.
BornAgain

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down