The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Symphony, good price, slight corrosion

5 posters

Go down

Symphony, good price, slight corrosion Empty Symphony, good price, slight corrosion

Post by Troubadour Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:10 pm

I've found a symphony for sale, looks to be in good Nick.
theres one advisory for slight under body corrosion, but supposedly the mot garage said its just a case of wax sealing underneath, to make sure it doesn't get any worse.
Do you think its worth holding out for something without any rust? seems unlikely in something so old.

its a 1997 symphony
comes with a fulk habitation check
68000 miles
he wants 9700 and says he'll throw in an inspection at the garage he uses. would you trust that, or do you think it's better to have it inspected by the AA?
I have no reason not to trust the guy, he seems honest enough.
Im getting it inspected, cos I don't really know what to look for, ill be learning about engines as I go.
What info should I expect to get back from a vehicle inspection, what are they looking for?
Troubadour
Troubadour

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Symphony, good price, slight corrosion Empty Re: Symphony, good price, slight corrosion

Post by Tigerbadge Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:26 pm

A online vehicle check for £9.99 is a cheap way of finding out a lot of info on the van as you can see all mot pass,fail & advisories etc.
Tigerbadge
Tigerbadge
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2007

Back to top Go down

Symphony, good price, slight corrosion Empty Re: Symphony, good price, slight corrosion

Post by Bill Silvester Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:32 pm

No doubt you have seen the items here about gearbox problems caused by emulsified oil. Check the feel of the gear change and if you can look at the oil. Our van had some corrosion resulting from rain leaks from the scuttle. Quite common on campers that spend more time standing still than being driven.

I had to tackle rust holes in the right side fill. I suspect caused by ingress around the heater and electric and water connections. Not structural, but needed fixing. Also had a rotted jacking point that I plated and welded. A good squirt of Waxoil into the fills is acgood idea. There are plugs that give access for this at foreword ends of the cills
Bill Silvester
Bill Silvester

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by daisy mae Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:47 am

Tigerbadge wrote:A online vehicle check for £9.99 is a cheap way of finding out a lot of info on the van as you can see all mot pass,fail & advisories etc.
Every vehicle I have been interested in when searching for one, I have done this check, never paid once, it is freely available service from the Gov. Web site, just google vehicle MOT check also tells you when first registered, and Tax whether due or not and date there of.
Best regards,
Margaret
daisy mae
daisy mae
Donator
Donator

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Hampshire Topaz
Vehicle Year : 2008 98

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Wed May 02, 2018 10:22 pm

You are right to be concerned with rust on the Boxer. Out riggers and battery area, and off side sill below the carver water heater are prone to dreadful rust. Gear box problems result due to water from an ineffective scuttle drainage system and a drainage pipe directed on top of the gear box vent. I would still prefer the 1900 diesel version as opposed to the 2.5litre or the petrol engine. There is no point in having the garage the seller deals with check the vehicle over. Even a £9,000 vehicle is worth a AA check isn’t it?
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down