The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Autosleeper Symbol 2003 slight leak inside

5 posters

Go down

Autosleeper Symbol 2003 slight leak inside Empty Autosleeper Symbol 2003 slight leak inside

Post by Markdell62 Sun Feb 25, 2024 2:23 pm

Good afternoon all we have a 2003 symbol with an awning on the outside.
On a winter check today I noticed and leak path in the overhead cupboard where the awning mounts
Looking on the outside it looks pretty poor and the awning is attached to two pieces of ply and sealant and needs a refit
My question is. Soes the awning come unscrewed by the two screws that hold it into the brackets on the van?
If so I could remove it and re work the mounting again with new ply and sikaflex to seal it.

Any comments and advice would be most welcome 

Regards

Mark
Markdell62
Markdell62

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symbol 2003 slight leak inside Empty Re: Autosleeper Symbol 2003 slight leak inside

Post by Markdell62 Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:55 pm

Markdell62 wrote:Good afternoon all we have a 2003 symbol with an awning on the outside.
On a winter check today I noticed and leak path in the overhead cupboard where the awning mounts
Looking on the outside it looks pretty poor and the awning is attached to two pieces of ply and sealant and needs a refit
My question is. So does the awning come unscrewed by the two screws that hold it into the brackets on the van?
If so I could remove it and re work the mounting again with new ply and sikaflex to seal it.

Regards

Mark
Any ideas from any members?
Markdell62
Markdell62

Male

Back to top Go down

Autosleeper Symbol 2003 slight leak inside Empty Re: Autosleeper Symbol 2003 slight leak inside

Post by Bilbobaggins Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:42 pm

Don't know the answer to your question,  but if you are patient no doubt someone will, most members are not online permanently and may only log in in the evening or every couple of days

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Feb 25, 2024 7:51 pm

Markdell62 wrote:Good afternoon all we have a 2003 symbol with an awning on the outside.
My question is. Soes the awning come unscrewed by the two screws that hold it into the brackets on the van?

Regards

Mark
while waiting for a reply, use the search function for awning.
May get some earlier help.
Micky
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Markdell62 Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:06 am

Many thanks
Markdell62
Markdell62

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Tue Feb 27, 2024 10:43 am

Hi Mark.
Is it possible to loosen the fixing bolts and squeeze in some Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure and re-tighten?
Just a thought.
Terry

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by Markdell62 Tue Feb 27, 2024 4:36 pm

newterry wrote:Hi Mark.
Is it possible to loosen the fixing bolts and squeeze in some Captain Tolleys creeping crack cure and re-tighten?
Just a thought.
Terry
That's a good thought actually I could do this inside the cupboard and slacken the plate and them put something in there
Thanks Terry
Markdell62
Markdell62

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Vandora Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:21 pm

Hi
I've had the same problem on our Symbol 2003....leaks from somewhere.....
The awning bracket at the front was loose and a lot of water appeared to be getting in, and travelling round inside, often pouring down onto the dash, and my knee !
The awning lifts off the bracket when the two screws on each bracket are removed.... however the access to the bracket bolts involved removing inside lining in front of the small window over the side door and also cutting a hole to be able to get a spanner in - even then there's almost no room to maneuver the spanner . The awning must have been fitted prior to the internal linings etc. as there's no other access. Given the weight of the awning the fixing through the fibreglass is pretty poor, even with a plate on the inside.
Anyway it seems to have helped reduce the leak considerably, with much Tolleys and Sika-sealant too.
Still get water in above the windscreen in heavy rain so rusting is suspected but again, not easy to get at.
Vandora
Vandora

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Markdell62 Fri May 17, 2024 7:56 am

Thanks for your reply luckily I tested the "leak" pattern on the trim materials in the front locker. Behind the cover plate it was bone dry so I think the stain was historic after I asked a valet company to wash and polish - they came with a petrol water pressure gun!
Never again.
Markdell62
Markdell62

Male

Back to top Go down