The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do I replace insulation of water tank?

5 posters

Go down

How do I replace insulation of water tank? Empty How do I replace insulation of water tank?

Post by MikeSueMiller Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:00 pm

We've just had a good ten days away in our 14 year old Symbol. Impeller pump for toilet flush had to be freed up (good advice on this forum) and I've just pushed on a new gear lever knob £11.99 from China via eBay after the original came 'came off in my hand'. 
I thought we had a leak from the underneath water storage tank when there was a large puddle under the van when the ground finally dried out. However the meter didn't show any dropping and I think it was water coming from sodden and tattered insulation as it has now dried out. 
Has anyone got any advice on how to replace/cover the insulation? An attempt to use duck tape resulted in untidy bits hanging down!  allthumbz

I've had a bit of a search and can't find anything on this elsewhere.
MikeSueMiller
MikeSueMiller

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

How do I replace insulation of water tank? Empty Re: How do I replace insulation of water tank?

Post by crosgor Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:23 am

Just remove the insulation altogether, it serves little purpose, it may delay the freezing of the water but equally it delays the defrosting once it happens unless you also have tank heaters.
crosgor
crosgor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : ex-Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

How do I replace insulation of water tank? Empty Re: How do I replace insulation of water tank?

Post by MikeSueMiller Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:14 am

Definitely don't have tank heaters in this van, although it has all the essentials. Thanks for reassurance about removing the insulation. It will be easier than trying to replace it.
MikeSueMiller
MikeSueMiller

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : Vehicle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:27 pm

Totally agree with Crosgor smile!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by andrewedmondson Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:12 am

Perhaps only insulate the pipes? They will freeze first. Easier to do and stays on. I'm about to do this, having removed the tanks to replace the leaking taps.
I fitted foil-backed foam insulation whilst the tanks were under the van. Some of it fell off. When the tank overflows, water gets underneath the insulation, making things worse. So I stripped it off.
In the winter, I'll take a few 5 litre water tanks and fill them regularly.
andrewedmondson
andrewedmondson

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 am

Absolutely spot on!

Excellent advice from both respondents.  up!
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Heanorboy Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm

The tanks on my van do seem very low and found that the underside insulation (silver sided bubble wrap) had ripped so I decided to replace not like for like but fitted a sheet of 3mm marine plywood, the insulation property is on a par and it also gives protection to the tanks.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex 2012 Dorset W
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down