The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bike rack

+5
pootler
irv636
carlc
peugeotboxer
Mel C
9 posters

Go down

Bike rack Empty Bike rack

Post by Mel C Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:52 pm

Looking to towbar mounted bike rack for our Kingham, any recommendations please. Want to carry two full size mountain bikes, is there any advantage in buying a three bike version for ease of loading?
Mel C
Mel C

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Bike rack Empty Re: Bike rack

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:14 pm

I've got one of these:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I wished I got the three bike version because a bike with straight handlebars will hit the rear doors on the inner most location.
However all it means is I have to turn the handlebars 90 degrees each time on loading.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:04 pm

I have one of these:-

Used it on my last van conversion. It's a quality product. It also folds up quite compact to store inside if you don't want to leave it fixed on your towbar when you are using your bikes. The storage box that sits on it as an extra, is also very useful and well engineered too.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by carlc Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:10 pm

the Thule one can tilt slightly backwards so it misses the back doors when bikes are on it
carlc
carlc

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:28 am

carlc wrote:the Thule one can tilt slightly backwards so it misses the back doors when bikes are on it
Not on mine unfortunately.
You still can't open the back doors.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by irv636 Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:17 am

I I bought an Atera Strada DL3 for our Kingham, check this link out, you can slide the rack away from the doors which allows you to open them without taking bikes off the rack.
irv636
irv636

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by pootler Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:47 am

We use Thule XT2 folding bike rack that sits on a Witter tow ball system This has been used successfully for five years abroad and all over UK. We carry either two Dawes Galaxies with which I don't have to alter the handle bars or two Orange mountain bikes where I do turn the bars to avoid hitting the doors. This is only a matter of undoing two bolts to alter each set of bars. Always be careful to position cranks, pedals and bars so that they don't rub on the other bike. Consider pipe insulation foam as extra protection and use extra locks.
The bike rack, when folded, fits under the rear of our Sussex Duo when on site and takes up little space in the garage at home.
The only possible issue is the weight, it seems to get heavier as I get older. mmmm

pootler
pootler

Auto-Sleeper Model : sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by jennyandpeter Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:04 am

We use a Maxx raxx for our bikes. 
Bike rack YA2hv38 
Remove a pin and the whole thing comes off. You can open one door with it on or lower it down and open both doors.
jennyandpeter
jennyandpeter

Male

Member Age : 63
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by jacktherussell Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:14 am

I bought a 3 bike towbar mounted rack,when i’m next home i’ll have to check the manufacturer out,as i’ve forgotten. 
There’s no way you could fit 3 bikes on without padding to prevent tha cranks rubbing the next bike,and at least one would have to have the handlebars turned. I find it works best with two bikes,with one’s front wheel on the near side and the other bikes facing the drivers side. If I remember correctly the rack is just the same as Thule,but was £100 cheaper.
jacktherussell
jacktherussell

Male

Member Age : 59

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 17, 2018 11:45 am

peugeotboxer wrote:I've got one of these:

I wished I got the three bike version because a bike with straight handlebars will hit the rear doors on the inner most location.
However all it means is I have to turn the handlebars 90 degrees each time on loading.

PB
Hi PB

Our Thule is a slightly different model, but the mod I've done may still work on yours.

We don't need to use the tilting facility so I've fixed the rack so it's permanently tilted by about 10 degrees, just enough to allow clearance for the handlebars against the rear of the van. I just undid the securing knobs and inserted a bit of wood so the tilting part was held open a little way. There's plenty of thread to tighten up the fixings, and I further strengthened it with some strong nylon zip fasteners.

Might be worth checking yours out. It saves having to reach for a spanner every time you load and unload the inner bike.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:31 pm

Gromit wrote:Hi PB

Our Thule is a slightly different model, but the mod I've done may still work on yours.

We don't need to use the tilting facility so I've fixed the rack so it's permanently tilted by about 10 degrees, just enough to allow clearance for the handlebars against the rear of the van. I just undid the securing knobs and inserted a bit of wood so the tilting part was held open a little way. There's plenty of thread to tighten up the fixings, and I further strengthened it with some strong nylon zip fasteners.

Might be worth checking yours out. It saves having to reach for a spanner every time you load and unload the inner bike.

Thanks for the tip Gromit.
Good idea.
I will check that out on mine.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul O Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:02 am

Try looking at bac-rak.com. Lots of variations. 

Paul O
Paul O
Paul O

Male

Back to top Go down