The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where to fit a Shurflo pump?

5 posters

Go down

Where to fit a Shurflo pump? Empty Where to fit a Shurflo pump?

Post by rgermain Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:56 pm

I have purchased a Shurflo Pump to replace my submerged pump, (works fine but for how long!) Having had a good look and reading a topic on here of how to fit it, I am having a problem in finding a suitable location for it. scratch head

Are there any 2015+ Duo owners who have such a pump fitted and are able to assist please.

I fully expect I will have to make a visit to see mark with pump in hand and have them fit it.

Cheers
--------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Where to fit a Shurflo pump? Empty Re: Where to fit a Shurflo pump?

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:11 pm

Hi Richard

I don't know your van at all, but if it helps Mark's fitter installed ours as near to the pressure switch as possible - largely because this made the re-alignment of the water pipes a lot easier.

He also fitted it on the floor, as he said it might resonate and make a lot of noise if it was fitted on the inside wall of the heater compartment - which is under the wardrobe on ours. (This is where A/S used to fit them before the submersibles.)

Having said that, he confirmed that it can be fitted almost anywhere as it's a self priming pump, and it occurs to me that fitting it a bit higher would ensure that it drained properly when draining down for the winter.

Incidentally, ours continues to work perfectly, as do those of two others I know personally who have fitted them.

Hope this helps.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:19 pm

My Sussex is a bit earlier (2010) and has Shurflo type fitted as standard. It's in the Truma heater area mounted on inside of front panel adjacent to heater outlet. I imagine your Truma heater is in same area as mine, if not I apologise if this is no use to you.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by biffobear Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:01 pm

Am I allowed to say Hymer? I have had one or two and the use the Twin Reich submersible and in 20 years have had to replace one. The same goes for Sureflo, had to replace one. The only down side of the Sureflo pumps I’ve had is if the van system is small like my present one cold tap Montana, then you do get a bit to much surge at the tap. This I have over come by fitting an accumulator in the system which has reduced it to zero. A plus side to the Sureflo is the taps are cheaper as you don’t need that micro switch but you do need a pressure sensor.  I have to say, it really depends on what van you have. Some are suited to one pump and some the other.
biffobear
biffobear

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana
Vehicle Year : 1998

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:28 pm

biffobear wrote:Am I allowed to say Hymer? I have had one or two and the use the Twin Reich submersible and in 20 years have had to replace one. The same goes for Sureflo, had to replace one. The only down side of the Sureflo pumps I’ve had is if the van system is small like my present one cold tap Montana, then you do get a bit to much surge at the tap. This I have over come by fitting an accumulator in the system which has reduced it to zero. A plus side to the Sureflo is the taps are cheaper as you don’t need that micro switch but you do need a pressure sensor.  I have to say, it really depends on what van you have. Some are suited to one pump and some the other.
Hi Biffo

Two things - would you be kind enough to give details of the accumulator you recommend? A friend (on here) is suffering from water hammer and I think it would solve his problem.

Secondly, are you sure you need a pressure sensor, other than the one that's already fitted in the Shurflo?

Cheers
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:24 pm

Paulmold wrote:My Sussex is a bit earlier (2010) and has Shurflo type fitted as standard. It's in the Truma heater area mounted on inside of front panel adjacent to heater outlet. I imagine your Truma heater is in same area as mine, if not I apologise if this is no use to you.

Thank you, that is where I considered fitting it. Just was not sure if it would get a bit hot being next to the heater. Also reduces the pipe run and fairly easy access to pump if required.

Just need to make up my mind to DIY or for the sake of a couple of hundred quid let the guys in A/S do it.

----------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:28 pm

Gromit wrote:Hi Richard

I don't know your van at all, but if it helps Mark's fitter installed ours as near to the pressure switch as possible - largely because this made the re-alignment of the water pipes a lot easier.

He also fitted it on the floor, as he said it might resonate and make a lot of noise if it was fitted on the inside wall of the heater compartment - which is under the wardrobe on ours. (This is where A/S used to fit them before the submersibles.)

Having said that, he confirmed that it can be fitted almost anywhere as it's a self priming pump, and it occurs to me that fitting it a bit higher would ensure that it drained properly when draining down for the winter.

Incidentally, ours continues to work perfectly, as do those of two others I know personally who have fitted them.

Hope this helps.

Hi Dave, Thank you for your help, I was a bit concerned about any noise, having had one on our T5 Topaz that made a real din when pumping. Thinking from your earlier post I will leave it to Mark etc.
--------------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Couldn't think of the brand of pump we have before my last post, just knew it wasn't a Shurflo but similar. It's actually a Flojet. Seems to operate slightly differently to Shurflo I've had before. With Shurflo it operated almost instantly and stopped maybe 3 or 4 seconds after you turn tap off. The Flojet doesn't start pumping for about 7 seconds and carries on after turning tap off for about 10 seconds. It's also much quieter than Shurflo that I remember.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:32 pm

rgermain wrote:Hi Dave, Thank you for your help, I was a bit concerned about any noise, having had one on our T5 Topaz that made a real din when pumping. Thinking from your earlier post I will leave it to Mark etc.
--------------
Richard
That might be best Richard.

Mark brought his fitter out to the van and we discussed the best place to fit the pump, and generally agreed on the job. Not cheap, and I did resent having to pay for something that should have been fitted in the first place. Mark was a bit cagey (understandably) but the fitter said he couldn't understand why A/S had stopped using the ever reliable Shurflo!

Apart from any other considerations, if anything should go wrong at a later date, you will have some come back if the job has been done by A/S.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:20 pm

Gromit wrote:
rgermain wrote:Hi Dave, Thank you for your help, I was a bit concerned about any noise, having had one on our T5 Topaz that made a real din when pumping. Thinking from your earlier post I will leave it to Mark etc.
--------------
Richard
That might be best Richard.

Mark brought his fitter out to the van and we discussed the best place to fit the pump, and generally agreed on the job. Not cheap, and I did resent having to pay for something that should have been fitted in the first place. Mark was a bit cagey (understandably) but the fitter said he couldn't understand why A/S had stopped using the ever reliable Shurflo!

Apart from any other considerations, if anything should go wrong at a later date, you will have some come back if the job has been done by A/S.

Thanks Dave,

I think that is my best way forward, looks a bit cramped in the heater/water area and not really sure which pipe or wires are what. Will contact Mark and hope it holds up for our 4 week trip to St Remy in May/June and will try and get a fitting date before our next trip to SW France in September.

I guess they can do it within a day, so will also fit in a stay at Broadway site.
-----------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maasai Warrior Sun Apr 15, 2018 9:56 pm

Hi Richard,

Just to confirm what Dave has said to you, Mark at AS is a good direction to go in. He was very helpful when we had our Shurflo fitted by them last March. It works perfectly as it should do.  Luckily they only needed to move our leisure battery an inch or two, to install the Shurflo pump. Also they removed the temperamental whale pump from the fresh water tank. On examination the jubilee clip connecting to the whale pump was covered in deep rust, not something you would want to remain in your fresh water tank. Suprisingly it was not made of stainless steel! 

Good luck having your new Shurflo pump fitted. AS should do it within the day.

Pete
Maasai Warrior
Maasai Warrior
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex Broadway EB owner
Vehicle Year : Mar 2014

Back to top Go down