The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Levellers / Chocks for Duetto

+6
Dutto
mccormw
Paulmold
murph
roli
suecamellia
10 posters

Go down

Levellers / Chocks for Duetto Empty Levellers / Chocks for Duetto

Post by suecamellia Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:12 pm

Hello, Can anyone advise me if I need chocks to level my Duetto on camp grounds and if so any ideas on make etc. ?

Thank you

Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Levellers / Chocks for Duetto Empty Re: Levellers / Chocks for Duetto

Post by roli Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:56 pm

It depends on the site Sue, Its always worth getting a pair, you may only use them occassionally. There are several makes you can get, so long as you get one thats not too narrow for the tyre it wouldnt bother me what make they were. Some will raise the van higher than others. Some people will make their own out of wood but the plastic ones can be hosed off easily to clean

Last edited by roli on Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 am; edited 1 time in total
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Levellers / Chocks for Duetto Empty Chocks

Post by suecamellia Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:18 am

Thanks for the advice Roger
Regards, Sue
suecamellia
suecamellia

Back to top Go down

Levellers / Chocks for Duetto Empty chocks

Post by murph Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:05 am

Hi Sue,
I would recomend a pair of wedges. Chocks are really to stop the vehicle rolling when you have not put the hand brake on firmly enough,
My own (there is a photo of them on the forum a few months ago) which are the tallest available sold by Millenco but they are long and proved difficult to store so I cut them in half, but I normally only use the lower pieces. Using them helps to stop the fat in your frying pan running to one side or to reduce the tendency to roll to one side or the other of the bed. You do of course not have to use them at front or rear you can also use them on one side only or even under just one wheel.

Brian
PS have found the photo of my levelers posted on October 21 last

Last edited by murph on Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding a PS)
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:41 am

I too would recommend a pair, even if you use hard-standing pitches, it's surprising how few hard-standings are actually level. We have a pair of these called 'level-up' ramps.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Millenco also make a similar pair.

I would NOT recommend these, although the weight stated on them would appear OK, they bend and split especially on soft ground, these are called 'level-pro'..
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

but the ones Murph recommends are probably the best, although as he says they are large to store, these are Millenco Quattro..

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mccormw Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:59 am

Paul & Murph this is also useful info for me.

Paul with the Fiamma model use I was wondering if they require the chocks, or are they stand-alone?

I had also come to the conclusion that the Milenco Quattros were probably the best bet. However, I was also worried about the size of these critters.

We are picking up our brand new AS Sussex duo this coming Saturday (can't wait) and hopefully the Marquis Guys will have a range in stock. I think the van conversions on a long wheel-base van need a higher ramp than coachbuilts on a short or medium wheelbase, so important to get this right.

The price that is charged for accessories means you don't wanna get things wrong too often.
mccormw
mccormw

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:13 pm

mccormw wrote:

Paul with the Fiamma model use I was wondering if they require the chocks, .......

We use the Fiamma ones on our Duetto and also carry two suitable 1" planks with two 3" x 2" lengths of wood for that bit of extra height needed on some sites.

The chocks are necessary for those long stays. It saves leaving the handbrake heaved on over a winter with the subsequent danger of seizure!

Hope this helps. Just remember, like many other items in life, "Buy cheap = Buy dear!" allthumbz

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:44 pm

Milenco also do a shorter version of the Quattro with only 3 levels instead of the four. These are surprisingly called 'the triple'....

Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by mccormw Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks Dutto. I agree, buy cheap and you will keep on buying.

You say you use a couple of pieces of 1" wood of dimensions 3" x 2". These are small pieces of wood, where exactly do you place them?

btw Am I the only person who gets confused on the Milenco pricing. Sometimes they are quoted as a pair and sometimes as singles - but at about the same price.
mccormw
mccormw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:26 pm

Sorry!!

The 1" (25mm) planks are 9" (230mm) wide and, at 24" (610mm), just longer than the Fiamma wedges. They are needed on soft ground as the Fiamma wedges tend to sink into the soil.

The two 2" (50mm) x 3" (75mm) pieces are just wider than the wedges at 10" (250mm) and they are placed under the far end of the wedge/plank combination for that extra bit of height. (I did once use just the 2"x3" bit under the Fiamma wedge on its own; but the wedge slowly bent under the weight of the van and finished up at the same level!)

They are all "rough sawn" as I discovered that on planed wood the Fiamma wedges tended to slip and slide all over the place!

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:44 pm

I bought a pair of these - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -. When parked on them on grass they stop the wheel sinking in and when using the ramps on tarmac they allow you to climb the ramp without squirting the ramp away. When used with the ramps on grass they stop the ramp gradually sinking.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by mccormw Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:46 pm

Right so the 3" x 2" pieces are used as a sort of wedge under the 1" plank. This gives you another 3" and as you say stops the Fiamma ramp sinking into soft ground. These extra bits of wood won't take up much space in the van when you are on the move either.

What a great idea, thanks for that one Dutto.
mccormw
mccormw

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by deckie Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:40 am

squip wrote:I bought a pair of these - [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] -. When parked on them on grass they stop the wheel sinking in and when using the ramps on tarmac they allow you to climb the ramp without squirting the ramp away. When used with the ramps on grass they stop the ramp gradually sinking.

squip

Hi Squip,

Thanks for that info ….

After years of Twin, Rear-wheel drive Yanks, laughing at muddy fields, the Clubman’s front wheel drive came as a bit of a shock to the system (It’s frightened of banana skins hugegrins ) , so have been looking at lightweight ‘cures’ (some rubbish makes out there !!) these ones seem just the job allthumbz (Will get two sets ..... to make a 'roadway' when necessary)

Brian

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:45 am

mccormw wrote:These extra bits of wood won't take up much space in the van when you are on the move either.

Hi Mccormw.

I also use Dutto's method to get extra height when leveling. I store my extra boards one each side of my roof access ladder. Fixed with two 3" bolts and wingnuts.Take a look at my avitar. This also doubles up to stop any unwanted censored! getting onto the roof.

Cheers. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 am

wave Just to say yet again ASOF is the best for really helpful advice. Going to Latitude festival soon after picking up my Duetto -- first time of use! And it will no doubt be a boggy field. You might have just saved me some embarrassing horrors between you!
So thanks! drinksallround

Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by MrsGrey Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:44 pm

Oops-- re-posted because I posted in an old thread on levellers......

I'm homing on a levelling system to get for my Duetto -- awaiting pick-up. the Monster Mats (see Murph's post) appear to be a really good idea for possibly muddy field sites. And they are designed so that Fiamma Level-ups fit well on them. BUT I see that Fiamma Level-ups tend to be narrow, which could be extra tricky if I am alone!

So, Question 1: what about Fiamma Level ups Jumbo, which are 23.5cm wide compared with 20cm for standard, combined with Monster Mat, which is big enough for them?
Question 2: would not a sloping leveller be more flexible? the Level-ups go in steps, so you could end up too high of low?

I'm not up for complicated adaptations -- sorry! Though happy to get some off-cuts to supplement a bought thingy.
Thanks for any help...
Jinny
MrsGrey
MrsGrey
Donator
Donator

Female

Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down