The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Duetto verses Symphony 95 to 98 models

5 posters

Go down

Duetto verses Symphony  95 to 98  models Empty Duetto verses Symphony 95 to 98 models

Post by mikethebike Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:06 pm

Hi, I have checked the sizes and the Duetto is the best for me.
I intend to make a decision in two weeks time.
However they may rust more than the Symphony if my earlier times with Fords is anything to go on.Wheel arches and doors.
I like the positive floor change .
Diesel engines are expensive if you ever go into London.(Not latest compliant versions.)
What are your views on FSH or proof of Milage on these vans?
Can we put a price on milage like per 10,000 over or under the average?
Any help either way on these models would be helpful in my final decision.
regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Duetto verses Symphony  95 to 98  models Empty Re: Duetto verses Symphony 95 to 98 models

Post by cyclops2 Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:57 am

Hi Mike,
I have a Duetto 1998 and I agree with you I prefer it because it has length ways single beds. I believe the Peugeot based one only has across the way double. Agreed the older Transits have rust problems but I believe spare parts are cheap and available. On these van based models mileage in my opinion is not a problem they are designed to do a lot of miles a year. I bought my Duetto off a dealer when 12 years old and 38,000 on the clock. It had only done 3,000 miles in the last 5 years and the dealer had to change exhaust and brake pads, discs etc. So a van that does mileage every year will be in better condition
Pete
Certa Cito
cyclops2
cyclops2

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1998 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Duetto verses Symphony  95 to 98  models Empty Re: Duetto verses Symphony 95 to 98 models

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:23 am

I have to correct Pete, the Symphony has two lengthwise beds or an across double, your choice. I personally think condition is the key when it comes to price although a salesman would argue this. If you are buying from a dealer, he will tell you mileage doesn't matter, if selling he will say mileage is important. As both models are based on commercial vehicles, mileage shouldn't be a problem, vans are meant to do a high mileage.
As for rust, you already know the areas on a Duetto to look out for, I've yet to see a rusty Symphony although I do know the front cross-member under the radiator can rot through but it's a cheap fix (cross-member around £85 + labour).
I'm afraid it really is your choice.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by cyclops2 Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:06 pm

I stand corrected, but are the lengthways singles without using the front seats, as in the Duetto?

Pete
Certa Cito
cyclops2
cyclops2

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1998 Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Hi,
The symbol/symphony does not utilise the front seats as far as I know, the drivers seat does not swivel. We went for the Symbol as the body (2000) model is wider than the transit of similar age and we did not need to take the extra cushions for the length wise beds and were left with extra storage. As I recall the Transit with mirrors out is the same width as the Boxer with mirrors in making the Boxer about 4" wider. Check if it will go down your drive. I would say the older transit was nicer to drive,
Regards,
Chris V
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:26 pm

cyclops2 wrote:I stand corrected, but are the lengthways singles without using the front seats, as in the Duetto?

Pete
Certa Cito

Correct, you push the two front seats as far forward as they go and use in-fill cushions to make up the length of the single beds. I believe the extra length of the Duetto over the Symphony is only used to give a wider wardrobe and a wider centre cupboard in the kitchen.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:24 pm

Paulmold wrote:As for rust, you already know the areas on a Duetto to look out for, I've yet to see a rusty Symphony although I do know the front cross-member under the radiator can rot through but it's a cheap fix (cross-member around £85 + labour).
I'm afraid it really is your choice.
I've just had to have the rear outriggers repaired / replaced at a cost of £300 (I don't do welding). My MOT man advised me a couple of years ago to take off the front cross member and give it a good wire brushing and coats of Hammerite & Waxoyl. I've also had to have the two front jacking points repaired and the sill sections in front of the rear wheels.(Not all at the same time).

Another point to bear in mind is that the Symphony / Symbol / Harmony has more headroom than the Duetto due to being front wheel drive.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:22 pm

Hi again,
Lets not forget that the passenger seat in the Boxer is very high so your feet don't reach the ground. The earlier transits had superb seats (driver anyway) with adjustable lumbar cushions etc, also the door locks failed regularly unless you had central locking confused3
Regards,
Chris V
ps don't forget you have to climb past the gearchange to get in the back of a transit

Last edited by chrisvesey on Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:24 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additition)
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:06 pm

thanks for the help so far.
have a week to go before i make the visits.
Any idea of a budget price for a wheel arch repair due to rust on the Duetto?
Very difficult to see rust in the photos!!
thanks
mike
getting excited at spending the money.!
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Still looking. have expanded to include both Duetto and Symphony as i do have the width for both.
Have found that photos are next to useless as they do not show any detail.
Have seen 4 and all have rust both types, different places.
Not easy to assses cost to rectify.
Nothing is ever near to peterborough.

The nearest one,a Symphony ,has a damaged passenger seat ( will not swivel) and has wood insert to jam seat !
Any idea of cost to replace and /or where i might get this done?
regards
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:12 pm

Can't cost much to repair/ replace a seat swivel. It's not a very complex part and it only bolts on to the bottom of the seat.
Sounds like the locking tab has either bent or sheared off, a decent sheet metal worker should be able to fix that for you.
A new one is only £120 here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Frank

boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down