The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2001 Harmony with major corrosion

3 posters

Go down

2001 Harmony with major corrosion Empty 2001 Harmony with major corrosion

Post by Spike Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:42 pm

Unfortunately our 2001 Harmony, which we bought 4 years ago, has just failed its MOT with major corrosion underneath. £2,000+ repair job to get it back to a value of approx £10k I'd guess

We are currently considering all options and wondered whether anyone had any ideas what it might fetch as spare or repair as it stands (MOT failure with corrosion); or whether anyone had any experience of companies which could fit the autosleeper interior into another van.  As I said, we are considering all options!).  

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

Keran and Andy
Spike
Spike

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Harmony 2001

Back to top Go down

2001 Harmony with major corrosion Empty Re: 2001 Harmony with major corrosion

Post by peugeotboxer Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:31 pm

The trouble with MOT failures is that the available terminology on the MOT computer system can be misleading.

Personally, I would get a few quotes to rectify the 'dangerous' items, get the MOT and then decide on your options.

It may not be as bad as you think. 

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:39 pm

If its worth 10k and you have to spend 2k on it, then its currently "worth" 8k, don't see you getting that for spare/repair somehow, sorry to be blunt!

Best option would be to spend the 2k on the repair, be 100% sure its really well done, get a new MOT then sell it

BTW you've had 3 MOT's since you got it and the corrosion is only mentioned now? Assuming no real corrosion for the previous 3 yrs, that's a lot in the last year?

Moving interior to another van..........unlikely. Be surprised if any of it would fit, even into another (rust free) van.

Best option, for me, at least, repair, MOT then sell asap!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:02 pm

I'd agree with both of the above. As PB says, sometimes MOT fails can be very misleading. On my Flair I was warned about rust within 12 inches of a seat belt mount, but when queried, it turned out that  the 12 inches was being measured across an air gap, and if you actually measured the distance on the chassis surface it was more like 2 feet away! It was actually rust right at the bottom of a rear sill, and it wasn't very serious either.

Generally, with motorhomes you will always get your money back by repairing to MOT pass standards or better, unless it's very old and very tatty, inside and out. You'll probably have people queuing round the block to buy an MOT fail off you, but none of them will offer you a lot of money, in my experience. They all want to make an easy (if you're in the trade) £4k by bodging yours up and selling it on before the rust comes back through.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Spike Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:46 pm

Thanks everyone. We've had to do a bit of welding every year since we had it, so it wasn't a huge shock, but the garage couldn't believe how much it has deteriorated in a year, especially as we use it every day.

We were already leaning towards getting the work done and selling on, and it sounds as though it is the best option.

We will be very sad to see him go though...

Thanks again for your advice

Keran and Andy
Spike
Spike

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot Harmony 2001

Back to top Go down