The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Charging question

+5
PLOUGHLIN
-mojo-
Paulmold
burlingtonboaby
davecook
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Charging question - Page 2 Empty Re: Charging question

Post by Mindhyg Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:47 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:From the link.

For Smart Charging to operate the PSU must be turned on (Shutdown Button in the “IN” position) and the
relevant options programmed (Smart is “ON” as default)
The smart feature can be overridden by selecting manually from the control panel at any time the battery to
which you would like the charge to be diverted to.
Hi P. For sure the batteries will not charge if the PSU is not switched on. But I read it that Don is saying that the 480 control panel must be left on as well or the batteries will not charge. Perhaps I have read it wrongly, dont think so though. I keep my PSU unit switched on, but the 480 control panel switched off and the battery/s still charge up regardless of whether on smart charge, or with vehicle or leisure battery selected to charge them independently. Perhaps he will clarify what he means.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:06 pm

How you read it is my reading as well, PSU on, panel off.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:30 pm

PLOUGHLIN wrote:How  you read it is my reading as well, PSU on, panel off.
Great P, glad we agree. I'm sure Don will clarify what he meant and it was probably just a slip.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecook Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:48 pm

Many thanks for all your input I have gained a lot of knowledge - Marquis are going to have it back and check it out as they agree there is probably something that needs fixing. Hopefully it will start on Thursday when I'm taking it in!
davecook
davecook

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:03 pm

davecook wrote:Many thanks for all your input I have gained a lot of knowledge - Marquis are going to have it back and check it out as they agree there is probably something that needs fixing. Hopefully it will start on Thursday when I'm taking it in!
Remember to keep us up to speed with the outcome Dave and good luck.
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecook Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:31 pm

Well I took it back to Marquis today-(had to drive it with the EBD dashboard light on) and it was slow to turn over. A technician tested the battery and panel and told me the instrument he was using suggested the vehicle battery just needed a good charge (i did point out that I had it on charge 3 days previous for 24 hours). As to the Ah level on the leisure battery very little to say. Unfortunately they are busy atm and i am away for two weeks so its going in mid March for testing. In addition the EBD light is now showing and my drivers mirror fell out on the way over. Luckily it held on by the wires and I was able to stop and pop it back in. I think they call this "snagging" in building circles! I'm not particularly happy about the situation but fortunately don't need the vehicle atm.
davecook
davecook

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Mindhyg Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:00 pm

davecook wrote:Well I took it back to Marquis today-(had to drive it with the EBD dashboard light on) and it was slow to turn over. A technician tested the battery and panel and told me the instrument he was using suggested the vehicle battery just needed a good charge (i did point out that I had it on charge 3 days previous for 24 hours). As to the Ah level on the leisure battery very little to say. Unfortunately they are busy atm and i am away for two weeks so its going in mid March for testing. In addition the EBD light is now showing and my drivers mirror fell out on the way over. Luckily it held on by the wires and I was able to stop and pop it back in. I think they call this "snagging" in building circles! I'm not particularly happy about the situation but fortunately don't need the vehicle atm.
Hi Dave. Could it be that you just need a new vehicle battery because the one you have wont hold it's charge. Go on then tell me it's new biggrin
Mindhyg
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecook Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:14 am

Just got back from a two week break without the van and the vehicle battery is completely dead again! Its going back to Marquis next week but in the meantime could I clarify. When I took it back last time I was told that to charge the vehicle battery I have to select it on the control panel. I did this and it worked. This time once on EHU the panel is indicating the vehicle battery is low and it has displayed a warning triangle. I have tried to switch the panel to charge the vehicle battery but it won't switch over. Is this because the vehicle battery is so low and if I leave it on all day will it switch to charge the vehicle battery after the leisure battery is charged? Many Thanks.
davecook
davecook

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:38 am

Which Sargent electrical system is installed in your van?

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:56 am

He has said in earlier post EC480, but that is the control panel I think, so a EC500 PSU?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Tue Mar 13, 2018 12:13 pm

Sorry, I didn't go back to page 1!

I'm guessing that the van was left off hook up and with the EC500 switched on so both batteries are flat? If that is the case, the leisure battery has to reach a reasonable level of charge before the system will let you switch to the vehicle battery.

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecook Tue Mar 13, 2018 1:43 pm

Thank you Peter the EC500 was off but I am hoping the situation is as you say-fingers crossed. I am thinking at this point that a new Vehicle battery will be the solution.
davecook
davecook

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecook Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:41 am

The van has now been on EHU for 24 hours, leisure battery charged but the EC480 (not 500) won't allow me to switch to charging the vehicle battery! it just beeps. Will now take my battery charger direct to the vehicle battery and give that a go. Any reason the panel won't switch or why the unit hasn't switched itself to charging the vehicle battery?
davecook
davecook

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:43 am

Try switching from smart to normal charging and see if you can select vehicle battery then.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by davecook Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

Thanks Peter, I have tried that but it won't let me. I have put my battery charger direct to the vehicle battery fingers crossed!
davecook
davecook

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Mar 14, 2018 10:10 am

If you switch the EC500 off with the top left button, when you switch on again it resets the system and I think you have done that. The symptoms suggest that the EC500 isn't seeing the vehicle battery but if that was the case you wouldn't be able to see a vehicle battery voltage on the control panel??????????

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GP1069 Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:50 pm

Just to clarify something said earlier.

If the EC500(main power supply) is ON but the EC480(control panel) is OFF then the smart charge selection is automatically the Hab battery whilst if fitted the solar charge goes to the Vehicle battery.

If the EC500 is ON and the EC480 is ON then the  smart charge selection is automatically the vehicle battery whilst if fitted the solar charge goes to the Hab battery.

In both cases they will be swopped automatically if smart charge is selected on the EC480 when either battery falls below the trigger voltage.

And you can check voltages and battery selection when the EC480 is turned OFF just press the centre button.

think this correct but got worms in my eyes so getting a migraine so off now.

AS Warwick XL
MINI GP #1069
GP1069
GP1069
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:40 am

GP1069 wrote:Just to clarify something said earlier.

If the EC500(main power supply) is ON but the EC480(control panel) is OFF then the smart charge selection is automatically the Hab battery whilst if fitted the solar charge goes to the Vehicle battery.

If the EC500 is ON and the EC480 is ON then the  smart charge selection is automatically the vehicle battery whilst if fitted the solar charge goes to the Hab battery.

In both cases they will be swopped automatically if smart charge is selected on the EC480 when either battery falls below the trigger voltage.

And you can check voltages and battery selection when the EC480 is turned OFF just press the centre button.

think this correct but got worms in my eyes so getting a migraine so off now.

No that is not correct. See here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Peter #1
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by GP1069 Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:00 pm

Yep, your right Peter my apologise shouldn't try to do with worms in me eyes and getting confused with the following.

EC4xx Systems will default to the Vehicle Battery whilst EC500 systems default to the Leisure Battery, Both
will then monitor the alternative battery until it drops below 12.4V at which point it will switch the current flow

to maintain a healthy charge on this battery.

AS Warwick XL
MINI GP #1069
GP1069
GP1069
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by davecook Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:37 am

Just an update for the kind people who helped me with my recently purchased Symbol issues. The vehicle has been back at Marquis for 10 days and they are going to fit a new vehicle battery as the one it came with is obviously damaged/worn out. The leisure battery is fine but needed recalibrating in order to show a correct AH reading. Unfortunately the dash panel warnings no ABS,no speedo, temperature etc were reset by Marquis but have not lasted so its going to a Peugeot garage to be looked at. So its all in the process of being fixed but unfortunately we haven't been able to use it since we purchased it 6 weeks ago! Hopefully better news after Easter!
davecook
davecook

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:14 pm

davecook wrote:Unfortunately the dash panel warnings no ABS,no speedo, temperature etc were reset by Marquis but have not lasted so its going to a Peugeot garage to be looked at.

Good luck - and hopefully Marquis will arrange for that to be fixed properly this time. If you've not already been warned, these symptoms generally point to a failure in either the dash insert or the ABS controller, and both are ridiculously expensive to replace - so it will be worth ensuring that the faults are noted as extant at the time you bought the vehicle. That way they can't wriggle out later if "resetting" it now only clears the fault temporarily...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2