The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Another charging question

4 posters

Go down

Another charging question Empty Another charging question

Post by Harper22 Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:00 pm

Having scanned through most of the threads re charging and also having a nosey in my manual im still non the wiser.
On a 98 Harmony with a zig charger and controll panel, does the charger charge both batteries automatically (doubtful) does it even charge the engine battery, and if so does the conroll panel (above rear doors) 12 switch need to be on or off to charge the engine one?

Only reason im asking is i like to have the radio on while on site and dreading the day I cant start her cos i have drained the main battery

Appologies if the answer is already here but i did do several serches with diff keywords hugegrins
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Another charging question Empty Re: Another charging question

Post by Paulmold Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:25 pm

Assuming your control panel is the same as my Symphony, then no, the charger does not charge your engine battery, only the leisure battery. We also like to have the radio on first thing in the morning and depending on whether we have TV reception, we play CD's in the evening and have never got to the stage that the engine won't start. We probably never remain on site without moving for more than 2 days at a time.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:31 pm

Charger only charges the leisure battery regardless of the 12v switch. (unless someone knows different!)

I start the engine every now and then to top up what the radio uses.

PB

ps. keep a couple of jump leads just in case.
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:33 pm

Hi Harper22.

The vehicle and the leisure batteries are normally. When the engine is running, the vehicle alternator charges the vehicle battery first then sends power to charge the leisure battery. If the engine is not running, your leisure battery is charged up of EHU, The charger being switched on the green charger light will come on at the zig panel. This will not charge the vehicle battery unless someone has fitted an aftermarket change over to your van. The newer vans have this fitted as standard.

Hope this explains. Whisky. champagne

PS. Make sure your charger is switched on at the charger. (Little black rocker switch on the front)

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:40 pm

Thank you muchly all up! This is pretty much what I was expecting. In all fairness I have a portable jump start unit which I have been taking away with me "just in case" and came in very handy when I couldnt get the leisure battery charging when I first had her and ended up having to "jump start" the leisure batt to ignite the gas fridge hugegrins (turns out the blade fuse and holder under the bonnet had melted n the relays were iffy)

ended up on cleethorpes show ground with no EHU and no leisure batt and the whole trip was done by torch light, Happy days hehehehe lol4
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45

Back to top Go down