The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mk7 TRANSIT side lights

2 posters

Go down

Mk7 TRANSIT side lights Empty Mk7 TRANSIT side lights

Post by frederic Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:12 pm

The front side light bulbs on my MK7 are the normal 5w 501's
These 'Osram 501 LED Bulb Cool White 6000k Twin Pack' are a direct replacement, and would act as daylight running lamps being brighter.
BUT the blurb says For internal or off road use only.
As the side lights stay on when the main beam is activated this means that the ultra bright sides will also be illuminated
UNLIKE our VW Up  that has a 33/5w bulb that is both daylight running and side light bulb in one. 
Anyone done this mod? and had any repercussions good or bad?
frederic 
frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Mk7 TRANSIT side lights Empty Re: Mk7 TRANSIT side lights

Post by -mojo- Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Are they E marked? If not (most LED aftermarket lamps are not) then they cannot be used (in theory) as external lighting, as E marked lamps and fittings are mandatory. But that doesn't seem to worry most people.

One possible outcome is that they may trigger the bulb failure monitor, because they are likely to take less current than a conventional bulb. Probably easiest to try it and see - there seems to be little logic to how these things are wired up - so for example on my VW T5 there is filament monitoring on the sidelights but not on the DRLs.

Be warned (if you're not already aware) - 6000K is quite a high "yoof Corsa blue" colour temperature.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by frederic Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:56 pm

6000K is quite a high "yoof Corsa blue" colour temperature.?? (light bluish? rather than bright white)

May go for the halogen upgrade that seems to be available 
Not as bright as the led ones, and yes I am aware that it may trigger a fault code if the bulbs draw a lower power 1w/5w each.
 Thanks
frederic
found this

• Less than 2000K: gives off a dim glow of light
  • 2000K-3000K: gives off a soft white glow, often yellow in appearance;

• 3100K-4500K: gives off a bright amount of white light; 

• 4600K-6500K: gives off a bright amount of blue-white light, similar to that of daylight; 

• 6500K and up: gives off a bright bluish hue of light, 

frederic
frederic
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz TipT
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:15 am

It's quite complicated with LEDs, because they are nothing like a standard hot filament - which will emit a wide spread of light frequencies around the published colour temperature. With LEDs there are lots of peaks in the light frequency distribution (because they add extra elements to modify the light output).

The end result is that you cannot really trust the published colour temperature to give you much idea of the main colour itself - the only way to know is to try them! I've discarded a few myself that were described as "bright white" but were actually very blue or purple.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down